New gametypes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest.....this sorta reminds me of the gametype shards in MYSTIC's mod.....except more complicated. =)

And yet people still wonder why I lack the motivation to make another release...

But what if you only had 4 people playing? If none of them wanted to be on a team then they would be happy to have a 4 way match, It would at least be cooler 2 watch then a 2-on-1 match witch is what is ever on anway.

犬夜叉;684773 said:
And yet people still wonder why I lack the motivation to make another release...
Hey, you're the one who decided to use an Inuyasha avatar. :rolleyes:

Well with the crappy pallet and resolution in srb2 the skulls would be nothing more than grey blobs.
I don't agree with crappy palette, but crappy resolution is just plain wrong.

And Hop Scotch sounds stupid and wouldn't work because I have not seen one other game with that type of game mode.
What kind of logic is this? How is a gametype stupid just because no other game has used it yet?

Maybe a King Of The Hill mode?
That's possible in conjunction with Match mode and Linedef Type 427. You can easily create a spot in a level that gives you points as long as you are on it. There have even been a few KOTH maps for 1.09.4, but AFAIK, nobody has made one for 2.0 yet.

Yeah, I failed. And I know that new maps would appear. But how about the others?
The reason you didn't get any replies in the suggestions topic is simply because these aren't good ideas.

4-way CTF has been brought up hundreds of times by this point. The following is a list of damn good reasons why it doesn't work:

1. There is absolutely no way for the teams to be properly balanced. Since you could theoretically take the flag from anyone, the obvious choice is to have everyone go after the weakest team. There's no reason to form alliances or any such interesting dynamics. Just go beat up the weakest kid on the playground for his lunch money. That's not fun for anyone.
  2. It would be horrendously confusing in practice. Good gametypes require the player to be able to understand what's going on. In normal CTF, it's extremely clear what the game state is at a glance. If your team's flag is gone, there is no issue in knowing who took it and where they likely ran with it. If there are three opposing teams, you'd have to constantly look at the rankings screen just to have a clue, and even then it would be hard to figure out where they've gone with it, since it's not really about capturing the flag as much as making sure the other team can't do so. While this might sound awesome to some of you, there is a fine line between chaotic and fast paced and just confusing to the point of becoming frustrating. This would end up in the latter camp.
  3. The SRB2 netcode would cry like a baby. CTF requires three people per team to be properly playable, and in all seriousness it doesn't really become balanced until you have at least four or five. For a properly sized four team CTF game, you'd need over twenty people. Anyone who has been in a game that size can tell you it has extreme lag and causes consistency problems.
  4. This kind of gimmicky gametype would need entirely new maps. We have a few gimmicky gametypes in the game already, such as tag. Tag has major problems, as we all probably know, but at least it doesn't require completely new stages, meaning that it's much easier to have support for it. No extra support is necessary for trying out things with tag mode other than just a bored coder who wants to mess around. Hence, the amount of effort required to implement tag is a lot less than this.
Chaos mode is such a dead horse I really don't feel like beating it anymore. It's not a gametype, it's a toy, and just because some people enjoyed playing around with it and the options menu it provided doesn't mean it was in any way a playable or decent gametype.

Personally, I don't want to see new gametypes as much as I want to see the gametypes we already have fixed up properly. While we have cool gametypes such as match and CTF, we also have a problem in that race and tag don't tend to work nearly as well. Why build something entirely new when we already have half-completed things implemented that need help?

犬夜叉;684773 said:

Maybe you shouldn't have a character with long hair for an avatar.

Edit: Heh, NC beat me to it. ;)

I think the dev team has better things to do than new gametypes, like finishing the actual game.

It turned out that I was the only dev member that seemed to be more worried about the multiplayer than the single player, I'd rather see more multiplayer innovation personally, but I don't care about the single player one bit, so I guess I'm a bit biased in that respect? :)

Take anything from TF2 and work it into SRB2, I say.

The fact that you can push players away makes it somewhat feasible, I guess you'd have to up their pushback if they were pushing the payload/capping a point though.

We already said CTF only works with two teams.
And Hop Scotch sounds stupid and wouldn't work because I have not seen one other game with that type of game mode.
If anything, I think soccable game modes, like they have in Counter Strike, like the Gungame and stuff.

Does there have to be another game with it, for it to be good? Besides, in XSRB2, have you seen the shards gametype anywhere else?

I really havn't thought of a name for this one,

Maybe there should be a game where a big ring or star or just SOMETHING big and obvious randomly spawns on the map (uses emerald spawn spots most likely) and who ever gets It now has to keep others from getting it. (It should weigh you down like the flag in CTF which prevents the player from using the character's ability, this makes sure people don't just fly the entire time). Who ever has the Item when the time runs out, WINS! or it could be so the person had to hold the item for, let's say ummm 1 min without losing it. If you drop it you can after about 3 secs pick it up again and the time will continue from where it was last. If some one else picks it up (even if they drop it the next second) the time will be reset.

I'd rather see new maps for the existing multiplayer modes. Or even better, see existing modes improved even more. Like race, because aaaa we've seen this brought up all the time, sonic is the only one with the chance of winning but that's perfectly okay for whatever reason.

If the monitor item boxes were always super sneakers, then Knuckles and Tails would always have a decent chance of winning.

Except in Toxic Citadel.

Super Sneakers makes all the characters the same speed, IIRC. The problem is that the characters simply weren't designed to be balanced in multiplayer or race. They were designed to be balanced in single player.

Like race, because aaaa we've seen this brought up all the time, sonic is the only one with the chance of winning but that's perfectly okay for whatever reason.
Well, how are you supposed to balance characters with different speeds in a gametype that's about speed? I see no reason to use Tails and Knuckles in Race.

Again, just make the monitor boxes always spawn super sneakers. I've tested this before, and it gave me first and second placement several times as Tails and Knuckles.

Yeah, but you're forgetting that doing that simply makes a new character "the best" depending on the stage. Hell, there are already some stages in SRB2 where Sonic isn't the fastest. There are also stages like ERZ2 where while Sonic is the fastest, you are taking a significant gameplay risk in playing as him as opposed to someone slightly slower but able to avoid many of the dangerous obstacles.

I don't really think it's possible to truly balance such wildly different character abilities, especially since one of them is based around speed. There is a reason racing games with character choices generally just have them be simply choosing something along the acceleration/maxspeed gradient.

Last edited:
You could always make Sonic double jump in race.
*hides from people with rocks who hate this idea*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back