SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 08-09-2020   #1
LoganA
Administrator

Default New Message Board Rules

Posted by SeventhSentinel on 08-09-2020 03:33 AM.

Quote:
We have overhauled our message board rules. Please read them over!
View on SRB2.org
LoganA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #2
gregory_house
Also known as TemporaryAl

Screenshots of non-reusable content aren't allowed?
My friends are my strength. - Discord: TemporaryAl#4689
gregory_house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #3
physicsCamera
discord rich presence when
Permanently Banned

(physicsCamera received a warning for this post: Do not spam. Put actual content in your posts.)
physicsCamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #4
Icarus
Warrior from Algol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory_house View Post
Screenshots of non-reusable content aren't allowed?
Exactly, posting a screenshot of someone else's work without their consent would be kinda rude.
Old 08-09-2020   #5
gregory_house

I hope you're kidding. You get to play as (idk a character) but not take screenshots?
Old 08-09-2020   #6
PencilVoid
Circuit Enthusiast

I suppose it means a screenshot of a modification of non-reusable content?
Discord: PencilVoid#4223; Twitter: @pencilvoid / @pencilvoid_art; Pillowfort: PencilVoid
PSO2 ID: 14909977; Username: PencilVoid

May I interest you in the Church of Audie?
PencilVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #7
gregory_house

I mean...still? I get that you cant post edits of the file here cause it's not your content in the first place but a screenshot?
Old 08-09-2020   #8
Kaysakado

I may be wrong, but I think the idea is posting screenshots of unofficial ports. You may not be distributing the port of, say, SUGOI, but posting a screenshot is basically advertising "hey, pm me and i can send you this" - perhaps a mod/admin should clarify though.
Kaysakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #9
Super Chris
Formerly SRB2PlayerFan

This new set of rules gets to the point and aren’t vague like the previous set. I highly agree with them.
Old 08-10-2020   #10
SeventhSentinel
STJr Team Representative
Administrator

I have added further clarification to the rules -- Yes, you can post screenshots of content that doesn't belong to you, but you can't post screenshots of modifications of content that doesn't belong to you.

The intent here is to start treating modders like artists. You wouldn't like it if someone edited your artwork without your permission, would you?

That said, if you get permission to modify someone else's content, you can post all the screenshots of it you want.
My stuff: SeventhSentinel#4892 on Discord / Twitter / Primary YouTube / Secondary YouTube / SoundCloud / Twitch
Follow STJr on social media: YouTube / Twitter / Facebook
Follow Kart Krew on social media: YouTube / Twitter / Facebook
Chat on Discord: SRB2 / Kart Krew
SeventhSentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #11
MRoach
íReremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory_house View Post
I mean...still? I get that you cant post edits of the file here cause it's not your content in the first place but a screenshot?
So this whole thread is completely ilegal?
Old 08-10-2020   #12
Shadon
Professional ass-merchant

I've never been a fan of rules banning a nebulously-defined "politics", because it usually results in any real-world issues on which the community has not reached a consensus being labelled as "political, therefore wrong to discuss", and then certain persons being declared 'political' by nature, and thus "pushing an agenda that is ruining the community!!1!1!".
Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltstorm
Go yiff yourself
Shadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #13
physicsCamera
discord rich presence when
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicscamera View Post
buuuuuuuumpppp

(physicsCamera received a warning for this post: Do not spam. Put actual content in your posts.)
physicsCamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #14
~Confusion~

Adding a strict age border to a forum like this is kind of silly. Do you really expect everyone to honestly tell their age especially after seeing a rule like that?
<hms> nice try aries
<~Despicable Me> Lol 2 hms
Despicable Me renamed to hms
Back then we all had windows xp... Lucky we were =S
~Confusion~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #15
Icarus
Warrior from Algol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadon View Post
I've never been a fan of rules banning a nebulously-defined "politics", because it usually results in any real-world issues on which the community has not reached a consensus being labelled as "political, therefore wrong to discuss", and then certain persons being declared 'political' by nature, and thus "pushing an agenda that is ruining the community!!1!1!".
The thing is that this is a forum of a fan-game, more serious talks shouldn't be really made here (there are other forums and Social Networks) especially since many people here are pretty young.

Furthermore I think this rule is also made to prevent some "reactionary" individual from spewing their distasteful opinions about things (like the human right of marginalized and minority groups that deserve to live in a better way).
Old 08-10-2020   #16
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

Like, I'm not really against politics being discussed in this community (god knows I've engaged in it myself), but past problematic users have also demonstrated how it can make things weird really quickly. Right now I feel like we have venues on discord that are more suited to that sort of discussion, which goes the same for discussion about life issues and the sort. If we really wanted that sort of stuff on the forums then at the very least we'd need to dedicate a space to it.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #17
rocklight124
You should train some more

We probably shouldn't people get really touchy with stuff like this, but you know it might help but it might not.
Old 08-10-2020   #18
gregory_house

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhSentinel View Post
The intent here is to start treating modders like artists. You wouldn't like it if someone edited your artwork without your permission, would you?

I mean, it would be a problem, I agree, if they started posting that edit and claiming it as their own, the right to distribute it should be mine and of the people I give permission too.

If someone draws stuff onto my artwork without then distributing it as theirs, big deal?

And besides, a screenshot of say, an edit of a map? How'd that in any way hurt anyone? Really?
Old 08-10-2020   #19
Ace Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadon View Post
Is is actually quite common for forums (which do not cover political subjects) to ban political discussion. The reason is that there are tons of people (on all sides) who are very passionate about their views and will respond with a very negative tone if you disagree with them.

This is also why a lot of forums ban religious discussion as well, noting that in many real world cases you have politics and religion intersecting each other. The reality is that the internet tends to do a very good job at bringing out the worst in people, so the majority of sites (unfortunately) need to have that kind of rule in place.
Ace Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #20
Icarus
Warrior from Algol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
Is is actually quite common for forums (which do not cover political subjects) to ban political discussion. The reason is that there are tons of people (on all sides) who are very passionate about their views and will respond with a very negative tone if you disagree with them.

This is also why a lot of forums ban religious discussion as well, noting that in many real world cases you have politics and religion intersecting each other. The reality is that the internet tends to do a very good job at bringing out the worst in people, so the majority of sites (unfortunately) need to have that kind of rule in place.
Yeah, anyway the rules are simple, any form of discrimination is forbidden here.