Super Smash Bros [Wii U | 3DS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Smash run feels like a demo for subspace emissary and special smash. It is great that they balance the characters though.

Also, I think smash brothers is a lot smaller than donkey kong country returns 3D. Size may not the issue .

I knew the 3ds is getting smaller care since they announce the wii u is gonna have more music.

Smash Run is pointless IMO. It's a multiplayer feature but you mainly go on your own collecting power-ups. It's better for farming.

I do enjoy finally having enough space to run for a while as Sonic, though. Feels good.

Smash Run is really disappointing; based on my experience with Kirby Air Ride, I was expecting ruleset options, actual interactions between characters during the hunt phase, and the option to play the different "final battles" stand-alone. What the hell happened here?

I enjoy actually fighting against enemies from other games again, but because it's all randomly generated, the battles tend to feel eclectic and chaotic when there are like five completely different, sometimes hard-to-hit enemies covering the entire screen with their own hurtboxes. It doesn't feel right to try and wreck everything unless I'm playing a character that has some real weight to their attacks, like Bowser.

Smash Run for me is this...

I am also disappointed that there are no options for this mode, or any configurations to be changed. I at least a setup to change what the final game would be would have been nice.

As for smash run itself, at first I felt like some parts are full of either enemies that can be easily destroyed, or ones that you decide to completely ignore since there is no point in trying to defeat them. But now, I see that the more items you collect, and the more you keep upgrading your characters, the better Smash Run becomes. Now I can defeat any enemy with some ease, unless put in a certain situation which threatens me, which in my opinion is fun. So, Smash Run is not only for you to get stronger in the run, but to collect the items to become stronger before the run aswell. I mean, I have a character that can bring a person from 0% to 115% using a simple smash attack, and Larztard can unfortunately confirm this.

I now see Smash Run as one of the best modes, however far from perfect. A list of things I could change;

1.) the addition of an options menu
2.) Type of smash run (ie. Run, climb, glory, etc.)
3.) Larger map
4.) Boss doors
5.) A way of easing the player into smash run.

Number five goes back to what I said earlier, at first I found lots of enemies that weren't worth the effort of even trying to attack, but since the huge power ups through the equipment menus, it became simpler. I think they should have eased players into getting this point.

But overall, love it.

"Sonic Speed!" - Sonic from SSB4
"Sonic Speed!" - Sonic from M&S Olympic London Games

"Baah!" - Sonic from SSB4
"Baah!" - Sonic from M&S Olympic London Games
"Baah!" - Sonic from Generations
"Baah!" - Sonic from Colors

"uWoooah!" - Sonic from SSB4
"uWoooah!" - Sonic from M&S Olympic London Games
"uWoooah!" - Sonic from Generations
"uWoooah!" - Sonic from Sonic & SEGA All Stars racing/Transformed

Is it too hard to ask for new sounds? The past couple games have so much recycled sounds that they become annoying.

"Baah!" - Sonic from SSB4
"Baah!" - Sonic from M&S Olympic London Games
"Baah!" - Sonic from Generations
"Baah!" - Sonic from Colors

"uWoooah!" - Sonic from SSB4
"uWoooah!" - Sonic from M&S Olympic London Games
"uWoooah!" - Sonic from Generations
"uWoooah!" - Sonic from Sonic & SEGA All Stars racing/Transformed

Is it too hard to ask for new sounds? The past couple games have so much recycled sounds that they become annoying.

You forgot "Super Sonic Style!" - Sonic from SSB4/Generations

But Sanic speed is best speed.
And no, that would require Sega to put effort. You know how they can be with that sometimes...

You forgot "Super Sonic Style!" - Sonic from SSB4/Generations

Well, every sound of sonic's is recycled in that game (as well as a few other characters), but I'm just listing a few that were used in multiple games, enough to be easily recognized. I even solely remember, sonic's side smash is the same sound from Generations whenever he boosts. I remember each sound due to their excessive use.

It's not that much of a bother to me, but damn. To reuse the same sounds for the past, what, four games? It's almost as bad as Cell from the Dragon Ball Z fighting games...ohh...The awful memories of Cell's voice...Every single game, the same ugly sounds...

@Terraforming I personally like every Sonic game that came out (that I've played, and yes, I played 06, and secret rings). I think the put enough effort into the gameplay, into the levels, but the sounds...it's like they are a school bully who chews gum in class, and sticks his gum under a desk everyday, just so he can keep chewing the next day.

It's not that much of a bother to me, but damn. To reuse the same sounds for the past, what, four games? It's almost as bad as Cell from the Dragon Ball Z fighting games...ohh...The awful memories of Cell's voice...Every single game, the same ugly sounds...

Well, Cell's voice doesn't change for his other forms in in the Jap. dub, so there weren't any extra voice slots (or whatever you'd call them) for his other forms.

I'm surprised no ones saying anything about Fox's new voice... Yet.

Well, Cell's voice doesn't change for his other forms in in the Jap. dub, so there weren't any extra voice slots (or whatever you'd call them) for his other forms.

I'm surprised no ones saying anything about Fox's new voice... Yet.

Then let me start.

D;

I preferred the old one. Same with pit, but I'm still iffy on that one.

Let me also start the conversation of wasted character slots, such as Dr.Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina. Those characters are wastes of character slots, and could have easily been simple outfit changes. You know, like they did with bowser jr, or olimar, or Robin, or wii fit trainer? They could have added actual characters with great potential, rather than these clones. I for one would have loved the return of Squirtle, or the re addition of Mewtwo, or Roy? But instead they got wasted on clones.

And what's up with Gannon? Why is he exactly the same as he was in brawl? You know, the worst character on the roster due to his dumbed down moveset that mimics captain falcon's, except much slower? Gannon has so much potential, but they treated him like an old potato, and simply left out his glory. I mean, he could have used magic, or his swords, or anything other then a falcon punch/kick, which is weaker then the actual falcon punch and the Mii brawler variation of the falcon punch.

Last edited:
Boy oh boy, and I wanted to get some sleep.

Let me also start the conversation of wasted character slots, such as Dr.Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina. Those characters are wastes of character slots, and could have easily been simple outfit changes. You know, like they did with bowser jr, or olimar, or Robin, or wii fit trainer? They could have added actual characters with great potential, rather than these clones. I for one would have loved the return of Squirtle, or the re addition of Mewtwo, or Roy? But instead they got wasted on clones.

Okay, let's start off firstly by saying you completely contradict yourself. "Lucina is a waste, why didn't they forget about her and add back Roy?" Do you even know that Roy was literally Melee's Lucina? Hell, Roy was MORE of a clone; the only big difference was that his sword's sweetspot was the hilt, and not the tip, whereas Lucina actually has functionally different attacks as well as a different sweet spot and range. Also, Mewtwo was literally one of the worst and most broken (technical-wise) characters in Melee, bar Pichu, and everybody complains about him not being in the games for one of four reasons:

1. They're being ironic and doing it for kicks
2. They think that Lucario replaced him (he didn't? Lucario plays much better and is much more interesting than Mewtwo anyways)
3. They want to nitpick because Sakurai has to make sure EVERY CHARACTER EVER PLUS THEIR GRANDMAS APPEAR IN EVERY GAME
4. They're doing it because everybody else is and want to fit in

All of which are stupid. Don't do that.

Now onto the topic of the clones and them being "a waste". Simply put, you're wrong in every possible way. Sakurai himself admitted that he added the three "clones" in because they took less production time then one full-fledged original moveset character, and guess what? They literally all play different to their "original" characters; Dr. Mario is Melee Mario, weighing much more and dealing much more damage with his moves, along with a different DownB, and a different functionality-wise UpB. Lucina is functionally individual and calling her a clone is like calling Falco or Toon Link a clone at this point (just because movesets are similar doesn't mean they're exactly the same character), and Dark Pit even plays different compared to regular Pit, thanks to his custom sidespecial, more damaging but slower and harder to turn bow, and lack of an infinite.

And what's up with Gannon? Why is he exactly the same as he was in brawl? You know, the worst character on the roster due to his dumbed down moveset that mimics captain falcon's, except much slower? Gannon has so much potential, but they treated him like an old potato, and simply left out his glory. I mean, he could have used magic, or his swords, or anything other then a falcon punch/kick, which is weaker then the actual falcon punch and the Mii brawler variation of the falcon punch.

You realize that Ganon is considered one of the best characters in the game currently, right? Maybe you just don't know how to use him? Or maybe you're just upset because "boohoo his moves have similar functions to Falcon's". Get over it, honestly. The only clone complaining that isn't "whining for the sake of whining" or "whining without understanding completely what one is whining about" is Pichu being a shitty clone of Pikachu.

Sm4sh has 15 completely original new characters (counting all three types of Mii Fighters), even more if you count re-designs like Pit and Charizard as "new". Don't whine about how three characters have similar movesets to other characters when A. they are completely different in functionality, B. It was either them or none at all, and C. There are 15 new god damn characters.

Gannon the best? That's the worst joke I've heard. He is slow, and his moves involve too much risk. The best Gannon is for is a punching bag, seeing as to how he can't even escape or fight danger since he is too slow to even combat or escape it.

While the clones do have some differences, they aren't so much so that makes an entire different experience while playing them. And even if so, isn't that why there are equipments? To change your fighters stats, to be faster, or stronger? And in terms of Mario's down special, wasn't there something in the game where you can change specials? Yeah, they could have expanded it a bit to include more varieties of moves, such as the down special of Dr.Mario instead of an entire different character slot. This would have been a more customizable approach, and allowed better possibilities.

I think a lot of people forget that clones don't come at the cost of a complete, original character. Clones are quick to add and are basically "free" content from a developer's perspective. Would you have rather they simply not existed at all? It's not like if they didn't exist you would have gotten an original character in their place. There would just be three less characters in the roster. I for one am quite happy Lucina was included with her own slot, personally.

Well, actually some characters could've been additionnal "outfits" actually, Dr. Mario taking a slot is pointless, it's like if Wario and "Biker"Wario were in two different slots. Tough, having Zelda and Sheik on different slots is actually much better, but they weren't clones anyways, they have a totally different gameplay.

Now about Ganon, never liked his gameplay, he is much too slow and his attacks can be dodge just by sidestepping on the right moment. By another way, some people may like him, but I'm not part of them.

EDIT:

I was playing in French with the same lines from M&S 2014 and hopped to listen back the "You're too slow" when turning in English but...
RIP You're too slow. 2008-2008. DED.

Last edited:
Dr. Mario taking a slot is pointless

The only people who think this are those who don't understand how the two characters play. It's like arguing that Falco is pointless because many of his moves are similar to Fox.

The only people who think this are those who don't understand how the two characters play. It's like arguing that Falco is pointless because many of his moves are similar to Fox.

What I am saying is that the special moves are indeed different, but not enough to create a new character. They could have simply made more custom special moves in the custom character menu to hold these moves that these characters have.

Personally I would prefer it if the characters' had their own complete move sets. Sure, it would probably take longer if they did it that way, but I think gameplay diversity is vital to keep things fresh and unique. Whilst I hate clone characters, I can find a solution by just switching the move set with their custom moves. That way I feel I'm playing as someone different. I for one would of preferred it if the clone fighters would be alternate costumes, but that's me.

Ganon can be hard to use because of his heavy weight and difficult aerial combat, but he can be used well with enough practice. Same with Little Mac, despite his aerial combat being awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back