Question about a few 1.1 suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSNTails

What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?
How about a sector special that disables the player from jumping/spinning
How about a NO FLY ZONE?

Just curious, what would be the point of these? I can't think of any game that intentionally hinders things your player can do in a certain area.

If you have enough beef to back up the bun, I'll add them.

I suppose no-jump sectors could be used for pipes, or some RPG-esque thing going on. No Spin, well, is probably useless.

And instead of "No Fly", how about "No Ability"? Makes more sense.

Bet hell, what do I know, I wasn't the one who suggested these specials in the first place, so...

It's a very good idea if you want Sonic Adventure 2-esque level openings. You can have the player do all sorts of fancy tricks and not screw it up by jumping or spinning (Both of which screw up speed pads, which is what you'll likely use for this)

Basically, they'd be used for making levels in the Sonic Adventure vein of removing all relevant gameplay out of the game.

It would be nice to be able to place a no-fly zone at a certain height so that when Tails flies too high, he instantly becomes tired. Also, the walls above the height would become unclimbable for Knuckles. That would help add some anti-cheat into the game.

A no-jump area would be a great feature for some special stage ideas.
I mean, think of the possibilities. ;)

Mystic said:
Basically, they'd be used for making levels in the Sonic Adventure vein of removing all relevant gameplay out of the game.

I only quote SA2 because it's the most recent, and people might be more familiar with it. Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles used this technique quite a bit in its level transitions. The way I see it being used is not as a manner to take away challenge from the levels, but to add flow between them, exactly like one of the classic games.

I still love jumping off of the bridge at the end of Angel Island the moment Knuckles breaks it as Sonic and Tails, then using Tails to fly up to the empty animal capsule and from the top of that over the invisible wall to the platform where Knuckles is. I made a funny screenshot of this one time with Sonic on one side and Tails on the other, with the text "... What'cha laughin' at, Knux?" under it.

Sonicandtails218, I'm pretty sure transitions work fine without anti-ability sectors and things like that. Just look at Lightbulb Factory's transition to act 3. Sure, once you know it's there you can just jump backwards out of danger... But then, you can do that in Sonic 3 as well. The classic game. >_>

Yeah, and in Sky Sanctuary, Hydrocity, Launch Base, Mushroom Hill, Sandopolis, Hidden Palace, and Death Egg you all have scenes of non-control that transition into the next act. That Angel Island thing is a fluke, at best. I doubt that was meant to happen, but that's opinion. The point stands is that the one example of yours where you have control in a transition like that to my seven? I rest my case.

I don't see how ONLY disabling special abilitys or jumping is quite the same, anyway. And disabling everything is dumb unless you have something actually happening in the cutscene. But then, why not just port all of ACS scripting, if we're gonna be like that, so we can have an enemy (such as Knuckles) follow a path of map things while your camera is switched to another place in the map?...

Pointless addition unless you wanna go the whole 9 yards. And though it would be nice, that is still simply a dream, for the effort it'd take.

Yeah, that's what I didn't understand... just keeping the player from jumping or spinning is totally different from ignoring all of the controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back