Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniperific

Windows 7 will be different. Different from previous Microsoft operating systems that all had to ensure that applications designed for older versions of Windows would also run perfectly on the newest operating system. Backwards compatibility is a great feature and gives users one less reason to worry about when updating from an old version of Windows to a newer one.

On the other hand it does have an impact on performance and size of an operating system. The biggest folder of a Windows Vista installation is not the system32 folder anymore, it’s the WinSxS folder. The WinSxS folder basically stores different versions of program libraries like dll files which are needed to ensure that an application that is requesting a library gets the correct version it is requesting.

This is on the other hand a very redundant method and there are reports on the Internet that the WinSxS folder grows out of proportion rapidly.

Microsoft’s approach in Windows 7 is different. Windows 7 will not be binary compatible to older Microsoft operating systems. This does not mean that old programs will simply not run on Windows 7 though because Microsoft will be using virtualization to ensure compatibility with older applications that have been designed for a previous Microsoft operating system.

The huge advantages of this approach are performance increases for native applications and the operating system itself and a decrease of the distribution size itself.
Thats an article about the windows 7 been backwards compatibility, i am constantly watching for news and updates but i want to know what you think of windows 7

Not alot of information has been released but i have heard that programs like the windows side bar etc will be an optional install which means more performance.
Want more information, go here http://windows7news.com/

I still don't see the reason to buy (or even download) a new Microsoft operating system when I can just continue dual booting XP and Fedora 9.

The only reason i would suggest moving to this is because of the hardware support and because its backwards compatibility it should have the same requirements as xp im not sure because Microsoft hasn't released any more information about it.

Also the release date is said to be between 2009-2011/2012 i can't remember and also some screenshots (yes this is on vista but this is the software that will be on the windows 7, some already known like IE8 and some not.)

http://winfuture.de/index.php?nolayout=1&page=wfv4/BSv2/scg.show.php&pic_id=1223485055
http://winfuture.de/index.php?nolayout=1&page=wfv4/BSv2/scg.show.php&pic_id=1223485056
http://winfuture.de/index.php?nolayout=1&page=wfv4/BSv2/scg.show.php&pic_id=1223485048
http://winfuture.de/index.php?nolayout=1&page=wfv4/BSv2/scg.show.php&pic_id=1223485054
http://winfuture.de/index.php?nolayout=1&page=wfv4/BSv2/scg.show.php&pic_id=1223485050

So MS is dumping backwards compatibility for better performance(finally) and integrating virtualization software into the OS to act as a compatibility layer like WINE? Windows officially won't suck anymore! :D *shot*
Maybe this will mean less spywarez and viruses? *shut down'd*
Seriously, this should be a decent Windows release to look forward too, unlike the bloated mass that is Vista! *stabbed by Aero fans* I've hated Vista's horrid compatibility/performance ever since I heard of it/had it, and plan on dual-booting my PC with XP this week, sick of having a OS that's barely even half as responsive as it should be.

Im looking forward to this because it should run as smoothly as windows xp and can support all the recent drivers and devices as well as software etc, and it may have directx 11 *shot*

Dr.Pepper said:
So MS is dumping backwards compatibility for better performance(finally) and integrating virtualization software into the OS to act as a compatibility layer like WINE? Windows officially won't suck anymore! :D *shot*
Maybe this will mean less spywarez and viruses? *shut down'd*
Seriously, this should be a decent Windows release to look forward too, unlike the bloated mass that is Vista! *stabbed by Aero fans* I've hated Vista's horrid compatibility/performance ever since I heard of it/had it, and plan on dual-booting my PC with XP this week, sick of having a OS that's barely even half as responsive as it should be.

Virtualisation won't make it any less prone to spyware and viruses, infact it can produce more because there could be bugs in the virtualisation software that hackers could take advantage of. And it also won't make the OS any less bloated, either.

Once WINE becomes perfect and Windows XP is obsolete, I'm moving off Windows for good. The end. =)

GCFreak said:
Once WINE becomes perfect [...] I'm moving off Windows for good. The end. =)

Me too.

But I'll probably get Windows 7 in the meantime, because WINE is probably never going to be perfect. Of course, Windows 7 could always turn out to be another Windows ME. *shudders* In that case, I'm staying well away from it.

This reminds me of Sonic Next Gen. They made the game, didn't have time to fix things, forgot about it, and made something new. It seems to be the same situation here. Vista was a failure, so they forgot about it and moved on to the next operating system. To be honest, I'm fine with XP for now. I'm not getting a next-generation operating system until I know full well that it'll run as good as Windows XP does. Plus, it's so easy to have Aero Glass on XP with something like WindowBlinds.

The reason there leaving vista is because it failed to meet its goals and just became so bad that all they was doing was making it stable and not adding the features it was promised to have.

Also i know advertising is against the rules but if you want more news go here http://windows7news.com/

You basically repeated what I said...

Anyway, on the bright side, Windows Vista and Windows 7 both have nice looking GUI, that's for sure.

Autosaver said:
So Vista is nothing. D:

Fixed.

Yes it is.

Also, I think I heard that Microsoft is gonna remove aero glass for windows 7 and will try to improve performance. (!)

Public Windows 7 Beta To Be Expected in December

Good news for everyone who cannot wait to get their hands on the upcoming Microsoft operating system. According to Mary-Jo Foley at ZDnet Microsoft is planning to run a public beta test of Windows 7 beta 1 at the end of this year. It was rumored that participants of Microsoft’s two developer conferences in October and November (Professional Developers Conference (PDC) Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC)) would be the first to receive beta versions of the Windows 7 operating system. The most likely scenario would be that participants of the conferences will receive a preview build of Windows 7, a beta beta probably.

It is not yet known how the public Windows 7 beta will be delivered to the public. Rumors are that Microsoft will use the Microsoft Connect service to administrate the test and signup beta testers. Good news is there will be a public beta of Windows 7 pretty soon. Question is, will you install it or wait for the release candidates or final release instead?
Looks like we will be able to see what windows 7 will be like in december and see if its going to be a fail like vista or a win like xp =P

When I hear that "backward compatability will be abandoned" it makes me wonder if WINE was a wasted effort, as it is likely that the Win32 API will change and WINE's team will need to begin making a free version of it from the start.

Cool!!!

Cool!!! Windows 7!
Heaps of leaks on torrents, and offical MS screenshots available!
This version of Windows is going to be massive!! (As in the actual megabyte size)

Ummm, as I see those features, Windows 7 might be good, but i have to wait for a review of it, if it wins, i'll take this one when it's possible, or else, i'll take this one and upgrade it to XP.

Eh, when it comes out, I'll probably dualboot it to try it out. If it sucks, I'll just get rid of it :P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back