SRB2 v2.0.6 released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so why is it that when I download this version, I get the message "A wad file is not found or not valid." I took a system restore right before downloading this because a similar situation happened when I tried to get 2.0.5. Why can't I seem to get a valid download of any version above 2.0.4?

^Protip: Try actually reading the topic:

Please note that you need to download the torrent to play the game. The EXE is only for those experiencing issues connecting to the MS -- it's not the full v2.0.6 package.

Run the installer, and place every item in your srb2 folder. The updates go beyond just the exe.

I did read that.

I was pretty sure I did download the correct package.
So I don't know. I'll try again I guess.

Due to the nature of this release, it would have been very impractical to create a patch. Just copy gamedata.dat and config.cfg out of your SRB2 directory before installation and you'll be set.

Due to the nature of this release, it would have been very impractical to create a patch. Just copy gamedata.dat and config.cfg out of your SRB2 directory before installation and you'll be set.

...Uh, when I did that and installed 2.0.6, I found the gamedata and config files weren't actually changed at all, making doing that seem unnecessary. =/

Okay, so backward-compatibility is slightly screwed up right now...

Seriously, first of all why we needed a new version SO SOON???

Second, while this looks a minor problem to some, but a major one to me: Due to the lack of patch, i'll need to create a new folder outside the 2.0.x, install 2.0.6 into the newly created folder, after that, move all important stuff to the 2.0.6 folder, delete the old 2.0.x folder, and rename the 2.0.6 folder that used to be with the 2.0.x folder for shortcuts/extension links/etc. to still work. Frust-Friggin-rating...period.

No, I'm not gonna do it now, maybe, if i'll calm down a bit maybe i'll do this process...

Okay, so backward-compatibility is slightly screwed up right now...
I don't see how, care to explain?

Seriously, first of all why we needed a new version SO SOON???

I never thought I'd hear that comment. SRB2 v2.0.5 had quite the pile of IWAD issues that we really had to resolve ASAP, so we just worked double-time to get something out to you guys. That isn't to say that the game is rushed -- we're just trying to provide you guys with the best experience possible.

Due to the lack of patch, i'll need to do (list)...
You can always, I don't know, overwrite your v2.0.5 installation? You won't even lose your configuration or gamedata. Even if you don't, you're talking about a 1-minute job here, so I don't see the issue.

Why would you even ask this? 2.0.5 was clearly broken.

The same thing happened with 2.0.0 till 2.0.4, but at least those had patches, that were easy to update...I'm aware 2.0.5 had lotsa issues (which i didn't mind mostly), but the fact that there is no patch for 2.0.6 wonders me why...did you guys do something very drastic a simple srb2win.exe, srb2.srb (plus the new zones.dta), overwrite can't solve it? If Spazzo says that installing a fresh 2.0.6 into an existing 2.0.x folder doesn't do that much "damage" (besides making a backup of config.cfg, which i think is the only file the installer will overwrite), than i ask this again: Why there is no patch?

Why there is no patch?

SRB2 v2.0.6 Installation:
-srb2win.exe
-SRB2src.exe
-SOCEdit.exe
-music.dta
-srb2.srb
-zones.dta
-sonic/tails/knux.plr
-ring.wpn
-soar/drill.dta
-fmod.dll
-r_opengl.dll

= 169 MB, unzipped

Theoredical v2.0.5-to-v2.0.6 patch:
-srb2win.exe
-SRB2src.exe
-SOCEdit.exe
-music.dta
-srb2.srb
-zones.dta
-fmod.dll
-r_opengl.dll

= 167 MB, unzipped

That's why.

Last edited:
I have to wonder, what's different about music.dta?

Tunes 14, tunes 97, and the credits theme.

Tunes 14 is the new version of ACZ2 (The one from the SP Trailer on Youtube, with the banjo);

The old tunes 14 replaces the copy of Rocky Mountain Zone 1 in Tunes 97;

And the credits now has a new live piano, which I don't really like much, IMO. =/

Last edited:
You're going to love this story -- there shouldn't have been anything different with it. Jazz and I goofed up.

Prior to launch, Jazz had sent me an archive of all the resources from the trunk of our private repository. The only problem is that I had modified and committed a few changes to music.dta myself which were meant to go alongside v2.1. Heck, the changes weren't even fully completed (tunes 14 lacks a LOOPPOINT, for example), but I didn't think to double-check the music, so I just threw it in.

Last edited:
Please note that you need to download the torrent to play the game. The EXE is only for those experiencing issues connecting to the MS -- it's not the full v2.0.6 package.

Repeat : What i do with the Torrent?

ZeldaGamer00 posted a fantastic guide to installation! I have edited it in to the main post.
How to Download SRB2 ,
Downloading SRB2
1. Make sure you have a torrent client installed. If you don't have one, I recommend µTorrent.

2. Grab the Torrent and tell your browser to open it in your torrent client, or save it somewhere (like your desktop) and open it there.

Copy-Paste on how to download the torrent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back