BYOND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Manic_

Who plays this engine? It's free, lets you create games, play multiplayer, and stuff. I'm learning how to code games there, too. My keyname is Manic Of SRB2. I had to choose that, so my friend could see me, or notice me at the time.

I do.My name's AxlVirus.I play,Siganara Legends(Miku Hiru),Table Top(Miku The Echidna(Sonic Legends)),Icon Ultima(Pichu or AxlVirus),ScaryGame.

Ok, here's a totally unbiased explanation of what Byond is from Draykon Vokelda ^.^

Byond is an engine created so that people with no knowledge of networking can create exclusively online games, using a limited scripting engine that, in my own opinion, sucks. I recall a quote when playing one game on Byond; "Animations would kill the system" This was, needless to say, the last game I ever played before deleting the Byond client from my harddrive.

Byond made games require the game's creator to "host" the game, in order to be able to play it, which of course, may be enough on it's own to ruin the entire system.

Well, that redefines unbiased...

Basically, BYOND is a 2d system that uses 32x32 sprites to make it's games. 3d is possible by reprogramming the directional procedures, as is making large icons, although that is much simpler. The games currently existing are varied, although the majority are

A) Naruto fangames
B) DBZ Fangames
C) RP/Chat 'Icon' Games

The system is limited greatly by the icon system, which means that objects are forced to move from cell to cell, in a manner similar to Gameboy Pokemon games

Well, thank you for explaining the technical knowhow. It's still a limited system however, hence why I prefer good old fashioned programming.

Warpshade said:
The system is limited greatly by the icon system, which means that objects are forced to move from cell to cell, in a manner similar to Gameboy Pokemon games

Good for an rpg, but horrible for anything else.

BYOND is great potential wasted on pitful DBZ and Naruto games with a bunch of lame-ass "icon chat" games.

Most of the unique and good games are generally unplayed, and even then, any of the decent coders make these lame cloned RPGs or chat games.

BYOND, to a certain extent, can do 3D as an example. Of course, there's no point in using that capability, but it still shows that no one is truly taking advantage of the engine. Most of the natrual "engine ldimensions" can somewhat be skipped over with some smart coding, such as the tile-based movement. I have never seen any coding breaking BYOND due to pushing the limitations or anything - then again, some of my favourite games are text MUD-like games or your unusually concepted game (Lexiconomy, that one search engine game), both of which really don't use much more than text. But it's still the easiest possible way to build a internet based game, so yeah.

I quit BYOND some long time ago since I felt that the (at the time) new beta was basicially the last straw in them taking BYOND in too much of a commercial direction. I remember the old BYOND, and it was so much better back then than now.

Chao Chatterz sucks. It's just another lame icon chatting game with Chao as the default icons, which is pointless since you'll probably just change your icon to some crappy Mega Man or Final Fantasy recolor anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back