How can i make custom projectiles?

Apologies if this topic isn't in the right place.

To preface, i'm a big newbie on editing WADs, and i'm praticing right now. I'm trying to make a custom projectile, but i'm stumped on HOW to do it. Can i do it only with SOC? do i also have to use a lua script to do it?

Thanks for reading, and again, i'm sorry if i posted on the wrong place.

This is the right place!

You can totally make custom enemy projectiles using SOC. We have a handy SOC tutorial on the wiki for making custom objects. Lua shouldn't be necessary in most cases, but if you want to give your objects some complex behavior that we don't offer through actions then it is a good option. Looking in other people's addons to see how they accomplished their custom objects is a valid strategy too!

Thanks for the tip! i looked a bit at the tutorials, but now i'm stumped at an error.

"ERROR: R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame 0/0 for MSHT"

What could this mean?

Did you make the freeslot like chapter 5 of the tutorial says?

Alternatively, did you surround the sprites with a S_START (sprite start) marker and a S_END (sprite end) marker? I find this new version of SRB2 to be particularly fussy about that, sometimes it just won't recognize the sprites otherwise.

Did you make the freeslot like chapter 5 of the tutorial says?

Alternatively, did you surround the sprites with a S_START (sprite start) marker and a S_END (sprite end) marker? I find this new version of SRB2 to be particularly fussy about that, sometimes it just won't recognize the sprites otherwise.

I did do the declare the freeslots, yes, but i didn't put the "S_START" before the sprites, it worked out, thanks.

for a final question, I'm having a weird bug where my signpost image appears two times, one on the top, and another below it, what could this be?

EDIT: Solved my sound question, have different problems now

Last edited:
Sure!
You'll have to forgive the sprites i'm using, as at this point, it's just a placeholder, as i'm just praticing the programation for now.

ue0Brnk.png

Also, why is it saying "YOU" instead of the character name on the results screen?

EDIT: I solved it, the problem was the "S_START" marker. since i needed it to make my custom sprites appear, i just made a PK3, slapped the markers on the "sprites" folder, where said sprites were, and called a day. seems to have worked so far. also apparently it solved the "you" question too, so who knows.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back