• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Tails Doll - Remade for SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icalasari

Been ages since my last take on this, and decided to bring it back. Going to release both a Lua version and a WAD version. Obviously the WAD version is going to be lacking in some features

srb20059.png

Features planned includes a custom Super Colour palette (hopefully in both versions), custom music for its super form (Lua only), and the ability to charge its attack for four stages (Lua only) - One which is just a short burst of energy, no real range. One where it fires a small bullet. One in the very last second or two of charging that can smash walls and even punch back Super forms, and then an overheat where it just explodes and disables the function for a bit, damaging both Tails Dolls and anything around

WAD will just have a regular shot that I have already balanced - It moves just slow enough that you need to think a bit with some bosses (especially Fang), but not too slow as to be useless

Still have lots of sprites to do for it and still learning Lua. Idea is to make it somewhat goofy yet a bit... Unnerving due to how it's goofy yet off

As for the tails dropping off its rear when firing, that appears to be a bug in SRB2 itself - MT_TAILSOVERLAY and Gunslinger do NOT play nice together, it seems

srb20029.gif
srb20028.gif
srb20030.gif

Still need to figure out how to stop crushing if it jumps near a spindash gap...

This usually happens when you character isn't able to spin, yet tries to make it through a small gap. The character will then fit, try to go into a spinning state, realize it can't due to the S_SKIN, and get crushed as a result.

Also, this Tails Doll is looking pretty good so far. Great work.

Finally, we'll have the full Sonic R cast in Vanilla SRB2 (I finally finished my polished port of Metal Knuckles)

srb20031.gif

I think I need to tweak the custom super colours some more

Also, yes the sprite does have banding, I'm emulating some older sprite styles including Sonic 2 which has banding. The head I'm fixing though as some of the angles have it way worse than I want

EDIT: Looks like a WAD only version is a pipe dream, oh well. Lua version it is

Last edited:
Had to take a bit of a break, my depression popped back up for a while thanks to 2020

Hello Darkness My Old Friend.png

Getting closer, have a gif for some progress, hoping to have all the sprites sans the followitem ones done this week so I can get playtesting for the base done (see if any sprites look funky in situations (besides, again, the tails because Gunslinger is butts with them), see if the stats need adjusting, and so on) and then onto the rest of the lua scripts

srb20040.gif

Had to redo the treads on all the shoes

@.@

Plus side, I THINK the PAIN sprites are done? Might need some tweaking for A4A6 but otherwise... Yeah

srb20045.gif

So hit a snag. Got the foot partially done, was about to give it the blending treatment...

Then remembered I'm partially red-green colourblind. I literally can't do that level of blending with reds

This... may take a while to figure out

Partial.png

(Also sorry for being on the CSS art so long, got sick so was resting some)

I'd imagine someone wouldn't mind doing a quick palette swap for it later on if you decided to just shade it something you can properly see (blue?) for right now.

This usually happens when you character isn't able to spin, yet tries to make it through a small gap. The character will then fit, try to go into a spinning state, realize it can't due to the S_SKIN, and get crushed as a result.
Bruh, that also happens with spin characters

I'd imagine someone wouldn't mind doing a quick palette swap for it later on if you decided to just shade it something you can properly see (blue?) for right now.

most people uses Green often because it have much more shading on it, so maybe using that color might help

Managed to somehow work my way through... Only for SLADE to go, "lol all your suffering is for nothing" and strip the shades I had to do pixel by pixel and memorize the locations. Ah well, the unsladed one will make for a nice image for release

unknown-8.jpg

Some text was altered after

most people uses Green often because it have much more shading on it, so maybe using that color might help

That wouldn't have helped much. Partial Red-Green colourblindness XD

Anyways, got only the continue and fireworks left, then scripts and the room for a later mod that I'll be using for screenshots for this one

Downside, still struggling with the charge code

Upside, I got the sound effect glitch fixed and got more progress

Downside, the progress turns the attack into a laser beam rather than functioning right

Upside, I think a laser beam may also work

Thoughts?

srb20067.gif

If people really want a laser beam that overheats in a second or two instead, I can do that, otherwise I'll leave that as an option if I can't figure out the stuff I actually want to do

EDIT: Alright, I definitely need to use this for something in the future, this is just hilariously ungodly (too big for the forum but also a pretty short gif):

srb20070.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back