• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Humid Jungle - A 2D Race Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violo

Resisting Pony Avatar
Okay, this is my first 2.0 map. It was going to be a 1.09.4 level, but then 2.0 came. Anyway, this is the map with the Zoom Tube trouble if you remember. This has a large amount of textures, mainly from the Jungle Set. This has two paths, the forward path, and the backward path. You take the forward path which is closest to the screen which leads to a turn around onto the backward path which is furthest away from the screen. I have been focusing on the forward path, I only have a small amount of the backward path behind the near start. Also, due to my Zoom Tube problem, I would like someone to actually do it for me if someone doesn't mind. just pm me and I'll send it to you. I'll put up the gallery of the pictures now and I'll upload them separately soon.

http://img269.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=srb20005.png

srb20005.png

The start, you can clearly see MMB8 and the start line.

srb20006p.png

The waterfall and the start of the backward path. There's some sound here just to warn you.

srb20007.png

The start of my zoom tube problems, that speed pad will send you to a zoom tube which will end at the first waypoint. This is also where I start using Jungle Textures.

srb20008.png

After the zoom tube, you'll end up on a bit of grass into this cave. As you can see, the springs put you onto the next path. This seems to put up a bit of a glitch I need to work out.

srb20009.png

The start of the jungle, unforetunately, you can't see most of the orange section which has stairs for the backkward path and some linedef scenery. This spring also negates the glitch in the previous picture. This spring was always intended.

srb20010.png

To the left, a crusher, to the right a small space you have to spindash through. Also, that spring is the glitch. For some reason if you skip teh spring two pictures back, you can't hit the spring here. That will send you forward, then backward, as you can see in the next picture.

srb20011.png

This is the area behind with more variety of textures. Those springs, do nothing, they bounce you up and you come back down. Unless you have noclip, you can't go any further.

Note: This post is copypasta from Wadbase. I won't put a download up yet because there is no thok barrier and it is no where near finished.

Well since my damn computer wont load im gonna have to go with the fact that its...
[spoiler:2ccae4ae9e]AWSOME OMG ITS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/spoiler:2ccae4ae9e]

That looks good, Violo. Just work out the tweaks around the edges, and I'm sure you'll have a great map.

If it makes you feel any better, I'd be one of the first people to download it. =P

Its so great to see people are already starting to take advantage of those jungle textures! It is a little rough though, might I suggest using the texture in the last picture for more of your main detail and the ruins textures. Also, the second to last screenshot appears bugged... either way though, the floor blends with the wall, I'd suggest using different colors alongside one another.

Looks like you are going for a 2d race... this ought to be interesting, I'm quite looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

It seems those jungle textures are real popular. Hell, I was just about to test them out with a new level.

JEV3 said:
Its so great to see people are already starting to take advantage of those jungle textures! It is a little rough though, might I suggest using the texture in the last picture for more of your main detail and the ruins textures. Also, the second to last screenshot appears bugged... either way though, the floor blends with the wall, I'd suggest using different colors alongside one another.

Looks like you are going for a 2d race... this ought to be interesting, I'm quite looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

I tried using those ruins textures, but they just didn't fit. The only place I used them is on a small platform near the blue part of the forest. And if you mean the crusher area is bugged. It isn't, it's the same with the 4th pic. It's just the 2D camera colliding with a linedef with no thok barrier. And I may change the flooring of that area, didn't really notice it blending with the wall.

And that comment at the end, similar to Chisuun's. But eh, I hope to get this done.

You have a lot of flat ground. 2d levels, due to their lack of features, need to compensate with denser game play and less open space. If you want to make lots of scenery with a more or less fixed camera angle, that's great, but make sure the player has lots to do. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go and play Sonic Advance/any old Sonic titles.

The textures look nice etc. etc.

Is that some bilinear filtering I see?

In any case, there is absolutely no sector lighting variation in any of those screenshots. If there's anything to improve it's that.

Furyhunter said:
No, Cueball made a script that automatically resizes images that would stretch the tables. The resizing gives it a blurry look, which can understandably be confused with bilinear filtering.

BlueZero4 said:
Furyhunter said:
No, Cueball made a script that automatically resizes images that would stretch the tables. The resizing gives it a blurry look, which can understandably be confused with bilinear filtering.

No, not correct either. I got ImageShack to resize it for the forums.

on Edge said:
You have a lot of flat ground. 2d levels, due to their lack of features, need to compensate with denser game play and less open space. If you want to make lots of scenery with a more or less fixed camera angle, that's great, but make sure the player has lots to do. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go and play Sonic Advance/any old Sonic titles.

The textures look nice etc. etc.

Well, you can't do much with SRB2 in that. I plan to do a lot of platforming on top of the tree. Also, this is a race map, so, yeah. I get what you mean though. I think I'll add in some hills and some sector trees.

Also Fury, I never noticed. I'll fix that up, I usually take to lighting, I've been fogettiing lately. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back