rRootage: Bullet Hell on the Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombatwarlord777

"...What?"
I was going to post this in the Touhou topic, but everyone seems to be pretty enveloped in discussing that series. Anywho...

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/rr_e.html

Here's a freeware bullet hell game entitled rRootage. It's similar to the Touhou games in that it's vertically scrolling. Otherwise, it's much different. The game has four modes of play, each with ten progressively harder rounds, and four stages per round, ultimately adding up to 160 stages.

Each stage consists of five bosses (whose tactics mirror those of Touhou's). Unlike most of the Touhou bosses, however, rRootage's bosses fire completely random sequences of bullet formations, making for more unpredictable gameplay (which I predict you'll either admire or loathe).

Anyway, here are some screens.

15q53pu.png

Main menu

raby1v.png

The ever-resurrecting Boss doesn't start off hard...

raulv9.png

...But he'll make up for it later.

As you can see, the Tempest/Geometry Wars-inspired visuals of rRootage aren't as elaborate as those of Touhou. The techno-infused soundtrack also tends to get repetitive. And then there's the odd glitch that continues gameplay if you return to your desktop via the Windows button (be sure to pause the game first). I haven't gotten too far into the game yet, but I gather that the overall difficulty of rRootage is easier than, say, Embodiment of the Scarlett Devil.

I'll admit that this game isn't as good as the Touhou series, but hey, it's free and still pretty fun to play, in my opinion. I'd advise you all to at least give it a shot.

Last edited:
Don't forget there's a bunch of others from the same guy. Tumiki Fighters is my favorite out of all of them. Some of these are even in Ubuntu repositories (including rRootage), so check your Synaptic for them.

I had this for a long time after Ikaruga did not suffice to quench my thirst for more Ikaruga-action.
**** yes, IKA mode. GW mode was cool, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back