SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 01-02-2020   #1
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?

Default MotdSpork's Marvelous Thread of not so marvelous things.

Hello all, i've been working on a few things now that 2.2 has been released and i'd like to show them off. Please note that they are heavy WIP but the groundwork has been laid down for them.

This is for project SRBMegamix I originally had about 75 percent completed in 2.1, but with 2.2 changing Lua a bit and raising standards for addon makers, I decided to restart from scratch.

This is the new graphic used in the title screen.

This is the splashscreen and titlescreen in action. Keep in mind, like I said before, it's a heavy WIP. I need to adjust colors to play nice with SRB2's Palette. I also want the titlescreen to eventually look more like 2.2's ala using a map to show the background while still looking like Megamix.

These next 3 gifs show off the new boost aura and shockwave ModernSonic will have for the new 2.2 version of "ModernAbilities" I'm working on.

This gif shows the boost from further back allowing you to see the shockwave effect better.

This is for a better view from the side.

Let me know what you guys think and suggestions are always appreciated.

Tsumi: OH GOD OH FUCK MIDGET TAILS IS FIGHTING GIGA BRAK
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020   #2
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

Hahaha, SRB2Megamix. I worked on something like that back during the 2.0 days. I was a total novice back then so the results were complete shit. Excited to see more of your project in the future!
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020   #3
Golden Shine
Here to bring light!

It was fun seeing that boost aura get put together piece by piece. I definitely like how much more instant the boost is now compared to 2.1. This time, maybe have Sonic's boost meter very slowly regenerate over time so you're not too reliant on people's leveldesign, or get screwed over by others taking your enemies/rings.

Perhaps you could gain some boost gauge from certain actions like quicksteps, giving it more incentive to be used.

(SRB2 2.1) ● SRB2 Metroid Edition(Samus.wad)
Golden Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020   #4
MotdSpork

Time for a quick update on ModernSonic. I've added a new boost bar graphic and added ways to get boost energy back.

Rings now follow Sonic when he boosts near them, even if he stops boosting and they're already following him. That way you don't have rings flinging around if you decide to stop boosting with them following you in the first place.
This gif is a bit older, as I didn't have the boost bar implemented yet.

This is the new boost meter as well as showing that you can obtain more energy from killing enemies and collecting rings.

This just shows off the speed your boost energy decreases as well as being able to break through spikes while boosting.

The boost also only protects you from contact with enemies. No more boosting over lava or through other means of harm. Spamming the boost button multiple times also decreases your energy quicker just like in the games.

Old 01-05-2020   #5
TrustyGun
aka. Exoticus

Wow this looks amazing. Keep it up, can't wait to play as him!
TrustyGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020   #6
MotdSpork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Shine View Post
It was fun seeing that boost aura get put together piece by piece. I definitely like how much more instant the boost is now compared to 2.1. This time, maybe have Sonic's boost meter very slowly regenerate over time so you're not too reliant on people's leveldesign, or get screwed over by others taking your enemies/rings.

Perhaps you could gain some boost gauge from certain actions like quicksteps, giving it more incentive to be used.
I've been thinking of ways to give the player boost, perhaps I could make some kind of drift function but I'm not sure how that would work in SRB2 since the stages don't accommodate for a drift. Maybe boosting through spikes could also give you a small amount of boost energy, similar to how boosting through breakable objects in Unleashed would give you energy for doing so.

The boost meter has been extended but boost energy is lost at a slightly faster rate.

Old 01-05-2020   #7
Golden Shine
Here to bring light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotdSpork View Post
I've been thinking of ways to give the player boost, perhaps I could make some kind of drift function but I'm not sure how that would work in SRB2 since the stages don't accommodate for a drift. Maybe boosting through spikes could also give you a small amount of boost energy, similar to how boosting through breakable objects in Unleashed would give you energy for doing so.
Sure, so long as there's other ways than finite level-dependent resources. That'll increase compatibility with levelpacks and allow people to play around with their ability rather than feel like they're wasting limited resources on having fun/experimenting.

I'd suggest getting a slight recharge while standing still, and getting awarded boost gauge by using abilities you might not otherwise use much, like the Quick Step and slide. That should help his entire moveset come together nicely.

Old 01-05-2020   #8
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

I'd suggest flipping the boost bar's background and "Boost" text to the other side, so that the little "tip" (and text) at the top-left of the bar is moved from the middle-ish of the screen to the top-right of the bar at the peripheral vision/edges of the screen, to obscure less important stuff.

(In Sonic Generations, the "tip" and "Boost" text are at the top-left of the bar, but the bar itself is also at the left side of the screen there. Here, you've currently flipped the bar's position to the other side, but not its visuals.)
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020   #9
MotdSpork

Just a little post before I head off to sleep~

Last edited by MotdSpork; 01-05-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2020   #10
Pyrakid Wolfo

nice! i like the modern sonic!
Pyrakid Wolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020   #11
Simon_T
Pyro the Hedgehog

Your 2.1 version of Modern Sonic was pretty cool, but this...
THIS IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!

I can't wait to play as him in the revamped SP Levels owo
Old 01-10-2020   #12
MotdSpork

Default Update time

So it's been a few days since my last post regarding Modern Sonic so I thought i should go ahead and change that!

Spoiler: The Light Speed Dash has been added.:

Spoiler: New Stomp with all new effects and the ability to break Amy/Fang breakable floors.:

Spoiler: The boost is now able to break Knuckles walls as well as an added walljump.:

Spoiler: New slide physics with new frames for it. (From a friend):

Spoiler: As you probably saw in the last post I made, there's a new airboost.:

Spoiler: And finally, new jump effects and a new lock on reticle.:

Old 01-10-2020   #13
Golden Shine
Here to bring light!

As far as abilities and HUD is concerned, this looks like the definitive Unleashed Sonic for SRB2! I'm excited to give it a go. A shame Chrispy's going to commit suicide over this, though.

Old 01-11-2020   #14
teacup122

Man, I was wondering where Modern Sonic crawled off to, and now I'm even more afraid of him.
Keep up the good work, can't wait to mess around with him in netgames!
teacup122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020   #15
U.Flame

Modern Sonic looks fun! I'm also curious about the Megamix project and what you have planned for it. Will Sonic have the light speed dash and homing attack there as well as the other Megamix abilities for the other characters, like Mighty and his shield storage? What about the ability to activate roll in midair and follow up with their double jump?
U.Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020   #16
MotdSpork

All of that is planned to be in. Their abilities are going to be what they were as of version 4.0 as well as what was seen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZFJT-0kVlQ

Of course I have already made a peelout addon that's in releases so I could use that for Sonic, though I would need to tweak how fast it charges up since it was pretty quick in Megamix.

I need to remake the shield storage for Mighty because right now it's just using another script from 2.1 as a placeholder until I get around to doing so. He also has the Insta-shield of course and I still need to add a proper walljump once I figure out how I'm going to. Modern Sonic has a been a learning experience on walljumps though :P

Tails, I would need frames for his tail attack.

Shadow still needs to be implemented as a whole, though I need to ask Inazuma if I can use his Shadow sprites after he releases it for 2.2. his abilities will be pretty easy to code in. I had them made in 2.1 so it's just a matter of porting it to 2.2 and making any necessary changes.

Then there's Knuckles. That should be easy enough on it's own, I don't think I would need any extra sprites for that.

Anyway, ill be working more on the Megamix mod after I get ModernSonic released.

Last edited by MotdSpork; 01-28-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2020   #17
U.Flame

Yes! I'm hyped! What about their super and/or S moniter abilities? Those too? I was wondering how Super Sonic's homing attack in any direction ability would translate into 3D and how that would control.
U.Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020   #18
Sinny33
I am Metaltron Mouse on Dis

I think that Mighty should be implemented as a whole with new sprites because Hammer Drop.
Sinny33 is offline   Reply With Quote