Software vs. OpenGL Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Software. It runs faster-a WHOLE LOT faster, has better loading times, I don't use md2s anyway, and, in my opinion, it even looks better than opengl except in Community Build. Seriously, for me, in opengl, even GreenFlower Zone Act 1 lags somewhat. If that act lags, you know there's something wrong. Plus, Community Build starts in opengl and the png edition only supports opengl, so it's even more annoying. And, as an added bonus, there's no way to turn software mode on using the SF94 launcher (yes, I play that sometimes) so, for me, it's unplayable with bots (unless there's some way to get SF94 completely working without its launcher. There probably is, but I don't know it).

I occasionally used opengl in 1.09.4, but I still used software the most. Back then, they both ran at the same speed for me (at least I think) so it really didn't matter.

I prefer Open GL. Mainly because I can use a higher video resolution without any frame rate drop and it makes SRB2 look great, I have a very powerful computer after all. Also, in Match/CTF gametypes Open GL lets me look completely up/down which helps my aim.

I prefer Open GL. Mainly because I can use a higher video resolution without any frame rate drop and it makes SRB2 look great, I have a very powerful computer after all. Also, in Match/CTF gametypes Open GL lets me look completely up/down which helps my aim.

Yes opengl is great. But mipmap mode is shit. I use liner + nearest and 16 aa. works great

I find the both equal, although the shadows and colors are switched when I use it from the Net Launcher. I used it in SRB2CB and it was beautiful, it ran perfectly. Software is great because it doesn't make me flat when I'm falling from a spring.

Bumpety-bump because I like this thread and it's not as bad as that 2-month bump up a ways.

I use software exclusively now, although I used to use OpenGL a lot. OpenGL just doesn't look like SRB2 to me. The lighting sucks and it destroys the atmosphere of maps; if anything it makes SRB2's limitations look even more hideous. I like the look of software. I just looks so... good. It has a feel to it that is uniquely SRB2; if we went OpenGL-exclusive, the game would just look like any other game with bad graphics. Software mode has this good feel to it, it just looks better, one can develop an atmosphere in it better...what would be nice is a hardware renderer that imitates software's atmosphere, whether it be using shaders or an 8-bit filter or something. Oh! It's also something about the palette that adds to the look. It's just...good. Hardware is faster and has functional perspective, so one that shades like software would be the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back