I'm confused with the character colors

CometAce

Hey, it's me, Goku!
So while i was making my character WAD for SRB2 2.2, then i looked at the colorized version of the sprites of Sonic in the game files, i noticed it looked like this:

xTmpS3I.png

And when the sprites of my character WAD have the colors it's supposed to have, it looks like this:
kigUX3a.png

(When it's supposed to look like this):
ilRgDeu.png

Can somebody help me with this?

Last edited:
I ran into this problem too while remaking my character PK3. Make sure your 2.2 srb2.pk3 is set as a base resource and convert using existing/global not SRB2(Sonic) because I think it uses the old palette.

Last edited:
I did it. (Sorry for the very late reply).
SLADE's "Sonic (SRB2)" palette is outdated for SRB2 v2.2, being appropriate for v2.0 and v2.1 instead.

Using SLADE, open the "srb2.pk3" file in SRB2 v2.2's installation, right-click on the "PLAYPAL" lump, choose "Palette" > "Add to Custom Palettes", name it "SRB2 v2.2" or such (the exact name doesn't matter), click "OK", and then change the drop-down palette selection list in SLADE from "Sonic (SRB2)" to the new "SRB2 v2.2" option.

You'll then probably have to either re-map/-import the graphics for your custom character, or select all of them in SLADE, right-click one of them, choose "Graphic" > "Convert to...", set the drop-down "Convert to:" selection list to "Doom Gfx (Paletted)", set the current graphic's drop-down palette selection list to "Sonic (SRB2)", set the converted graphic's drop-down palette selection list to "SRB2 v2.2", enable "Enable Transparency", choose "Existing w/Threshold:", click "Convert All", wait for it to re-map the colours for all graphics, and then save the custom character WAD/PK3 now that the colours have been fixed up.

Using SLADE, open the "srb2.pk3" file in SRB2 v2.2's installation, right-click on the "PLAYPAL" lump, choose "Palette" > "Add to Custom Palettes", name it "SRB2 v2.2" or such (the exact name doesn't matter), click "OK", and then change the drop-down palette selection list in SLADE from "Sonic (SRB2)" to the new "SRB2 v2.2" option.

Creating a custom palette entry is not necessary.

First of all, you'll need to update SLADE. As of update 3.1.7 there are now two palette options for this game: Sonic Robo Blast 2 (legacy) for 2.1 and Sonic Robo Blast 2 for 2.2—the latter is what you'll be using.

Next you'll need to set srb2.pk3 as your new base archive, as described above. In SLADE, click the blue settings button next to the "Base Resource" box at the top. Click on "Add Archive" to locate srb2.pk3, then click "OK" and select srb2.pk3 again from the drop-down box.

StLT2NMk.png

jmrEvdXF.png

EOa6DHFR.png

This should be enough to display 2.2 graphics correctly. You may need to re-select the Existing/Global entry in the "Palette" box for changes to apply. For any graphics that need conversion to the new palette, you'll need to select Doom Gfx (Paletted) in the "Convert to" box at the top, then choose Sonic Robo Blast 2 (legacy) on the left box and Sonic Robo Blast 2 for the right box.

iDJqs1J7.png

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back