Shadow, Riders, and I wish there was an RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonic is all about super speed. most RPG's aren't about super high speed.

I seriously doubt there will be an official Sonic RPG. It would be cool though.

There is a Sonic "RPG". It's called Sonic Adventure. Go play it.

Oh sure, WE may not consider it such, but that was Iizuka's goal.

Well, the SA games were more of an RPG than any other Sonic Games. But few if any RPGs are realtime, and Sonic games have to be realtime.

The sheer concept of a "Sonic" RPG is just flawed. I've said this before, but basically, Sonic is entirely about flow and fast-paced action. RPGs are generally based on slow, tactical combat, the exact opposite of what the Sonic franchise is built around.

They won't ever make a Sonic RPG if they know what's good for them, and by the way the franchise is going, at least they know the basics. Not of gameplay, mind you, but what their franchise is about.

Sonic Shuffle was fun, and while not an RPG, it was certainly able to take a break from the usual "run through the level as fast as you can" formula, with surprisingly good results. If handled correctly, it could be done well.

I've never played Sonic Shuffle, but if it's a Mario Party ripoff like I've been told, it should work fine if they did it right, and it doesn't matter what characters they use as the onscreen avatars. The players in Mario Party are really just there to give a thematic design to the visuals, and the gameplay in Mario party is just using those Mario themes to effect in minigames.

However, in RPGs, the characters are absolutely essential. Mario Party would work fine if you ripped out all the characters and replaced them with, say, Sonic characters. The gameplay has no real plot and is just a bunch of minigames. However, in RPGs, the characters are essential to the gameplay, with character development and plotline being a major part of the game. If you ripped the characters out of Final Fantasy and placed Sonic in there, it would feel totally out of place, and honestly, rather stupid. I'm sorry, but no matter how much they try, Sonic plots have and always will be kinda cheesy, and for an action game, there really isn't much of a problem with that. Cheesy plots work fine for an action game. However, for an RPG, it just doesn't work. Imagine Sonic and company actually being serious about Eggman's latest scheme, instead of joking around and just beating Eggman again.

There are just an incredible number of reasons why "Sonic RPG" is an oxymoron. It's a bad idea. Even IF SEGA was a decent developer capable of making new Sonic games that weren't shovelware, I don't think a Sonic RPG that doesn't suck is even POSSIBLE, never mind doable by the glut that is Sonic Team nowadays.

The only time a sonic rpg would be good is if it were say... a Tails of symphonia engine with a better combat running speed and various sonic battle moves.

:eek: That would be awsome.

He could be right, actually. I could see a Sonic RPG based on the Tales of Symphonia (Which I have sitting right next to me, coincidentially) engine, what with it's rather fast pacing and quick advancements during battles. Oh, and it's not turn based, so yeah, there's that too

I dunno. I like Kingdom Hearts' story, and all.. but the fighting is basically just mashing the X button.

There were enemies in Sonic Heroes that took more than one hit. I think we all (or most of us) can agree that that is just annoying.

Shuffle said:
I dunno. I like Kingdom Hearts' story, and all.. but the fighting is basically just mashing the X button.

There were enemies in Sonic Heroes that took more than one hit. I think we all (or most of us) can agree that that is just annoying.

Someone's never played KH2. That fighting system is probably too fast for even Sonic. And I'm not even joking.

I doubt an RPG theme, based on any engine, real-time or turn-based, could match up to the combat/action experience of Sonic. It simply would not capture it the way it does in the platform titles.

It'd most likely end up to be a free-motion Sonic Adventure-style title with random battles, and if it wasn't random, it'd turn out like Mystical Ninja (which I personally liked, but it doesn't hold up to plenty of other titles, which would be what we'd be going for by this sort of hypothetical conversation).

High Hat 314 said:
I doubt an RPG theme, based on any engine, real-time or turn-based, could match up to the combat/action experience of Sonic. It simply would not capture it the way it does in the platform titles.

It'd most likely end up to be a free-motion Sonic Adventure-style title with random battles, and if it wasn't random, it'd turn out like Mystical Ninja (which I personally liked, but it doesn't hold up to plenty of other titles, which would be what we'd be going for by this sort of hypothetical conversation).

Kingdom Hearts 2.

Zeshiro said:
Someone's never played KH2. That fighting system is probably too fast for even Sonic. And I'm not even joking.

I've seen someone play KH2. It's fast. but nothing is too fast for sonic. but yeah, an similar system would work really well with sonic...

Sonic RPG = Stupid idea, whover came up with which should be burned.

You just can't mix a Sonic game with any other genre. Shadow the Hedgehog tried to be like a shoot 'em up, but it wasn't. Had they done enough to make it like one it would have sucked out loud. Now try doing combining Sonic with an RPG. Total chaos, and the worst Sonic game ever.

Draykon said:
Sonic RPG = Stupid idea, whover came up with which should be burned.

You just can't mix a Sonic game with any other genre. Shadow the Hedgehog tried to be like a shoot 'em up, but it wasn't. Had they done enough to make it like one it would have sucked out loud. Now try doing combining Sonic with an RPG. Total chaos, and the worst Sonic game ever.

Hmm... I wonder what other sonic games have based a part of themselves on FPS games.

::glances around conspicuously::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back