Will SRB2 ever NOT need portforwarding to host a server?

Wayzy

i really want to host a server but learning how to portforward was really hard and then i found out that i cant even portforward because of some dumb reason so I just really wanna know if that will ever happen because i really wanted to host a server but it looks like it wont work unless i dive into modding and programming.

I don't get what "portforwarding" means.

You cannot make a public server like you want to?

Basically, ports are usually closed, and they have to be opened for people to access from
Depending on your router, it can be easy to obnoxious to set up, and that's not taking into consideration that you can even log into your default gateway, as you need the password from basically whoever owns the router.
This is probably never going to get changed for SRB2

Last edited:
Simply speaking portforwarding means opening up a port on your routers firewall to allow communication into the public internet. Also the short answer is no.

You could port tunnel through for example SSH but that wouldn't make things easier.

The MS and Srb2 expect a game to be connected through via UDP 5029.

But please don't mess with firewall settings if you don't know what you are doing. You could seriously endanger those on your local network!

This is pretty much DIY and I don't expect that you could rent preconfigured Srb2 dedicated servers either.

Last edited:
You can use UPnP which dynamically open ports but in the case of SRB2 it's experimental and is likely to not work. Port forward can have two mean : a firewall of the router or just the fact the router need to know WHERE is the server(as on many connection everyone using it have the same address). Don't mess up with your routers config as it can make your connection vulnerable.
Also some routers can be hard to configure and most of them require login.

You can use UPnP which dynamically open ports but in the case of SRB2 it's experimental and is likely to not work.
Interesting, I didn't know Srb2 has UPnP support now. At least you can blame it on the router manufacturer if something goes awry that way...
But we still don't know much. Maybe there is another router between him and the WWW we don't know about.

Port forward can have two mean : a firewall of the router or just the fact the router need to know WHERE is the server(as on many connection everyone using it have the same address).
I guess you are trying to describe NAT here to everyones confusion.

The router doesn't need to know the location of the server it simply forwards packets to the next destination on a defined ruleset.

Wayzy, if you could elaborate on your router model and ISP maybe, just maybe we could work something out. Don't get your hopes up too high, though...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back