Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the sneak peek on CN (the first episode) and I'm still not sure what to think. I love the fact that they're going to do another serial like 13 ghosts, but their attempt to delve into the characters' personal lives feels a little awkward.
Particularly when Velma tries to kiss Shaggy in the back of the van. It makes her come off as... well that kinda fits the nerdy characterization, but in Scooby Doo? I also couldn't help but notice they changed her design to make her even cuter.

That said, its still as cheesy as ever. So long as the cheese doesn't spoil, I'll look forward to it.

Me too, Jev. I hope this show turns out to be the next Cartoon Network show I watch. Right now there are only, like, 3 or 4.

Watching the pilot, it seems like they're trying way too hard to make it appeal to "kids these days" instead of just letting Scooby-Doo do what it does best - be campy and generally ridiculous. Oh, and they have confirmed what we have all suspected for decades - Fred and Daphne are in love.

Seems to me they're more reaching for an older demographic while still having enough kiddie mentality to turn everything into narm. And incidentally, some of "What's New Scooby Doo!" and some of the movies, particularly "Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase" did indicate rather strongly at a relationship between Daphne and Fred.

So far it seems to be quite in the opposite direction from the old ones. The old ones had really lazy style, but everything was fairly comfortable. However here, the characters are really rough (every single one of them is flanderized) while the art style is actually quite impressive (well, considering the property). I really liked the use of lighting in this week's episode, but Velma's really starting to scare me. The only good moment between the two was at the end of the second episode, which was also the most subtle the series has ever been.

At any rate, I think I have a pretty good idea of what kind of quality to expect from the series, and I wouldn't exactly recommend it. But I'll definitely be watching it anyway... because its scooby-doo (and curiousity from an artistic standpoint).

Wait, that was the season finale? Aw man, the overarching mystery was just starting to get good too.

I figured out Angel Dynamite being part of the original Mystery Inc before they revealed it at the end of the Siren's Song. I must admit though, it didn't occur to me that Mister E was as well until the beginning of this episode. Based on what Mister E said about them at the end, the other two might be Fred's parents explaining his father's suspicious activity, but I don't remember seeing Mrs Jones anywhere.

My theory is that the last mystery of the treasure of Crystal Cove split the old Mystery Inc up. Angel Dynamite and Mister E are both working together to find the treasure before Professor Pericles and so are manipulating Scooby and the gang to get closer. Meanwhile, Mayor Jones and the Sheriff are after the same thing, unaware of Angel and Mister E's plans, while covering up what really happened to Mystery Inc because they were involved. The girl is out of the picture, no clue why.

That said, there's no saying what their motivations are, if there even is a serious reason for them to be competing with each other over this. I don't think either Mister E or Professor Pericles are trustworthy though.

Can somebody clue me in as to why this show gets a new cartoon every bloody year? I never really saw the appeal to the original show, so I'm constantly bewildered to see the franchise get new entries as frequently as it does.

Just watch it. And after watching the season finale and looking on some sites, Fred's 'dad' has been declared by some as one of the most evil villains in the franchise's history.

Was that directed toward me? Because that doesn't even remotely pertain to what I said, let alone answer my question.

It's just different. a good change of pace. sure the characters are exaggerated in the personality department, but after seeing all the episodes and the downer season finale, I'm actually impressed. And Fred's 'Dad', never would have expected him of all things. i really cant explain it better. Ending's a bit of a downer, but real good setup for season 2.

Last edited:
No they're still airing new episodes, maybe CN is just a few episodes behind in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back