DashFox's Source Code Question Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalaron

Here we go, another question topic about editing, let's begin....

(*Starred questions are extra important.)
*removed all answered questions*

32.) Quick, what's the map num for Red Volcanoe zone?

If you answer a question about a feature from SRB2, please tell me if you are referring to the version on the SVN or the source bundled with the regular SRB2 from srb2.org.

Re: DashFox2007's Question Topic

I'll answer what I know.

DashFox2007 said:
1) Is there any way to scroll throught the console when there is alot of text in it?

Not that I know of. If you want to read all the commands you made in a session, when you quit SRB2, the console is dumped to a file called log.txt where you can read all commands executed.

DashFox2007 said:
2) Is there a command that lists all console commands?

Typing 'help' in the console does this.

DashFox2007 said:
4) Is there a command that creates a log of all the text in the console?

SRB2 does this automatically whenever you quit the game, as I said above.

DashFox2007 said:
5) Is there a command that unloads all wads in the game?

No. You have to restart the game.

DashFox2007 said:
6) Is there a command that lists all the levels loaded in the game?

Typing 'listwad' in the console will display all loaded files. As for listing all specific levels I do not know of such a command.

DashFox2007 said:
10) Is it possible to add external wads like sonic.plr or srb2.srb into the exe itself?

No idea, I'm assuming not though. I am unsure why you would want to anyway.

DashFox2007 said:
15) Can I use Dev C++ to edit SRB2 Doom Builder's source code?

I'm assuming you can, if you can find the source code. Not sure why you'd want to, especially since the SRB2DoomBuilder code will have to be changed for 1.1 anyway.

DashFox2007 said:
1) Is there any way to scroll throught the console when there is alot of text in it?

"Page Up" and "Page Down" keys.

DashFox2007 said:
2) Is there a command that lists all console commands?

Type "Help" in the console, there are more commands than the console probably shows if you are using a small resolution, so that's where #1 comes in use.

DashFox2007 said:
4) Is there a command that creates a log of all the text in the console?

SRB2 automatically does this, no command known.

DashFox2007 said:
5) Is there a command that unloads all wads in the game?

Unloads all wads, no. Unloads 1 wad at a time starting with the last one added, yes. The only thing is it isnt in SRB2 1.09.4, it is only in Alam's SRB2 betas. "Delfile"

DashFox2007 said:

None that I know of.

DashFox2007 said:
Not to my knowledge. Just open your log when you're done playing. Rename it if you don't want it overwritten by your next log.

DashFox2007 said:
*3) Where in the source code is the value for the amout of rings you lose when you get hit?
Can't help you with that on proggraming, however you should be able to drain rings after being hit and then give the player a type of shield, through SOCs of course.

DashFox2007 said:
Not to my knowledge, however showmap will tell you what map you are in, and the contents off the wad will be displayed in the console after it is loaded.

DashFox2007 said:
*7) How can I make my own 3Drend.dll?
10) Is it possible to add external wads like sonic.plr or srb2.srb into the exe itself?
12) Where in the source code does it tell SRB2 that it's christmas time and should add 3Drend.dll?
All you need is some type of resource wad. 3drend isn't anything exceptionally.

DashFox2007 said:
*16) Is the source for SRB2 universal? Can I compile the same source code from srb2.org on a Mac?
While Macs look like windows, they are completely different. Don't forget that.

on Edge said:
DashFox2007 said:
*16) Is the source for SRB2 universal? Can I compile the same source code from srb2.org on a Mac?
While Macs look like windows, they are completely different. Don't forget that.

Hmm....I see that there are Xcode projects included with the source code, are you sure that I can't compile the same source on a Mac?

Jazz said:
DashFox2007 said:

I'm assuming you can, if you can find the source code. Not sure why you'd want to, especially since the SRB2DoomBuilder code will have to be changed for 1.1 anyway.

I thought SRB2 Doom Builder was made with the .NET framework, which could only be compiled through Microsoft Visual Studio, and why would I want to edit SRB2DB? Well, it's for a secret project that I'm working on...

there SRB2 for DOS
Code:
make
Win32 (DirectX with FMOD)
Code:
make MINGW=1
or Win32 (SDL with SDL_mixer)
Code:
make MINGW=1 SDL=1
Dreamcast
Code:
make DC=1
GP2X
Code:
make GP2X=1
PSP
Code:
make PSP=1
x86/Linux (for non x86, add NONX86=1)
Code:
make LINUX=1
Solaris?
Code:
gmake SOLARIS=1
and FreeBSD
Code:
gmake FREEBSD=1
MacOSX (yes, the XCode project)

there 3 interface code, one for DOS, one for DirectX and SDL for any and all other systems

DashFox2007 said:
Here we go, another question topic about editing, let's begin....

(*Starred questions are extra important.)

1) Is there any way to scroll throught the console when there is alot of text in it? Page up and Page down

2) Is there a command that lists all console commands? HELP

*3) Where in the source code is the value for the amout of rings you lose when you get hit? Wherever it uses "P_PlayerRingBurst" (I think that was the name) The last argument is how many rings to spill, but you can't have it spill more then 35, unless you edit P_PlayerRingBurst itself, which is found in P_Inter.c

4) Is there a command that creates a log of all the text in the console? Done automatically

5) Is there a command that unloads all wads in the game? No, restart.

6) Is there a command that lists all the levels loaded in the game? LISTWAD shows you all WADs loaded, SHOWMAP shows the current Map's name and integer.

*7) How can I make my own 3Drend.dll? Make a WAD that replaces the sprites, flats, an/or textures for Xmas mode, then have it get added instead of the normal 3Drend.dll. I'll explain how to do that in question 12.

8) How can I check the MD5's of files? I don't know. Try Googling it.

9) Where in the source code does it tell SRB2 to use wad files like sonic.plr?

10) Is it possible to add external wads like sonic.plr or srb2.srb into the exe itself? Look for this line in D_Main.c:
Code:
static void IdentifyVersion(void)
Then scroll to the bottom; it will have D_Addfile in there a bunch of times, telling it to add certain WADs. However, if you change the WADs instead of adding a new one, you'll have to update the MD5 checks, which are a little below the auto-addfile place.

*11) Where is the source code for the SRB2Net launcher you can download from srb2.org? In the source code, there's a folder called "tools"; it has the source for a bunch of stuff.

12) Where in the source code does it tell SRB2 that it's christmas time and should add 3Drend.dll? In D_Main.c, there's a void called D_TimeWad. It activates stuff like Christmas Time, Easter Egg hunt, etc. Then, it adds 3Drend.dll in the place I described in Q. 10.

*13) How can I make sure that when I switch my exe to OpenGL, it doesn't automatically go into windowed/OpenGL mode and instead goes into OpenGL/fullscreen mode? I don't understand what you mean.

14) How can I make my own WinRAR self-extracting exe like the one you download from srb2.org? A lot of tools can do this. Google them.

15) Can I use Dev C++ to edit SRB2 Doom Builder's source code? Why shouldn't you be able to?

*16) Is the source for SRB2 universal? Can I compile the same source code from srb2.org on a Mac? I don't know.

*17) And are there any features missing from the Mac version of SRB2? Netplay, IIRC

And if you answer a question about a feature from SRB2, please tell me if you are referring to the version on the SVN or the version you can download from srb2.org.
Purple comments are my answers...

I've not included any of the "where in the source code" questions, because most of these can be answered using Dev-C++'s "Find in Files" feature: for example, to find where sonic.plr is added, search for sonic.plr in all the files.

DashFox2007 said:
*7) How can I make my own 3Drend.dll?
3drend.dll is just a wad like any other.

DashFox2007 said:
8) How can I check the MD5's of files?
Try this.

DashFox2007 said:
With some effort, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you're doing.

DashFox2007 said:
*13) How can I make sure that when I switch my exe to OpenGL, it doesn't automatically go into windowed/OpenGL mode and instead goes into OpenGL/fullscreen mode?
Whether it starts full-screen or windowed is determined by the value of the FULLSCREEN variable, which is set in config.cfg.

DashFox2007 said:
No. SRB2DB is written in Visual Basic 6.

DashFox2007 said:
It requires some work to be ported to other platforms, but the Mac has been done already.

DashFox2007 said:
*17) And are there any features missing from the Mac version of SRB2?
The software renderer certainly won't work on PPC Macs; don't know about Intel Macs.

Kayaskado, you're the only one who didn't take the time to separate his quote out. Colored text is just ugly and doesn't get the job done.

on Edge said:
Kaysakado, you're the only one who didn't take the time to separate his quote out. Colored text is just ugly and doesn't get the job done.
Yeah, but I answered the most of his questions out of anyone else. I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. Plus, you spelled my name wrong.

How does hidden text not work? Anyway, the complaining was a joke. It has to do with this gag in real life from before I joined the forums.

Kaysakado said:
In the source code, there's a folder called "tools"; it has the source for a bunch of stuff.

In the one included with SRB2, it's an outdated launcher.

Oogaland said:

That's strange, it doesn't seem to work with XWE....

AlamGBC said:
there SRB2 for DOS
Code:
make
Win32 (DirectX with FMOD)
Code:
make MINGW=1
or Win32 (SDL with SDL_mixer)
Code:
make MINGW=1 SDL=1
Dreamcast
Code:
make DC=1
GP2X
Code:
make GP2X=1
PSP
Code:
make PSP=1
x86/Linux (for non x86, add NONX86=1)
Code:
make LINUX=1
Solaris?
Code:
gmake SOLARIS=1
and FreeBSD
Code:
gmake FREEBSD=1
MacOSX (yes, the XCode project)

there 3 interface code, one for DOS, one for DirectX and SDL for any and all other systems

Umm...sorry, but do I type that in DEV C++ or the makefile or something?

And thanks to everyone for helping me. ( :

DashFox2007 said:
Umm...sorry, but do I type that in DEV C++ or the makefile or something?

And thanks to everyone for helping me. ( :

src/win32/srb2win.dev or src/sdl/srb2sdl.dev

DashFox2007 said:
Oogaland said:

That's strange, it doesn't seem to work with XWE....
That's because it purposely doesn't have PWAD or IWAD ID, however it's still coded like a WAD, so SRB2 can load it.

EDIT: For proof that you can open 3drend.dll, I cracked open Hexplorer and changed its ID from SDLL to PWAD, so it can open in WAD Editors:
http://kpenguin2000.googlepages.com/openable3drend.wad

Thanks so much, Kaysakado.

And sorry for asking this AlamGBC, but umm... where exactly in the DEV project do I enter the codes that you told me about?

I have two more questions:

18) If I were to make an exe mod, how would I upload the source code to the SVN?

19) Where in the source code does it tell SRB2 to play a random sound effect before exiting the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back