Netgame issues

I decided to try out netgames recently. It is pretty fun however there are some things that are bugging me. Overall it is not a fluent experience eventhough having a stable connection. I guess it is due to the code base being old and not to be conceptualized to transmit this many states. Every time a new player joined the whole game froze. And when a player with a particularly bad latency joined the game seemed to regularly freeze. While I knew these issues from 10 years ago I didn't expect them to be this apparent still.

I am really not trying to sound like a smartass here but shouldn't this be against the very idea of UDP being a connectionless protocol to wait for other clients currently connected? All too often the game would switch into resync mode. Maybe some precision could be sacrificed for a better overall experience.

Also have you considered establishing a peer 2 peer mode? I know this to be working exceptionally well in the game Cube 2: Sauerbraten.

Coming from my humble self having never programmed a netgame stack I know it must sound really smartassy and demanding (please excuse me) but I am curious on your opinions about this.

Also have you considered establishing a peer 2 peer mode? I know this to be working exceptionally well in the game Cube 2: Sauerbraten.
Wait a minute, I've just started playing it (after having it installed for several days because I've seen a video about this game) and now I'm seeing somebody else talk about this game right after!

Back to the subject, I agree for the p2p system as long as the server creator has a solid bitrate.

Wait a minute, I've just started playing it (after having it installed for several days because I've seen a video about this game) and now I'm seeing somebody else talk about this game right after!

Back to the subject, I agree for the p2p system as long as the server creator has a solid bitrate.

It's a great game to be honest! Especially among the Linux community. I however haven't played it in years.

I might've mixed up my terminology on this one regarding p2p, sorry. What Sauerbraten actually does is allowing clients to act autonomously. In order to check and report for kills and hits without having to ask the server host for permission. This might open up the gates for cheating but the overall experience should be smoother.

It's a great game to be honest! Especially among the Linux community. I however haven't played it in years.
Ah yes, the fact that this game is cross-platform makes it more accessible for people to play on too.

I might've mixed up my terminology on this one regarding p2p, sorry. What Sauerbraten actually does is allowing clients to act autonomously. In order to check and report for kills and hits without having to ask the server host for permission. This might open up the gates for cheating but the overall experience should be smoother.
I don't think anybody would cheat as this game doesn't really have a ranking like in most online FPS and that there aren't many people so less chances to see them.

Okay I'll stop talking about this here and make a thread about this game in the "video game" section of the forum to help you focus on the same subject.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back