• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

General project screenshot/video thread

If I may ask, d00d, why do you insist on using SonicRE's sprites for everything? Person preference or something? It just seems like an odd choice.

I plan to switch out SonicRE/Greeneyes for someone else, but he's just my goto guy for stand-in characters, or if it ends up being Possibly-Dumbventure-Related somehow. He's not the most well drawn or anything, but I've kinda grown attached after all these years.

Alright guys, sit down, it's time for a story.

This is what my Boolet mod was going to be at the start; an isometric shooter. It switched to a first person affair after I realized that yes, I could totally put sprites directly onto the HUD and it would work! I could make it feel more like a projectile-based DooM! However, the updates and all the progress I made had to stop. I added to much code, the game couldn't handle it, C overflow ensues, and the game freezes on load. And with it, the project came to a screeching halt.

I then moved onto other projects, like the Mario thing and some other project I may continue later, but I just couldn't let go of Boolet, the project I invested the most effort into. However, after messing with stuff, I realised that yes, I could still totally do that isometric shooter thing after all! And now here we are.

I may end up simplifying things more like how damage behavior was simplified to the normal SRB2 knockback and 5 health. I'll also DEFINETLY have to mess with the Totally-Not-Top-Down's-Own Camera, possibly making it follow the cursor instead of the player, and then maybe making the cursor extend out more. I also plan to make projectiles bigger and more noticeable. The player's speed is also gonna need a crank down to make it controllable. Still, I'm getting somewhere again!

srb20038.gif

Top-Down Camera, shooting, 5 hit points.... hmmmmmmm, I thought someone was getting on our case for the camera....

Either way, that does look pretty cool, and very well done for being done in lua and not a new exe.

Wait, this can happen!? I need to know: How much Lua is too much Lua for the game to handle?

Lua is not invincible tough, if you add to much it can makes the game unplayable, by talking of Lua, I made my first Lua script, it is just useless but at least it works:

905501srb20015.gif

It just makes the RINGS HUD disapear while you hold the jump button, as I said, useless but it works... And if anyone wants the shit I made, just copy paste that big useless code block. (I also pasted it here because I want to know if I could improve this script to make it clearer or shorter to know if I had a good start with Lua)

Code:
addHook("ThinkFrame", do
 for player in players.iterate
  if (player.cmd.buttons & BT_JUMP)
   hud.disable ("rings")
  end
 end
end)

addHook("ThinkFrame", do
  if not (player.cmd.buttons & BT_JUMP)
   hud.enable ("rings")
  end
 end
end)

Actually, there's a better way to write that...

Code:
addHook("ThinkFrame", do
   hud.disable ("rings")
  else
   hud.enable ("rings")
  end
 end
end)

Oh, and as for the shoots:

srb20157.gif

The cursor is going to have to be farther out than this, and it's gonna need a toggle for the folks that get motion sick, but this'll make it MUCH easier to aim at a distance, ESPECIALLY the horizontal distances, which I can see being a major problem otherwise.

Last edited:
Actually, there's a better way to write that...

Code:
addHook("ThinkFrame", do
   hud.disable ("rings")
  else
   hud.enable ("rings")
  end
 end
end)

Guess I'll have to learn Lua a lot more then...

srb20008.gif

So I f'ed up again while trying to make a water FOF over the death pits (this does, however, give me some ideas for later maps, as it was actually a new experience playing the map with the, uh, unintended boundaries. That and maybe the NiGHTS ring loops could be used to show paths, as in OpenGL, only the rings above ground are seen, showing just an ark of rings to pass through).

But in all seriousness though, can someone explain to me how to build a water FOF around the platforms (this includes between the stair cases)?

Also, anyone know how to take "Zone" off of the name, or is this something SRB2 does that cannot be manipulated?

But in all seriousness though, can someone explain to me how to build a water FOF around the platforms (this includes between the stair cases)?
I'm assuming you've read the Doom Builder Tutorials on the wiki. It looks like you've accidentally made walls where you want your water FOF to be, so lower them to the height you need for the death pit. Then tag your death pits as the next unnused tag.

Following that, make a small sector outside of the level boundaries and select one of the linedefs, under properties give it Linedef Action: 122 (Water Opaque, No Sides) and then give that linedef the same sector tag you gave the death pits earlier.

That sector is now controlling the water, and the water will appear in the sectors tagged, floor and ceiling height determine the bottom and top of the water respectively, textures can be applied to the sector to make it look like water.

This explanation is a bit clumsy, but I hope I help!

Also, anyone know how to take "Zone" off of the name, or is this something SRB2 does that cannot be manipulated?
Add 'NoZone = true' to the level header to remove the Zone.

I'm assuming you've read the Doom Builder Tutorials on the wiki. It looks like you've accidentally made walls where you want your water FOF to be, so lower them to the height you need for the death pit. Then tag your death pits as the next unnused tag.

Following that, make a small sector outside of the level boundaries and select one of the linedefs, under properties give it Linedef Action: 122 (Water Opaque, No Sides) and then give that linedef the same sector tag you gave the death pits earlier.

That sector is now controlling the water, and the water will appear in the sectors tagged, floor and ceiling height determine the bottom and top of the water respectively, textures can be applied to the sector to make it look like water.

This explanation is a bit clumsy, but I hope I help!

Add 'NoZone = true' to the level header to remove the Zone.

srb20002.png

Haha! Success! I cannot thank you enough, Whackjood! And finally ditching the Zone tag on the end just helps to make my map that much more accurate to the Up and Down stage in Bomberman 64 (although, if I truly want it to be accurate, that middle platform will need some reshaping).

Now, All I have left is to make some FOF's for the third and final layer, add some sensible object placement... this is going to be just swell trying figure out and put together.

srb20159.gif

Using bigger and slower projectiles to make them easier to notice. Enemies have the same kind of projectiles, but they flash red. I may go back to jetty bullets for the pistol, but color them bright gold. Maybe outright replace the Nailgun's projetiles.

[image]

Using bigger and slower projectiles to make them easier to notice. Enemies have the same kind of projectiles, but they flash red. I may go back to jetty bullets for the pistol, but color them bright gold. Maybe outright replace the Nailgun's projetiles.

Are you going to be making actual levels for this?

Moderator Notice:
nope

This is preety cool. Suggestion: Make Boolet HOLD the gun he is using. Maybe that LUA magic I don't understand can help you a lot :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Something about the camera focusing right on the crosshair bugs me. Maybe try averaging out the player position and the crosshair position and focusing the camera on that instead? (The player's position from the center is fine as it is, so maybe double the crosshair's distance from the player to make it match up.)

Oh god, those robots are... weird!
What is the name that you will give to this zone?
Haunted Factory?

This is actually a continuation of a old level I started back when the Amateur Stage Design Trials was started, Phantom Gadget.

This is preety cool. Suggestion: Make Boolet HOLD the gun he is using. Maybe that LUA magic I don't understand can help you a lot :3

It's definitely possible, you could make custom states for each gun, and then change them depending on which one he is holding, but that would be way too much work. I guess you could also pull it off with A_CapeChase

Actually, if you remember the weird Greeneyes flinstone car thing and the sonic and knuckles riding their clones, that was preparation for an idea involving the player being a pair of disembodied legs and the top half from the torso up being gun holding frames, so the legs could move independently from the top half, and the top half can also have shooting and reload animations. Sadly, I'm an awful artist, so that may not happen without some outside help. I'll see about getting assistance.

RareCourageousCoyote.gif

I don't know why I did this.
(Don't quote the gif please :V)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back