Ash's Generic SRB2 Questions

Segmint said:
3.) For the ANIMATED lump, how do I add more animations into it? And, if I can't add new ones, can I add multiple ANIMATED lumps?
I was wondering about it too. I can't add new once. When I use swn program for ANIMATED lump. If I edit the srb2.dat file, the game will crash. If I rename it to something else, no ANIMATED lump is created. I can't modify ANIMATED lump in XWE, but I can in slumped, but then sigsev comes. Ahh!

I already figured that out a while ago. Just be careful when editing the dat, and make sure all the textures you're going to use are in the same folder the animated exe is in. That's all I did, and it worked.

Question:

How many units (for a sector's radius) is considered "too small for adequate player space"?

Not an entire level. I mean just one sector, or a series of sectors. For entire level sizes, I just make each part one at a time, and see if the size is good enough for gameplay.

It really comes down to a design choice. Honestly, I wouldn't say that there is some standard like you're thinking of, and I don't think there should be. Whatever hallway you're thinking of, it really comes down whether it makes the game-play more fun.

Well, it depends on whether or not the player is expected to turn around in the passageway. In general, you don't want a passage below about 256 units wide. However, if it's supposed to be cramped and you don't expect the player to want to turn around, you can go a little smaller than that.

Well, I have used some sectors smaller than 256 units, but I've been more cautious and gave room where necessary. Thanks.

How do I make an invisible water block? I'm trying to make it look almost the same for Software mode and OpenGL as much as possible, and this is something I need to figure out to keep it on the same path. I've no experience with custom FOFs whatsoever... The last time I tried to make one, the map sorta imploded on me. Any help?

Um, bump.

Also, I made an underground path. Should I apply this path to both the left and right sides, or just one? I ask this because if I make it on both sides, players might not be able to find eachother, and capturing the flag would be as easy as using the path and staying inconspicuous...

While to some degree I understand, I do think you should have as close to a symmetrical map as possible. I you want to, you could have the path not go from base to base, so that the player would still have to run quite a bit out in the open.

Or you could just, ya'know, ditch the tunnel idea entirely.

Well I got custom FOFs working, yay~

The tunnel is pretty much necessary, because there's no other way to get back up unless you use a very, very difficult trick that almost no one can use. (Hint hint, it uses the water physics to propel you upward slightly)

I decided to make it on one side, but I'll be making it AFTER I copypasta the left to the right, making it symmetrical. I'd rather not just freehand it because, well, why do it that way (and implode because of the tedium of making sure EVERY LINEDEF IS PERFECT) or just paste paste paste?

Also, I'm a perfectionist. Sue me. :< If it's not symmetrical, it's off (in my opinion). Simple.

Is it generally a bad idea to put WOP in a map? I'm trying to accomplish the near-impossible: successfully adding WOP in a map without making any real unbalance. I read on the wiki that it's a real challenge trying to get homing rail to work or auto rail to work... so I tried going a step further.

I don't know. If I just go with the simple "Rail + something" or "Auto + something" routine, it's just like any other map. Give a good player a rail, and easier domination is eminent. Same with Auto. Giving the players freedom to choose what combination they want to use is what I think something that would go well for players that haven't been able to experience the other combos. This would allow for players to find their own way to win with their own combination, and the best part is that you don't have to stay with the same combination the entire round, which allows for creativity on the entire skill curve. So even if you aren't that great at the game, you can still have fun mixing different rings defending your base.

Oh and, no, it's not going to be "lol homing auto rail". The map is fairly big enough to spread each type of special ring to different parts of the map without THOSE kinds of combos being allowed. And even if the respawn time is low, I've created a makeshift way to prevent this from happening.

Still, I'm not sure if it's such a good idea because the better players will GO for the homing rail, or the explosion rail, just because of the benefit of not having to aim exactly at your target, though it takes more time to recoil...

Sounds good. I'd do it, if I were you.

Also, this is one of those things that you could change after playing on it and seeing how it works.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back