Why School should be cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumperman

Why School should be cancelled
Its me Stumperman and have a Question for my homework.

I'm doing a Report on an "Argument" And my topic is why should school be cancelled. If you can post here and give me some of your suggestions and maybe you like school and want to say school should only have cancellations on Holidays.

One possibly obvious one is "It robs the young of their childhood, preparing them for a life of work that they are not yet mature enough to handle. This, in turn, causes further problems, such as social definciencies let on by studying required to pass exams that they are so urged to work hard for. Inflexible working hours can deprive a child of an active social life."

However, to sound convincing, if you're in a lower grade, dumb it down. I highly doubt that any teacher from a secondary school would expect that from a pupil. If you're around 14-16 (GCSE level, Key-stage 4, possibly also KS3 (year 9), in the UK at least), then it should be ok.

God. I don't when the last time I did one of these was.~

Wow, I would never have chosen such a blatantly flawed argument.

But as a born debatist, I suppose I can't help but contribute. The environment of school has a tendency to be pretty tense, and provoke alot of violence. The universal times also have a tendency to be inconvenient to certain students. In this day and age, online tutoring could be a nice alternative, so see what you can do with that as well.

Just my random thoughts, help any?

Because the snow is 3 inches high! <_<

The intention of School is to educate children and prepare them for the life they will have to lead when they grow up. The main problem is, that one of its benefits of bringing education to such a wide range of children also causes it to generalize all students. A grade level is more important than an age, and a report card grade is more important than an IQ measure. Some children learn things slower, so they are considered disabled and have to get special teachers... others pick things up really well and are considered gifted and need special programs. A teachers job is to teach, not to individually help every student learn in the way that they would benefit the most from.

I personally was one of those students who pick things up really fast, and one or two teachers went out of their way to help me, but others just ignored that and continued to make me work hard to learn something I already knew or figured out rather quickly. However I doubt I was the only one in my class that would've benefited more learning a different way. For this reason tutors are always considered more effective as supplementary, but what should be encouraged more are programs like home-schooling that are individual based.

Don't just use that though, as people discuss it in the topic, draw your own conclusion and base it off of that. You can't defend an argument nearly so well if it is not your own.

School sucks and needs to be seriously changed, but the basic concept is sound and absolutely essential. It's impossible to work in modern society without basic arithmetic, reading/writing, and social skills. Even minimum wage jobs expect you to be able to do math and be literate.

Oh, and as far as changes to the system that must be made, we need to have a mandatory second language. Pretty much every other country is at least bilingual, so our insistence to only teach English is flat-out ridiculous. And it has to be done at an early age, when the children's memories are still liquid as opposed to crystallized (seriously, that's the terminology they use in Psychology, as little sense as it makes) - that way they're more likely to actually remember it.

I'd say Spanish would be the best candidate for that language, too. Like it or not, it's apparently the most spoken language in the world, and a lot of the people you see out there speak it fluently whilst having a hard time with English. Honestly, I think my job at Staples would be so much easier if I knew Spanish at least semi-fluently - enough to answer basic questions, at least.

I also want to say Japanese, but that's my desire to import video games speaking, really. Realistically, as far as second languages go, Spanish is the way to go.

We learn German and French over here, Shadow, but we can drop them when we hit Year 10 (The year you turn 15 in, since I dunno how your educational system works)

School does not teach you about later life as it doesn't teach you the basic crap such as mortgages and insurance stuff, which people will be clueless about when they confront...

yeah i learn Geraman And French too, and i heard that (over here) they're making us leave school at the age of 18 and not 16

Well i want say it should be cancelled, but look it is in are society and im like 14, so if you ask me school does suck! I mean come on its boring, i know we need it but, come on cant they make it 7:00 to 12:00? Im the SuperSonic hedgehog! Im SuperSonicStar with high speed![/list]

light dasher said:
yeah i learn Geraman And French too, and i heard that (over here) they're making us leave school at the age of 18 and not 16

I'll be out of school by then, heh heh ^_~

My school actually has a huge variety of second languages (8), and encourages students to take at least 3 consistent years of language (that means, no switching from Spanish, to Latin, to Greek, etc.). School should definitely not be canceled; what the hell are you guys thinking? I mean, are you even THINKING about your degrees (not the measure) and stuff? "Oh, I hate school! It should be ******* canceled because it just sucks ass, and everyone here will agree with me. Hell, I don't even NEED school and college because *I'm already amazingly smart, and my proper typing skills clarify that, because it just does."

*This is what I hear from most of you.

I just want to get my Bachelors of Science or Arts, and then... do SOMETHING. I don't know what I'm supposed to do after that, but of course, I'm only a freshman. I still have many many years to think about it.

SSNTails said:
No. Chinese is the language of the future.
I thought it was Japanese.

Anyhow, school should be cancelled to give us kids, pre-teens and teenagers a break once in a while.

And school is sorta boring for me, but there is some classes I like:
Physical Education, Math, English, Musical Education... But Art bores me most of the time.

EDIT: I fixed the quote.

Japanese, Chinese, same thing.

And school doesn't need to be cancelled "BCUZ THE HOMWIRK IS TU HARD" or "MAH TACHER SUXXORZ"

And lawl hard.

So if school is cancelled we all become idiot's won't get a job (unless your already old). Sorry but I think that we need school to learn and become as smart as we can. Btw we would be like cavepeople if there wasnt' a such thing to teach us.

Ash said:
SSNTails said:
No. Chinese is the language of the future.

My school offers a Mandarin Chinese course as well. =P I doubt many schools have that.

My school has a forced Chinese lesson. There's this news thing-a-ma-jig in the morning each day (it sucks), and one of the parts of it is teaching you Chinese. This is something like how it is on Mondays through Thursdays (Fridays is a review, so it's like all of this times 4):
News: Hi. OK, today we're going to learn about clothes.
News: Now, this is a sock. *holds up flash card with a picture of a sock, chinese pronunciation, and having it written in both english and chinese*
News: [insert Chinese word here. I forgot it. (see below)]
The Whole School, monotone, and without thinking: [insert same Chinese word]
Then we forget the word immediatly, and "learn" another word through the same process, before the following dialogue happens:
News: That's it for today. Bye. Yatian. (I'm guessing this is Chinese for bye)
The Whole School, monotone, and without thinking, again: Yatian.

Ash said:
"Oh, I hate school! It should be ******* canceled because it just sucks ass, and everyone here will agree with me. Hell, I don't even NEED school and college because *I'm already amazingly smart, and my proper typing skills clarify that, because it just does."

*This is what I hear from most of you.
I'd make a joke about the fact that we're no talking, but it's too obvious...

The beauty of debate, Ash, is that even if don't agree with what you're saying personally, you still say it. Most people here are offering ideas because he needs ideas on that. No one said 'I don't need school'. We have one who said it 'sucks', but then goes on to say that it's our education system that's at fault, not the concept of school. We also have 'SuperSonicStar*', who doesn't fit your criteria and is seemingly trying to be a stereotype, from his 'in our society' comment.

For my bit for the topic, I'd say that a possible argument could be that schools tend to focus too much on the tick in the goverment's books and not enough on how well the child actually learns. Sometimes you are only told exactly what you need to pass, and nothing more. My school isn't like this but from what I have heard this is true. Also, a decent arguement could be led from the perspective of 'education drowns imagination', but I think I've rambled too much now, and I need to try to adjust some PC settings, so... yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back