SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Help

Old 03-05-2011   #1
Slash0meg
Default Can I add shadows (not the character) into the game?

Like the title says... I would like to know if there is any way to add shadows into the game. I am not talking about the character Shadow the Headghog, I mean a black spot on the ground for depth perception in a computer generated environment.

Yes, i used search, but all I found is Shadow the Headghog.

(PS. This forum has strict writing rules. I'm pretty sure that "hi, could you help me, i am having problems." is readable even with "lowercase letters. But I guess that is all you can do if the forum is flooded with "OMGGG ITS BROKE. help m3 pls pls pls pls" which is what i assume is what happened.)

Edit:
Oh ya, forgot to mention. I want to avoid opengl. It is more trouble than it is worth, especially because the shadow and the main sprite is swapped.

Last edited by Slash0meg; 03-05-2011 at 05:24 AM. Reason: more info
Slash0meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #2
Ezer.Arch
ArchPack developer

Welcome :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash0meg View Post
Oh ya, forgot to mention. I want to avoid opengl. It is more trouble than it is worth, especially because the shadow and the main sprite is swapped.
XSRB2 has, say, a mostly fixed OpenGL and the "shadow casting" isn't broken.

On the other hand, fogs and catwalks are still broken (you'll realize it when you got Egg Rock Zone :/). Fogs turn the sprites and floor in plain black. To turn the fogs off, type "GR_FOG OFF" on console. Catwalks are floors with transparent pixels; they aren't rendered in OpenGL and there's no workaround at this moment.

But if you want to avoid OpenGL at all: the software render can't add shadows per se, unless someone creates a graphic add-on (chacter wad or graphic wad) that adds a "black spot" that follows the sprites.

Last edited by Ezer.Arch; 03-05-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Ezer.Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #3
Slash0meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezer.Arch View Post
Welcome :D

XSRB2 has, say, a mostly fixed OpenGL and the "shadow casting" isn't broken.

On the other hand, fogs and catwalks are still broken (you'll realize it when you got Egg Rock Zone :/). Fogs turn the sprites and floor in plain black. To turn the fogs off, type "GR_FOG OFF" on console. Catwalks are floors with transparent pixels; they aren't rendered in OpenGL and there's no workaround at this moment.

But if you want to avoid OpenGL at all: the software render can't add shadows per se, unless someone creates a graphic add-on (chacter wad or graphic wad) that adds a "black spot" that follows the sprites.

Thanks, I can live without fog, but i do have a question. Are the catwalks reconizable as path? If not, is there a texture hack to replace textures with transparent pixels?

I also thought of the black round cartoon shadow as a sprite idea. if there was nothing I could do with this post, I was going to put that idea in a suggestion forum to see if someone with the knowledge would want to try that.
Slash0meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #4
Prime 2.0
Grape flavored
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash0meg View Post
Thanks, I can live without fog, but i do have a question. Are the catwalks reconizable as path? If not, is there a texture hack to replace textures with transparent pixels?
Well, fog is primarily used for lasers in SRB2. There are some parts of the game that are extremely unfair when you can't see them; eggrock being an example. Catwalks are also invisible in openGL. Furthermore, many middletextures(vertically repeating ones in particular) will appear incorrectly in openGL, appearing at the wrong height. Finally, colormaps don't function correctly in openGL.

When it comes right down to it, SRB2's singleplayer campaign really requires you to use the software renderer. Most of the multiplayer stages don't do anything that requires it though.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #5
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?

There's some of stuff in the code for drawing "Floor Splats"... I was trying to turn this into a shadow as well as destination targets for lobbing cannonballs.
SSNTails is offline   Reply With Quote