Linedef Types 900 through 909?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
I have just discovered these new entries added to the list of linedefs on the SRB2 Wiki. Are they specified by some new config file? Have they always been here, or are they upcoming for 2.0.5? What's the deal here?

Undocumented stuff buried in the depths of SRB2's source code.

Grab the updated config from the repository.

Well, that just leaves one more question: what, precisely, do these linedefs do? We need that information for the wiki. And, as you guys probably know by now, I'm no good at reading code.

Translucent Wall just makes the main texture in that linedef translucent, without the need for an FOF. Fog Wall makes a "fog mask" in the shape of the main texture when there's fog on the other side. Try it out, you'll figure out what I mean.

These specials work on the actual linedefs themselves, they are not control linedefs.

Try it on a linedef with a main texture.

EDIT:
Ok, I guess I could specify it a bit better.

I'll give you an example (building a window):

- First create a rectangular sector with the desired width and thickness and raise its floor as much as the height of your window.
- Then, tag a Fake Floor Linedef Special to that sector and set the floor of the control sector to the ground level.
(This way the window's floor will be drawn on the ground but the actual floor of the sector will mantain the first height and so you can't pass through it).
- After that give a main texture to both sides of the window (I recommend a glass texture) and give them the Translucent Wall effect.
- Finally you'll most likely want to adjust its y-offset so the main texture shows up where it's supposed to.

EDIT 2:
Forgot to mention that built as I said will only result on the "window's glass". But it should be easy enough to make the rim around it.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
I have no idea how you botched up your link like that, reminds me of a time when ShadowHog linked to the cover of Sonic 3D (E) instead of Sonic Stadium.

That being said, there's not a _lot_ of uses for translucent main textures other than just cool effects, especially since they're limited by the size of the main texture itself. I wish there was a way to make the main texture tile across the whole wall.

Translucent walls could most effectively be applied to make windows where you don't need the player to go under or over them. See Midnight Abyss, or just about every other room in Egg Rock 1 and 2.

I wish there was a way to make the main texture tile across the whole wall.

You CAN do this. You can even specify the # of repetitions. See CEZ1! Plz document, somebody.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I had no idea.

Wait, SSNTails, how do you specify the number of repetitions? That would be even more useful for what I'm trying to do in DDZ right now.

Wait, SSNTails, how do you specify the number of repetitions? That would be even more useful for what I'm trying to do in DDZ right now.
You check Effect 5 and then set the wanted height of the texture in fracunits as the front texture X offset. If you want a 128-fracunits texture to stack three times, that would be 384.

EDIT: Actually, that doesn't work, so ignore this. That's the way it works for PolyObjects though.

EDIT2: Ahhh, got it. Effect 5 must be checked, and the X offset does control the effects, that was correct. However, the number of repetitions seems to be set up otherwise: 0 means once, 4096 means twice, 8192 means three times, 12288 means four times etc. In other words, the number of repetitions is the X offset divided by 4096 plus 1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back