• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Jasper

Status
Not open for further replies.
..but unless your spark burst doubles as an attack..

It does harm enemies but fails to harm players and bosses for whatever reason. I guess I could always remove that harming factor away from the move as it already puts you back into your spin, but it's nice knowing you can land on spots where enemies such as Sharps lay after flying about.

I do really enjoyed how instant regen played out, but it definitely made him pretty strong. The Metal Sonic race for example was completely obliterated, since with the 5 star jump Jasper can jump past the gravity flip platforming section and still speed past any straightway as long as he spindashes first.

I thought they only regen when the player is standing on the floor.

They'll regenerate as long as you haven't shot a star in the air or haven't used the burst, since we don't need you manipulating the system to stay in the air for a long time. This means that you can still run around and play through the level without worrying that jumping will stop your regeneration.

B-B-B-B-BIRTHDAY BUMP

It's my birthday today and because I'm so nice here's a present (ironically I got none yet).

3TnjCdh.gif

Yup. Super Jasper sparkles his own colors. I have done the unholy!

Speaking of unholy, Jasper gets infinite stars upon becoming super and the Spark Burst acts more like a stomp attack, sending him straight down. I know the Spark Burst did have coding for when Jasper was super in Great Divide, but turning it into a stomp made it much more useful considering you can go nuts with stars. The stomp burst also makes monitor bouncing hilariously easy, though it's nigh impossible to perform on enemies unless you get distance first, since the explosion gets to them first.
Still have to work quite a bit on those sprites (I want to also get full rotations for specific poses too) and tweak the code a bit more to be more efficient. We're getting there... kinda!

Wow, that looks amazing! Keep up the good work Jasper, I can't wait to see this in releases. :3

BTW Happy birthday :)

Although I couldn't use super colors already implemented, I just made Jasper cycle through different skin colors that are already built in. A variable constantly increases and around every two increases the color will change to a different color until it reaches the end and repeats itself. Of course there's also stuff that prevent those colors being put onto other characters when you switch, but those are just simple checks.

Jasper uses a combo of white, tan, pink, red, maybe beige?

B-B-B-B-BIRTHDAY BUMP

It's my birthday today and because I'm so nice here's a present (ironically I got none yet).

3TnjCdh.gif

Yup. Super Jasper sparkles his own colors. I have done the unholy!

Speaking of unholy, Jasper gets infinite stars upon becoming super and the Spark Burst acts more like a stomp attack, sending him straight down. I know the Spark Burst did have coding for when Jasper was super in Great Divide, but turning it into a stomp made it much more useful considering you can go nuts with stars. The stomp burst also makes monitor bouncing hilariously easy, though it's nigh impossible to perform on enemies unless you get distance first, since the explosion gets to them first.
Still have to work quite a bit on those sprites (I want to also get full rotations for specific poses too) and tweak the code a bit more to be more efficient. We're getting there... kinda!

Aww, so you didn't go with my Super Jasper concept?
11l7dj7.jpg

He is so macho that even his tail has muscles

9AjqmXH.gif
This tactic of charging a spindash and shooting stars to keep your momentum is actually the main reason stars are limited to Jasper in the first place. As already suggested before, this is a really easy way to get around difficult platforming sections and it easily breaks any level that has any sort of far horizontal platforming (AGZ for sure). I have a few ideas on how to possibly balance this ability out while still making it viable.

1. Implement a speed cap
Your speed gets a cut once you've uncurled and you've started shooting stars. I've been leaning in this direction for awhile but I'm not sure how I should implement it using Lua. Regardless, if this is implemented the speed cap will still be above Jasper's normalspeed by a good amount making it still very useful while not gamebreaking.

2. Change up regeneration rate
I'm still really on the fence about regeneration being really slow; I have it at a good pace right now and I really don't want to punish the player too badly for expending every star they have (haha you have no stars now you can't do anything). If the speed cut gets implemented, I can speed up star regeneration since the player can't abuse the ability to great lengths anymore.

Besides that, still working on sprites. Gonna try to make full rotations for Jasper's changed up idle, shooting, on edge, super idle, and anything that makes the mirror flip too noticable.

Last edited:
Why not do something like, if the player has 0 stars and lands on the ground, award them 1 star. That way they can still do SOMETHING after using all their stars up.

Why not do something like, if the player has 0 stars and lands on the ground, award them 1 star. That way they can still do SOMETHING after using all their stars up.

Giving a player an extra star after landing actually sounds like a pretty useful idea. You can keep firing that one star, land, and receive another star for doing so, but you won't actually regenerate any stars that way. It'd be useful if you need to do something right now with no hesitation. Might consider it.

To me anyway, that seems a bit cheap idea, my idea is, (MAKE THIS RARE) when you destroy a enemy, you get 20 or 10 stars. I disagree your idea Puppyfaic.

Puppyfaic's idea is pretty nifty. If this is used, then jasper won't be a pink loser after doing 5 jumps.

Phantom's idea is overpowered and stupid. Don't use this idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back