• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Tempest Beta WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, you're wrong on that one. There IS a tiny SOC to make the lightdash work; without it, it would break in stupid ways. It doesn't have any visible effect though.

Precisely my point. Badnik, is it ok if I use this soc in future when this is published?

I added a thrust for the end of the script
when you have no more nearby rings, it thrusts you where you're facing.
It also makes you face towards the ring you're about to teleport to.

I swear, you seem to make out like you know Lua, but you don't seem to consider variables, which are a very simple and important part in code.

You mentioned absolutely nothing about there being a thrust at the end. You said it was a teleport, and that's it. I explained how if it was just a teleport, then it wouldn't work.

You explain virtually nothing about how it works, and if I get a detail wrong you say I know nothing about Lua.

Also, you know a variable in a Lua script is a value that is saved in memory for use later in the script and that how you mention it normally doesn't apply to what your saying?

EDIT:
Actually, you're wrong on that one. There IS a tiny SOC to make the lightdash work; without it, it wouldn't work properly. It doesn't have any visible effect though.

Ah. Did not know that. Still, he's claiming that part of your soc is related to sparks. (Don't know what he means by "spark soc", but whatever)

Last edited:
You mentioned absolutely nothing about there being a thrust at the end. You said it was a teleport, and that's it. I explained how if it was just a teleport, then it wouldn't work.

You explain virtually nothing about how it works, and if I get a detail wrong you say I know nothing about Lua.

Also, you know a variable in a Lua script is a value that is saved in memory for use later in the script and that how you mention it normally doesn't apply to what your saying?

Sorry, I think I went a bit over the top there. Yes, you're right, if it was just a teleport, then it wouldn't feel natural.
Anyway, I still assume that most normal people would assume that there was a thrust at the end, after seeing the gifs. (they're fixed if you didn't already know)

EDIT:

Ah. Did not know that. Still, he's claiming that part of your soc is related to sparks. (Don't know what he means by "spark soc", but whatever)

It basically replaces the spark with a fake spark, because when you collect the ring, it creates a spark effect, in which, it is still the ring instance. The soc fixes this.

Spriting technique and ability to create Lua code aside, I wanna talk about those abilities you gave your character.

WHY ARE THERE SO GOSHDARN MANY. Seriously! That's just going to make your character really overpowered and nobody wants that. But for the individual abilities:

• Double jump. This one's kinda cool and, since it looks like Tempest has below-normal jumping height, it should stay.
  • "Dive Thok". What would you use this for? The regular thok is already awesome enough, a thok like this is only good for undershooting platforms.
  • Teleport. No. Take this one out.
  • RunOnWater. I never liked this thing, and it makes water levels somewhat annoying. Not gonna miss it.
  • Lightdash. If it were me, I'd take this out, mostly because it isn't really useful at all and it'd just make the game go slower from all that Lua code.
  • Telethok. This is just a barely-faster version of the Homing Attack! However, I do like that you can double jump after doing using it.
There's also the issue of where are you going to map all that crap to. It's going to be real uncomfortable to play as your character if you end up using like 6 keys because of all the abilities. And, as said, all that Lua code could make the game run slower.

Spriting technique and ability to create Lua code aside, I wanna talk about those abilities you gave your character.

WHY ARE THERE SO GOSHDARN MANY. Seriously! That's just going to make your character really overpowered and nobody wants that. But for the individual abilities:

• Double jump. This one's kinda cool and, since it looks like Tempest has below-normal jumping height, it should stay.
  • "Dive Thok". What would you use this for? The regular thok is already awesome enough, a thok like this is only good for undershooting platforms.
  • Teleport. No. Take this one out.
  • RunOnWater. I never liked this thing, and it makes water levels somewhat annoying. Not gonna miss it.
  • Lightdash. If it were me, I'd take this out, mostly because it isn't really useful at all and it'd just make the game go slower from all that Lua code.
  • Telethok. This is just a barely-faster version of the Homing Attack! However, I do like that you can double jump after doing using it.
There's also the issue of where are you going to map all that crap to. It's going to be real uncomfortable to play as your character if you end up using like 6 keys because of all the abilities. And, as said, all that Lua code could make the game run slower.

1 - Double jump is to make the primary ability less of an overused one
2 - Dive thok is to boost you forward, and it's not as OP as a thok would be, as a thok gives you the advantage of being able to thok-to-win even if there's a lot of platforming
3 - The teleport ability is mainly there to get out of places you can get stuck in using telethok. I'm not changing telethok to a thok, because it doesn't suit Tempest's characteristics.
4 - Runonwater can be useful at times, but if you want, I can make a command toggle.
5 - Lightdash is just a gimmick that doesn't really affect gameplay, and it uses it's traditional key, toss flag.
6 - Telethok is there to act as a light-speed homing attack.
All this code is here for a reason, the only one I would consider removing is the teleport ability, but it practically needs to be there, although, you can cheat using the telethok to go through walls, so I guess I should make something to check that first, so the teleport ability won't be needed.

Lua code doesn't lag the game at all, that's like saying adding 2% of the actual game's code affects performance. Literally, despite this being over 500 lines of code, it all has reason, and the game it's self has at least 25000 (probably much much more) lines of code. And then you think under 1% of that amount of code being added will affect performance? You're joking right?

1 - Double jump is to make the primary ability less of an overused one
2 - Dive thok is to boost you forward, and it's not as OP as a thok would be, as a thok gives you the advantage of being able to thok-to-win even if there's a lot of platforming
3 - The teleport ability is mainly there to get out of places you can get stuck in using telethok. I'm not changing telethok to a thok, because it doesn't suit Tempest's characteristics.
4 - Runonwater can be useful at times, but if you want, I can make a command toggle.
5 - Lightdash is just a gimmick that doesn't really affect gameplay, and it uses it's traditional key, toss flag.
6 - Telethok is there to act as a light-speed homing attack.
All this code is here for a reason, the only one I would consider removing is the teleport ability, but it practically needs to be there, although, you can cheat using the telethok to go through walls, so I guess I should make something to check that first, so the teleport ability won't be needed.

OK, if you don't want to take any of the many of Tempest's abilities, that's fine. As long as you can keep the amount of keys needed to play as him at a minimum(3 or 4), I won't a problem.

And yes, making the RunOnWater thing toggeable would be very nice.

Lua code doesn't lag the game at all, that's like saying adding 2% of the actual game's code affects performance. Literally, despite this being over 500 lines of code, it all has reason, and the game it's self has at least 25000 (probably much much more) lines of code. And then you think under 1% of that amount of code being added will affect performance? You're joking right?

I dunno, man. It's the case for me. The game runs at a steady 35 FPS for me, until I add something with Lua in it. Then I start to have some framerate problems, seriously so in the starting areas of THZ2, DSZ1 and CEZ2. I just tested it using my Gravity Shield, which isn't exactly something as complex as, say, Axis2D.

So we have yet another generic recolor fan character with overpowering abilities? Even without all the accusations of resource theft this isn't something that could be released here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back