SRB2 C-Fail = Resynching ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before we start i just want to ask, what is Consistency Protection ?, and what's the diffrent between it and Resynching, i mean this is Rediculous, because each time i want to join a server this is what happens (Even if my Net speed is good)
Sonic Robo Blast 2 v2.1.6
I Start by Spectating another player (Inadvertently and Without Pressing "F12") and then this Yellow Message Appears "Resynching" untill i get kicked from the Server "Synch Failure" , HEY WAIT !! there's nothing diffrent Between Resynching and Consistency Protection, but this is worst then C-Fails !!, Just tell me will you fix it on the Next Release ..!!!

Consistency is basically the same thing I believe...
Consistency failure is when the host has a disagreement with what the client is actually doing. Say if you're lagging like hell, and you step forward or something, hit a laser, that stuff, sometimes the host doesn't even register the fact you ACTUALLY got hit, and thus creates a consistency failure, and the game usually tries to fix it (If consfailprotect is on)

Synch failure is a LITTLE different. I'm quite sure it's when the game literally goes out of synch. Before the synch failure thing was even introduced I recall picking up all seven emeralds, and someone else suddenly going super. Then I went super at the same time. But then I got hit. Yeah. Hitting springs was like hitting a low powered thing then suddenly warping on top, and the connection was all over the place. The host basically determines the main view. A synch failure isn't so easily fixed; if you destroy a crawla by spindashing into it, the host may disagree. At times the message pops up, but oftenly, the crawla is still ACTUALLY there. It can actually hurt you, but you can't see it. Quite irritating, but it happens.

An amazing example of synch failure was when I activated HMS123311 when there was a weird bug.
On MY end, I went super. On their end, I didn't. And since I started to armageddon multithok everywhere, everything died, but it didn't. But it did. But it didn't. Eventually the game just went "LOLNOPE" and kicked me. ...And everyone else, because the game was THAT out of synch.

As annoying as synch failure is, it makes things MUCH more stable. Trust me.

Consfailure = Host disagreeing with the client.
Synchfailure = Host and client registering different things, or something.

I hardly know this, not a dev or anything, but those are my little explinations. ...Don't go with what I've said. Just pray it's true. Like I am. XD

---

In addition, the game also FREEZES slightly during a re-synch attempt. I think that's trying to get the host and client's games to actually match.

How is an S-fail better? It lags up the game and slows it to about 2 fps, then just kicks random people off. At least CFails could be controlled and didn't happen so often.

I swear, it seems like the only way to please you people is to just let people freely desynch. No lag! No jumpiness! Everyone wins, even if it means the game is downright unplayable!

Do you want to know why the 2.0.x consistency restoration code was removed? It's simple; it failed at doing the one thing it set out to do. It made consistency worse unless you explicitly paused the game or changed map.

The entire reason the game pauses for synch failure is because it's waiting for a confirmation that all the data was received before it advances. The consistency restoration code from 2.0.x did not do this, so unless you were on a LAN connection receiving packets instantaneously, you would get the packet to restore you to a previous state and push you even further out of sync.

Having actually tested the synch failure code, it worked wonders in Match and CTF, where one restoration fixed everything.

But you know what the problem is? It does not work properly in Co-op, and it can't without sending the data for every object in the game (which I'd imagine you don't want, unless you like synch failures to take multiple seconds to recover from). It shares this flaw with the old 2.0.x code. You have to change map if you start desynching in Co-op to recover from it, there's no getting around it.

By the way, if you want the netcode from 2.0 back, go back to 2.1.0. The netcode was almost entirely unchanged there from how it was in 2.0.7. Do you really think that's a good idea?

Rex, it's as if you're deliberately ignoring the reasons why there's an issue in the first place; you pay attention only to the fact that the issue remains. Honestly, you're acting as if you're entitled to a freeware game made by a notoriously busy team that actually loses money by developing it. That's not to say people aren't free to criticize its shortcomings, but STJr isn't a society of magical programming wizards who can fix a complicated bug at the snap of their fingers.

No, a good idea is you guys fixing the resynch problem. Co-op is unplayable!
Oh okay, I see you like to complain a lot. Would you like to come learn C and rewrite a clientside version of SRB2's netcode? No? I didn't think so.

People will still play even if it doesn't work too well, i think this is supported kinda well by the fact there is almost always at least one coop server up.

i could kinda care less about coop working well as I've always looked down upon it; however I do often have synch problems in the other modes as well.

Did.. did you even READ the reply? Yeesh. Fixing the synchronisation problems isn't as easy as you think - these issues date back since who-knows-when.. it's just people are making a bigger deal of them now because they have a more annoying effect when caused. (Although server owners can turn that off anyway.)

Also, Inu.. why would it be the case that objects are synchronised in Match / CTF, yet not Co-op? What would the differences be? Hmm..

I know I've had a few issues where friends of mine were being attacked by enemies that were defeated their side, yet the server still thought those enemies were there (and thus, caused the players to lose rings) - A bit strange.

People don't seem to appreciate how hard the developers work to actually make the game somewhat stable.

When 2.1 initially released, Match was quite literally unplayable, as was CTF. Co-Op was a little buggy too. In fact EVERYTHING was. And there wasn't any real notification of Consistency Failure, so no-one paused at all, thus rendering the game ridiculously out of synch like I mentioned above.

Synchfail protection is better. As Inu said, it automatically pauses the game for a second, and everything goes better. Unless of course you're on Co-Op. Match/CTF however make it work a million times better.
It would be awesome if it was possible to make it so synchfail protection only happened on Match/CTF game modes and good old C-Fail only happened on Co-Op... ...I doubt that'd really fix anything for real, but in my eyes I see it doing something. XD;

Naw, the devs know what they're doing when it comes to the actual netcode. By all means, if you want to fix it yourself, go ahead.

I've Played so much games before, and no one of them have Consistency Protection,or Resynching,and of course no one of them Lags, can any developer Tell us if they are going to fix it (Or why don't they just remove it, we can use "MAXPING" To Protect Server from lags right ! ?

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

People don't seem to appreciate how hard the developers work to actually make the game somewhat stable.

When 2.1 initially released, Match was quite literally unplayable, as was CTF. Co-Op was a little buggy too. In fact EVERYTHING was. And there wasn't any real notification of Consistency Failure, so no-one paused at all, thus rendering the game ridiculously out of synch like I mentioned above.

It was hard to play SRB2 online in 2.0.7,but it's now Impossible !!
ِCan they just tell us if they're working on fixing it ?

I am ending this here and now.

Any more posts along these lines will be infracted on sight.
The point has been made. We are aware of the issue. Bitching about it incessantly is only making us want to start banning people. So I'm now making that an option. This ends now.

Last edited:
This is extremely annoying. I can rarely play online anymore because this happens EVERY FEW SECONDS. It isn't an extreme issue in Match or CTF as it is in Coop.

The online mode is an absolute pain to play. However, I'm not a developer, so I have no idea how these things work. I'm sure you'll find a way to fix it!

I wish there was some way to switch between "Consistency Mode," and "Synce mode," since I think the synce fail is WAY worse then a C-Fail... But I have NO IDEA how much codeing something like that would take... So yeah.

I wish there was some way to switch between "Consistency Mode," and "Synce mode,"

Would be cool. But the main issue is that consfail protection doesn't work the same way it did in 2.0. 2.1 desyncs really easily. For some reason I don't get, to be honest. Adding LUA and a few other neat things like level changes, and making a more changes to other things BUT the netcode. How does that screw the netcode over so badly? Would've been beautiful if there wasn't any kind of issue in the first place, but what actually WAS the issue? How did desyncing happen so much after 2.1 became a thing, if you're willing to say?

Anyhow, sync fail is once again, the better thing for stability. Though everyone getting kicked from the game does render hosting useless in a lot of cases. I mean one time, one person left and everyone got s-kicked. It was beautiful.

In Match/CTF I see WHY it's a good thing, what with collecting emeralds and all that crap separately. In co-op it's also somewhat good, though destroying badniks usually didn't actually... destroy them. And you'd get hit by an invisible badnik that was still apparently there and not absolutely obliterated. It still actually happens now, funnily enough.

Would be sweet if you could do something, buuuut I don't blame you if it's too much effort or just plain outright stupid to request. Quite sure you've already done enough to try and fix things.

Again, this is always random. There are times where I won't get an S-fail at all, while other times, I'll get one even before I can get into the server. Coop is the only issue, but it seems to be improving.

Like Rob said, developers are aware of this problem and they're probably fixing it, but the thing that probably annoy us is the time taken to fix this, and maybe there's too much stuff to fix or improve BEFORE going to the Multiplayer issues. The time will bring us good results, we just have to live with what we have now and wait for the big update to arrive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back