Official Level Design Contest - December Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

a441

Hey, hey! Contests are back in fashion! This is going to be an open-ended Match contest just like the good old days. Rules are:

1. All levels must work correctly in Match and Tag, meaning they must include the 32 Deathmatch starts. Other features are optional, but suggested. Chaos support is a definite plus.
2. Collaborations are allowed, and testing is encouraged.
3. No custom textures, music, or SOC editing. It's great if you can make those things too, but the idea is to focus on levels.
4. The map you enter for this contest must be made for this contest. You can't take an existing map you've already made, fix it up, and enter it: you have to start from square one.
5. Remember that these levels will be uploaded to the Addons section after the contest, so provide a description or you'll get Mystic's exciting message saying he doesn't have a description from you.
6. You may enter as many levels as you want, but please remember that more time spent normally means a better result.
7. All levels are due to me by December 27th, 2004 at 12:00 UT (December 26th, 7 PM EST).

Notice the weird deadline: I want to make sure the people in the community who get a "winter break" (from whatever) will have time to participate in the playing and rating.

Anyway! Submissions can be sent by e-mail to a441@srb2.org. That's the preferred method. If it's more convenient, you can also send me a file over IRC, though, that works too. So get cracking!

I'm fairly certain it's better if you send it WITH the level, so when they make the usual megawad it will look and behave correctly.

That said, I honestly thought the official contests had long since died, but if they're reviving when I'm around, I might as well give it a shot. Assuming I ever get any spare time...

Yes, do include a map header. Selecting the music, sky, and name for your level is up to you.

I thought of another question... Not a curious one.
Is it important what map number the level is? Like, should I set my map number to 70?

Most entries to previous contests I've seen are lazy and just use MAP01, so it really shouldn't matter. They're all put into a different map when the megawad is made, and that's beyond your control (incidentally why you want to include MAPXXD seperately - you can't predict where they'll need to put it).

Hmmmmm.. tomorrow is my boring day at school, maybe I'll think up a wad idea and get to work on it when I get home ^_~
AKA: Count me in! :D

Map number doesn't matter, and the map header doesn't need to be a separate file. I'm not lazy; it's just that without a map header, I won't know what sky, music slot, etc. you want.

You didn't say anything concerning flats or music. I'm assuming anything that's "not too big" is okay, then? How big is too big? Mmmm, My level started looking like crap just a little while after I started it, but now it's g00000d... :wink:

I think I`ll enter to. I won`t do nothing special, but I´ll give it shot. *shot*

Jason the Echidna said:
You didn't say anything concerning flats or music. I'm assuming anything that's "not too big" is okay, then?
3. No custom textures, music, or SOC editing. It's great if you can make those things too, but the idea is to focus on levels.

Flats are considered "floor textures."

I might as well enter, but I have a question:

Let's say we have a map that we made....partially. As in we have about 5 sectors in it, and the only thing is a player 1 start. Can I enter it (after finishing it, duh)?

If you haven't shown or described it to other people, that should be okay. I think that falls into the realm of "who's gonna know or care?"

Just as long as you're making new stuff, and not rehashing ("updating") an old map, (or giving us something that lay finished on your hard drive since August), you're okay as far as the spirit of that rule is concerned.

Okay, during school I thought up and drew out a map (using 4 pages x_x) so everything's all ready and stuff.. but one problem, it leans more toward the "CTF" type map. Are CTF maps that are Match and Tag compatible allowed?

Anything that supports Match and Tag is allowed. Just keep in mind it will be judged based on how it plays in Match.

Sorry if I'm being annoying.
Will lag/ping be a big issue?
When I send a WAD file, do I have to include the WAW and BAK files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back