Constant WAD in-game download failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I started to decide playing Sonic Robo Blast 2 online so I could get some additional content from the servers utilizing mods (whenever they be characters, levels, etc.) but half the time whenever I do this, when the download seems to be going good, the download suddenly dies down and freezes at one number, and in some cases, the download doesn't start at all, stuck on one frame of the title screen.

Is there anything I can do to ensure any .WAD file I download is successfully installed, or is this related to interior errors in SRB2 that'll be fixed in the next version?

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about downloading wads from servers that load them? Usually, that isn't the best way of getting wads for the reason that if multiple people try to get on at the same time without the wad, it bogs down the server and you probably will not get the wad. It is probably better to find the wad (especially if it is a large one) on the srb2 forums, or in google.

I am not sure if the SRB2 staff will implement a wad get feature in the future, where instead of downloading the wad from the person hosting it, will download it from a server from the internet. I think they are more worried about getting 2.1 netplay working at this point.

I think that is an error related with the netcode. This happens to me too, so when it's a big file, I just search for it on the internet rather than to wait for it to download through SRB2.

I am not sure if the SRB2 staff will implement a wad get feature in the future, where instead of downloading the wad from the person hosting it, will download it from a server from the internet. I think they are more worried about getting 2.1 netplay working at this point.

The main issue is the amount of restructuring required. Potentially you could have it download other EXEs and relaunch using that EXE from the SRB2.org servers for mods and whatnot, but you have to work out how to identify WADs, etc. Plus some probably restructuring of folders to tidy things up. Then you also have to start severely moderating things to ensure nothing malicious gets through, etc.

I think that is an error related with the netcode. This happens to me too, so when it's a big file, I just search for it on the internet rather than to wait for it to download through SRB2.
It's nearly impossible for me to download any wad bigger than 200 kB from a server, while I managed to download entire level packs in the past, even with way slower connections.

If the server has 10 wads of 100 kB each, it will send them all, but if only one wad is fairly bigger than 200, the download will freeze and then I get "server timeout", as AozoraJustin said, and I have to reconnect again.

As the server sends data to MS every 1 or 2 minutes to update the server listing, I'm afraid this is interrupting the download of larger files. Just my guess.

If of any help: I had an idea of short link, e.g. dl.srb2.org/xxxx, which could be added in the server info. Say, if I try to connect to a server and I don't have any of wads, SRB2 will show a list of missing wads (as usual) and a short link that, if followed, will redirect me to the relevant topic in Releases section. Obviously, it won't solve the problem of the servers bloated with tons of wads, but at least it'll help spread our mods. I tried to host a server with my mod, I noticed that not only the MStards don't have my mod but also they can't download it from my servers. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back