Ash's Generic SRB2 Questions

Ash said:
... What symbols do you think would represent the various game modes we have? ... Also, it'd be awesome if you could tell me any fan/player-made game modes you know of. You know, diver and the like...
Halo 3 has a lot of simple yet explanatory game-type symbols and plenty of modes to look at, though you'd prob'ly need an EXE to replicate them.

One last question (I suppose) for now: What would YOU call fan-made modes as a group? "Other"? "Special"? "Misc."? What I mean by fan-made modes is like diver, king of the hill, hide and seek, etcetera! Also, it'd be ace if anyone could contribute by telling me any fan/player-made modes they know of and describe them in detail (except for the ones I have above, 'cause I already know how they work).

Battle- similar to Sonic Adventure 2's battle race or battle treasure hunt mode, socs made by yours truly. You can damage other people by jumping into them.

I had an idea a long time ago where Full Race was used, but instead of there being a plain exit, there was a time limit. There'd be rings, monitors, and enemies in the stage, and the goal would be to get as many of those things as possible before time's up.

So, basically, a Scavenger Hunt mode.

Ash said:
One last question (I suppose) for now: What would YOU call fan-made modes as a group? "Other"? "Special"? "Misc."?

This is really the question that's top priority for me as of now... I could really use the input, but I'm liking the input so far.

If you don't know, that doesn't really help...

Come on! I can't finish this level unless I get some input...! I really have no idea what to call it, and since lots of people here have good insight on what fits and what doesn't, I'm trusting you, yes you, the SRB2 community.

sorry but I just have to ask this... are you Segmint in a new account?
If so, Why the alternate account? Your not ban't.[/offtopic]

I would use Misc. It's shortest.

Chaos Knux said:
sorry but I just have to ask this... are you Segmint in a new account?
If so, Why the alternate account? Your not ban't.[/offtopic]
Yes, I am Segmint in an alternate account. Why? Because I felt that actually using my name is cooler than "Segmint", and I assumed if I had asked to get my nickname changed, they would have said no. I've seen them change maybe one or two, but only to respectable olbies, and I may be an oldbie... just not very respectable in mosts' eyes.

Anyway, I think Misc. makes the most sense. Short, sweet, and I suppose it gets to the point. I could also just branch the fan-made modes to the gametype you'd be using anyway, too... but I just don't know. It's a plus to have them all grouped together, but it's also a plus to see it as a branch off of a gametype, or another way to play a gametype. When you think about it, they're a little bit of both. Half gametype, half branch.

I'll just keep them seperate. It works for the design in the long run. Expect to see this in the next week or two (released).

Help, again.

See, I'm trying to make this effect: water reflecting on a floor. What I need is the textures to overlap. You know when you have a translucent water texture, and the control sector's floor would merge with the regular sector's floor? Yeah, that's what I want, except on a wall. Any ideas on how I could do this without being totally sloppy? (As in, I don't want to make a sector around the whole thing protruding 1 unit)

By the way, I'm making simple maps at the moment to try to improve my level editing skills. Here's what I have so far:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg273/AshForte/srb20330.png
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg273/AshForte/srb20331.png

The tables cry out in pain

(CTF)

It's a bit of an outdated screenshot, and there's also stuff you cannot see on the other side of the wall, but that's not important right now. ALSO, if you could; I'm starting to run out of ideas on what to put in my map. If you have any ideas you'd like to share, please, don't hesitate to post it here. That'd be REALLY helpful, thanks.

If you're going to act like a complete retard, then do it somewhere else. I really need the help, and if you're just going to do that, you can just **** off.

It's a waste of space, and a waste of time, and all it does is get in your way of something that can actually help solve the problem; I can see you don't care though, and that's fine, but did you really have to make it known by posting like an idiot? It's inconsiderate.

Ash said:
See, I'm trying to make this effect: water reflecting on a floor. What I need is the textures to overlap. You know when you have a translucent water texture, and the control sector's floor would merge with the regular sector's floor? Yeah, that's what I want, except on a wall. Any ideas on how I could do this without being totally sloppy? (As in, I don't want to make a sector around the whole thing protruding 1 unit)
UNPOSSIBLE MY GOOD SIR!

Unless you're fine with using a custom texture to fake it, in which case, do so.

On the subject of making your map better, perhaps you'd like to change your texture set? Itmightjust be me, but I have a really hard time thinking of anything decent to put in a map if it's GFZ textured.

Mine Maze textures come to mind. MM3 and the like, if I recall.

zomg like lol o hay guyz

So, I was planning out my own rendition of what I felt (and still feel) what would be a cool "Sonic Race Track" type race. The only problems, are that:

1.) Would a very long race map deter people from using it? I'm talking start to finish, one felled swoop, maybe 4 - 7 or 8 minutes... as much as I, and some others, like long maps, not everyone else can handle them. Is it really a problem if this map is long? (I'm thinking this depends on the quality of the entire map, though.)

2.) I don't know what other people would like to see (since I'm loosely basing it off of SRT and SRT II). I can work around this, but if I end up making something only I, myself enjoy... well...

3.) I just need to compile a list of level map themes that are used. I've gotten a few so far. If you could give me some ideas or themes, that would be awesome, guys.

4.) I'm also worried that if I use too many ideas and gimmicks in one map, I will have run dry, and have no other gimmicks or anything like that to use in any other maps I might want to make in the future. I want it to be awesome, yes, but I don't want to release everything I have in one map. It might be a waste... or it might not. The bright side is, I can always think of more gimmicky stuff later on. The only reason I'm really worried is that I want to not be too repetitious in level design. If someone makes a good map, but then makes other maps with similar mechanics and gameplay, it's not very interesting anymore; it become redundant.

What I have so far:

-Accentuate design and overall look of the map
-Have a base of linearity like SRT II, but only so loose whereas it could actually provide a different experience instead of being a complete ripoff of the original
-Gimmicks :D

Themes in mind:

-Grassy
-Forest
-Ice
-Lava/Volcano
-Rocky/Mountainous
-Metal/Factory
-Underwater
-Sky
-Temple

As you can see, those alone are not enough themes to build a map of SRT II's type. If you could submit any ideas to me via PM or this topic, that would be so freaking awesome, as I really need the help! I'd like to actually release something and show you guys what I can actually do rather than making a map, and then canning it in the middle for whatever reason. :(

Firstly, I have no idea what SRT or SRT II stands for. I might be able to help a little bit better if I did.

Long isn't bad if it's interesting and not very frustrating. Both Egg Palace and Metal Flower were so insanely strenuous and boring that playing them wasn't any fun.

As far as gimmicks go, I'd say use what works in your level design. If it feels like it would work perfectly, I say try it and see if it works. If it feels like the gimmick is out of place, then scrap it and start again. I'm not entirely sure what to say here; changing your gimmick usage because you don't want your next maps to be bland doesn't seem to be a good course of action. On the other hand, going all out on your map to make it the best ever doesn't seem to good either. Use what works in your level.

Oh, and if it helps, I try not to use anything too much from any of my previous maps. I'm probably a big hypocrite, though, because I seem to have fallen in love with beaches. *shrug*

Ash said:
"Sonic Race Track"

SRT stands for that. Originally made by SRB2-Playah. I'm sure you have it in your SRB2 folder, and if you don't: http://www.sendspace.com/file/xraiud

What I'm really in love with is the concept, but yeah... it's linear and only provides barriers. You're right on the "LOL GOING ALL OUT SUPER GIMMICK FORCE GOGOGO" thing being a bad idea; I probably wasn't going to do that already, because once you go over it in your mind, it just seems like a bad idea to use all you have on one map.

Anyway, play SRT II (the first one wasn't notable, so there's no need to put up a download for that). After doing so, try to give me some ideas and stuff. :D (You had answered 1 and 4, but not 2 and 3. :P)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back