Broken Gargoyle Box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkz

Advanced FOFing Concepts
Alright, here's the issue. I have everything tagged the way it says in the Wiki. I have the sectors with the springs tagged properly to execute with pushable objects. The gargoyle flies around the box the way it's supposed to. However nothing in my test map changes. I joined my test map with the gargoyle box so I could bounce around and see what was going on. Strangely, the tagged sectors in my test map move as programed when I'm riding along the conveyors of the box. There are only 3 flags for the gargoyle in DB2CB. Deaf, makes it too heavy. Special makes it too light. And flip... well, flips it upside down. I've double and triple checked. I probably checked some 8 times and I just can't figure it out:( Perhaps somebody elses delicious brain meats has an answer!

That is what it sounds like but my sectors are indeed labeled with effect 16, Trigger Linedef Executor (Pushable Object).

Last edited:
You did everything right. The tutorial was wrong.

More to the point, it was outdated. It tells you to use Linedef Type 301 for the trigger, which used to work in 1.09.4 (when this tutorial was written). 2.0 added a trigger linedef type specifically for pushables and you need to use that one now. It's Linedef Type 314. Make sure the linedef is 1 fracunit long, since you're using one pushable.

The tutorial is awful in general and somebody should rewrite it. Maybe I'll get around to it in the next few weeks. The setup for the gargoyle box is also needlessly complex and rather difficult to time because of the springs. Look at MAP92 (Tidal Palace Zone) in zones.dta for an easier example of a gargoyle box that gets along with only conveyors.

Last edited:
Gargoyle boxes in general are a really nonintuitive, clunky, and unnecessarily complex way to create timed linedef effects. Use the backsector method instead...it's much better.

Great stuff, Crusher! I appreciate it. The box works perfectly now. And thank you Fawfulfan. The backsector method and it is much better for my purposes. I gotta admit though, the gargoyle box does add a cool steam- punk machine feel to SRB2.

You did everything right. The tutorial was wrong.

More to the point, it was outdated. It tells you to use Linedef Type 301 for the trigger, which used to work in 1.09.4 (when this tutorial was written). 2.0 added a trigger linedef type specifically for pushables and you need to use that one now. It's Linedef Type 314. Make sure the linedef is 1 fracunit long, since you're using one pushable.

Isn't Linedef Type 301 (Each Time Trigger) broken for most stuff anyway, let alone gargoyle boxes?

Also, Gargoyle + Trigger Linedef Exec. Pushable Object can work with the Once Trigger, as a note.

Then it's probably the fault of the linedef type being broken and we can hope for it to be fixed in 2.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back