• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Inferno Renzal The Firehog (AKA Burning-Hog)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning-Fox

Does not approve of rails.
So uh yeah. I made a sprite. A while ago actually. But I came back and edited quite a bit. I dunno what to think of it to be honest. I predict getting a few "OMG ANOTHER HEDGEHOG CHARACTER" comments, but I want genuine criticism on the sprite rather than the character.

I put a bit of time into it.

INFA1_zpsf0077740.png

As you see it's slightly based around SRB2's shading. I couldn't get everything to remain fully consistent and it does look a bit pillow shaded to me. Also, yes, it uses SRB2 Sonic as a base. Yes this was an old sprite made a while ago. Sorry for that. But I didn't just edit the Sonic sprite itself at least. I tried my best to make it differ.

So... opinions.

What do you think? *winces*

TBH, the design is okay. The colors work and all.

Technique wise, the color contrast is very.... nonexistant. It looks like as though you only used 2 VERY CLOSE shades of each color to shade. That's a no-no. Especially if you are basing it off of vanilla shading. Vanilla shading has a definite contrast between colors. Just look at sonic.plr.

The small use of shades of color that you used makes it very hard to tell what's going on. TBH it took me a while to figure out that those were hair tuffs/locks on his right eye. Like I said before, it's a good idea to use more colors rather then a set amount.

The shoes are angled very....weird. I can tell that you used sonic.plr as a base. Just letting you know right now, sonic.plr is a BAD base. Try making the shoes/feet look like Renzal isn't tip-toeing.

There are a lot more things that I can point out right now (ex. anti-alias) but for now, I think you should focus on the coloring issues. Hoping that this character will stand out among the crowd. Please no thok/doublejump! :<

EDIT: Just realized that you said that you used sonic.plr. It doesn't really change my criticisms/advice though/

Last edited:
Yeah, I know what you mean. The main issue I have however is not going over the top with the colour choices. Yes the pallette varies a lot it's just the fact that I can't use anything more without making insanely bad differences. At least up close it looks bad. Also there isn't near enough space to fix the jacket and fringe. At least I can't see much. I'll fix the feet for definite though. And no thok or double jump for meeee. c:

Thanks for the valid critique.

Looks great, but I can't really see a good amount of shading. Perhaps you could use slightly darker colours for shades or add more shades. This character looks interesting and I would love to see more work done on it soon. Take your time, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back