We need a Suggestion thread

rocklight124

An Avenger
I think we need a Suggestion thread for people that want to take request, but can't because of the rules. Like let's say there is someone who want's request or is just looking for some idea's. I think it will be helpful for people that need idea's, but can't think of any.

Not like that, but a thread for mod makers so they can get ideas if need be. Because I think it's kinda messed up that someone can't make suggestions for a mod when a mod maker might want to take suggestions, but can't because of the crappy rules about "what if". That rule just kills the community of Mod makers who need ideas. I think locking a thread for making a "what if" is messed up, because if a Mod maker wants to make that mod let them. It's harmless to let them fantasize about "what if". Locking those threads is killing their dreams and I think that's messed up, and no I don't care what anyone thinks of what I'm saying. Killing someones dreams is not cool under any conditions.

Not like that, but a thread for mod makers so they can get ideas if need be. Because I think it's kinda messed up that someone can't make suggestions for a mod when a mod maker might want to take suggestions, but can't because of the crappy rules about "what if". That rule just kills the community of Mod makers who need ideas. I think locking a thread for making a "what if" is messed up, because if a Mod maker wants to make that mod let them. It's harmless to let them fantasize about "what if". Locking those threads is killing their dreams and I think that's messed up, and no I don't care what anyone thinks of what I'm saying. Killing someones dreams is not cool under any conditions.

You can just suggest ideas to mod makers in the mod thread. A brand new thread isn't needed. By no "what ifs" they probably only ment the base game and not the mods.

You can just suggest ideas to mod makers in the mod thread. A brand new thread isn't needed. By no "what ifs" they probably only ment the base game and not the mods.

Yeah one would think so, but lately so many threads have been locked by the higher ups because it was a "what if" not connected to the base game at all purely only for the mod makers.

Yeah one would think so, but lately so many threads have been locked by the higher ups because it was a "what if" not connected to the base game at all purely only for the mod makers.

That's probably because suggestions for mods don't need completely different threads made for them. If you want to suggest mods for Modern Sonic or something, just suggest it in the Modern Sonic thread.

Mod makers are perfectly capable of coming up with their own ideas. 99% of the time "what if" threads are thinly-veiled requests.

That's probably because suggestions for mods don't need completely different threads made for them. If you want to suggest mods for Modern Sonic or something, just suggest it in the Modern Sonic thread.

This isn't for me it's for everyone else I don't really care to make suggestions, but I've seen way too many people get their threads locked lately and in infuriates me seeing their words get trampled on by the higher ups it makes me unhappy.

This isn't for me it's for everyone else I don't really care to make suggestions, but I've seen way too many people get their threads locked lately and in infuriates me seeing their words get trampled on by the higher ups it makes me unhappy.

I wasn't saying you wanted to suggest something. I probably worded that wrong. What I'm saying is that if somebody wanted to suggest something to a mod, suggest it in the mods thread instead of making a completely new one. That's what the comments are for. Feedback.

I wasn't saying you wanted to suggest something. I probably worded that wrong. What I'm saying is that if somebody wanted to suggest something to a mod, suggest it in the mods thread instead of making a completely new one. That's what the comments are for. Feedback.

That's fine, but what if a modder has an idea for a new character or level and doesn't have the skill to make his/her dream a reality and wants to make a suggestion to see if anyone will fore fill his/her request.

That's fine, but what if a modder has an idea for a new character or level and doesn't have the skill to make his/her dream a reality and wants to make a suggestion to see if anyone will fore fill his/her request.

If they don't have the skill, that still shouldn't stop them from trying. Someone shouldn't go to someone and ask for a mod to be made without trying it out theirself.

so you're saying you want a character request thread, which is completely and utterly against the new forum rules?

It's deliberate. SRB2 survives because of its modding community—all devs are former modders. It's in the community's best interest to have as many modders as possible.

If you have a cool idea, you're encouraged to learn how to do it yourself. You're not supposed to ask other people to do things without making your own contribution (whether it be coding, level design, art, music, etc.) It's on purpose. That's why those threads aren't allowed.

I'm saying I think the rules aren't allowing people to have the freedom I think they deserve.

I'll take the time to remind everyone reading this that the mods you enjoy the most take more time than you may think they do. The time the people who made them took to learn the skills necessary to start. The time it took them to perfect those skills into something graceful. The time it took to actually start making the mod you enjoy, and the time to keep maintaining it. By saying people who did not go through those ordeals deserve to just dump their pipe dreams in a thread and that they should be allowed to cultivate hopes that some modder will happen to grow fond of that idea enough to make it true means that you think you're entitled to their time more than you think you should use your own. I get it - it's completely possible that it can happen if we let it happen, but we don't acknowledge that kind of entitlement.

For a game that allows the amount of customization it does, the amount of documentation we have on each category, be it mapping, spriting, scripting, etc. is not to be ignored: there is literally no excuse for someone who wants to learn how to make something not to. There is never not someone in our community spaces that is willing to help others take their first steps in whatever modding category they may choose, and that's the freedom we actually care about: your freedom to make anything you want. It only makes sense that we cater more to actual potential content creators than people who think they're too good for the trouble, after all.

This is why no, we don't need a "suggestions" thread. The time you're wasting advocating that it's something that should exist is time you could be using to learn how to make things yourself. Save yourself the time.

Last edited:
Yeah, we're not having a topic like what you're describing. This would literally be going against our rules, ones we have set in place for a reason. We need people to at least TRY to do these things yourself. We don't want people to beg others for the content they want, or round up teams just to bark orders at other people. If you need help learning how to make your own mods, there's the wiki, message board, and Discord for all the help that you need. You may even get some people to do more hands-on help on the discord, but for the most part, it's all up to you to make what you want to see.

Apart from being against the rules re:requesting people make your mods for you, which has already been hammered in very well in previous posts, I feel there's something off with the idea of having modders make something that somebody else suggested altogether... There are theoretically many things modders could make for SRB2 (even within our rules), and they don't even actually have to be anything that people requested.

For instance, Dumbventure wasn't something anyone asked for, being a bizarre standalone one-map mod with its own wacky story and everything made for the OLDC, but it was great nonetheless for its time.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back