[New problem]SRB2DB 2.0 Config broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Hack

Known as Wind on SRB2
I recently downloaded the latest SRB2DoomBuilder config for 2.0 and I noticed some odd stuff...

problems-db1.png

Waterfalls don't show, water FOFs turn the ceilings brightness down, and some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Can this be fixed? Or am I the only one getting this problem. -_-'

Nevermind, found the problem out.

Last edited:
My first question would be does the water fall show up in the real game? If so, then no big deal 3d mode is a bit messed up.

If it doesn't show in the real game, then I would have to ask if you used the FOF wizard for the waterfalls. You should never use the FOF wizard in any circumstance. It severely broken and you should try to set up these things manually anyway. Look at this for how to make FOFs and a little lower down on how to make water.

I dunno why the sides won't display, because that would only happen if you were using linedef type 123 instead of 121, but you're doing that right, so...

However, I do know why the light levels keep messing up. That's because the sector gets as dark as the light level of the water instead of the sector's actual light level. You can do two things to fix it:
-Set both light levels to the same value.
-Check the 'Effect 4' flag on the water's control linedef. This will make the water use the light level of the tagged sector.

@Torgo, they shoy up in-game. And I never use the FOF wizard.

@Spherallic, playing the level in-game, the darkness won't show. But in DB's 3D mode it does.

It's really not a problem in-game. But in 3D mode it's kinda hard to tell where my waterfalls are when I'm editing my levels. Also, this never used to happen in the old 2.0 config. -_-

What. No, this problem happened when the 1.09.4 config was updated to 2.0 standards, and I fixed it myself. Are you sure you have this config?

The problem is that the FOF flags changed in 2.0, but the old 1.09.4 ones are still hardcoded into SRB2DB. So weird stuff happens like reading a water block's translucency flag and interpreting it as having no sides or something. I filled the config with dummy values to make it look right, because as far as I know, the values aren't actually used anywhere else.

The dark ceiling thing is a bug in how SRB2DB handles the no shadows flag. Instead of coloring both below and above the FOF with the light level of the target sector, it seems to reverse the roles instead, using the control sector light level for above the sector, or something.

EDIT: Actually, the water FOFs are drawn a bit overkill. The game knows not to render the walls of a water FOF when they're in contact with another wall, but SRB2DB doesn't. This causes some inconvenient problems when the block has main textures defined, but which would never actually be drawn (look at the water in Spring Hill for an example).

Last edited:
Speaking of configs...

About the bosses, the "Exit Upon Defeat" flag uses flag #4 but it won't work. The working flag for it is the #2. Tested with the cfg provided above.

Okay, I'll take the blame for this one. I never really dug into the source to document the effects of the map thing flags on the various mobj types. Stuff is still mostly just based on 1.09.4 and whatever information was on the specials list for 1.1 that SSNTails posted a while back.

I've gone through it now, and I've found stuff I didn't even know about, like being able to turn diagonal springs by 22.5 degrees, and making pushables "slidy and bouncy".

There's also some stuff I couldn't decipher, so if any of the developers could give a hint? What is the deaf/ambush flag supposed to do on the Robo-Hood and the Sea Egg? Testing proved no difference in behaviour whatsoever, but I may have missed some weird detail. Sea Egg has deaf checked in DSZ3, and there's Robo Hoods with and without deaf in CEZ1 at least, so I have to wonder what's going on in here.

I've also learned that the Multi flag appears to have been silently killed off and should never be used, because its bit has been eaten by the Z offset. SRB2DB doesn't let me get rid the checkbox via the config, though, so I've just inserted a helpful label.

One of the biggest problems of editing these configs is that SRB2DB was made for 1.09.4. The configs only have fields to insert custom deaf [3] and multi [4] labels, because flags 0-2 are supposed to be the difficulty flags. This isn't so anymore, and lots of things use the Object Special for some special effect (Strong Random Respawn on monitors, for instance), but I can't label them as such. Hopefully there will come a time when Oogaland will do some work in updating the program to our current standards.

I'll submit the changes to Rob and get back to you once they're up.

Fixed. Redownload.

Last edited:
How do you make it display things in 3D mode? I heard people talking about it but never figured it out.

So uh, did redownloading the config work or what? I'm kinda in the dark if you don't get back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back