WHAT ABOUT RAILS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modern bad, classic good [/sarcasm]

Anyways I'm pretty sure I saw some custom levels that implemented some forms of Rail grinding, If I'm not mistaken SRB2 Riders has them too, of course I'm not asking for this to be part of the vanilla game, closest we got to Rail grinding in the vanilla game are the Minecarts, I doubt I'll be able to change some minds on this matter even though they can be used for some fun gimmicks or unique sections of levels, but they're definitely not out of the question for custom levels.

Last edited:
Modern bad, classic good [/sarcasm]

Sarcasm or not I think Mystic's criticism about the Modern serie is still valid and that the design spirit of Modern Sonic game don't go very well with SRB2

We aren't out to recreate Sonic Adventure. We're out to recreate the fun of S2 and S3K in 3D. While cloning Sonic Adventure would just be playing Sonic Adventure again, basing it off the classic games allows for an original experience and something new that hasn't been seen before. Why would you want another Sonic Adventure game anyhow? What other features would we add into SRB2 if we did? An intentionally awful camera?
And this is the ultimate answer about this.

Anyways I'm pretty sure I saw some custom levels that implemented some forms of Rail grinding, If I'm not mistaken SRB2 Riders has them too, of course I'm not asking for this to be part of the vanilla game, closest we got to Rail grinding in the vanilla game are the Mine-carts, I doubt I'll be able to change some minds on this matter even though they can be used for some fun gimmicks or unique sections of levels, but they're definitely not out of the question for custom levels.
Then you're free to make your own grinding mod/level element.

Anyway let's not derail/bump the thread and we should also consider it solved.

I'm not suggesting this to be added to the game, we already have minecarts and they function pretty much the same way anyways, and to state the obvious I think everyone at this point is aware of what Mystic said, so I'd appreciate if you don't put words into my mouth.

Last edited:
This isn't about rails for a train, I think; they are talking about the rail ring, which makes the most sense for the thread's time, there wasn't a rail section at the time.

What is the rail ring? I have never heard about it...
I meant that maybe you could make the minekart invisible and having different sprites when you go on them, and depending on how you want it to work, giving he played the ability to jump off it.
And I don't want to have rails and grinding in the vanilla SRB2. I just wanted to give ideas for those who want grinds in their level pack.

What is the rail ring? I have never heard about it...
From the ringslinger game mode, it's a very fast ring that can shoot people from afar for the cost of a slower reload time (it's basically like Quake's railgun)

I can't speak for the SRB2 devs, but it's worth noting that this thread was from all the way back in 2006, which was a time when putting slopes in the game was absolutely out of the question. The game has changed enormously since then, and the only thing stopping me from being able to imagine rail grinds in a future version of SRB2 is that they're already so prominent in the modern Sonic games, which SRB2 has always aimed not to be like. That said, I would certainly be interested to see the game, or more likely a fanmade mod, implement rails in such a way that works well with the game's slope physics. It's certainly more feasible than it was 14 years ago.

There are also slopes in the classic games. However, the classic games are not running under the Doom engine, so we can't easily do that. Loops are not possible. Slopes are possible but very hard

Ya did slopes! Dedication at its finest!

In reality it's just combination of ZDoom + Eternity Engine Slopes, just kidding nice work on the slopes indeed.

Motion sickness!
Not only that but Classic game had momentum-based gameplay, you needed to build speed to go past them.

In modern Sonic game they're automatic (you can walk as slowly as you could you'd still be dragged in the slope at high speed).

I understand that some people like spectacle in their platformer but having the controls taken away for like 3 seconds isn't good game design for me.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 has little to no automatic mechanics (aside from some stage gimmick), this is why it's great.

I can see loops working for sections like those that require you to build enough momentum and maintain that momentum to keep running on ceiling like those in the Green Paradise demo or Sonic Utopia, but as it stands loops aren't terribly needed so the game can manage without them.

Another problem with loops is that you need to make them as rails or else you could fall on any side (if you had free movement in them like in Sonic R)

Not only that but Classic game had momentum-based gameplay, you needed to build speed to go past them.

In modern Sonic game they're automatic (you can walk as slowly as you could you'd still be dragged in the slope at high speed).

I understand that some people like spectacle in their platformer but having the controls taken away for like 3 seconds isn't good game design for me.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 has little to no automatic mechanics (aside from some stage gimmick), this is why it's great.

Automation sucks.

Automation sucks.
That's what I was trying to say, automatons are just lazy and bad game design.

I wish the next boost game would at least offer you more than one alternate path and more than 3 lanes (or rails) to go from one to another.

That's what I was trying to say, automatons are just lazy and bad game design.

I wish the next boost game would at least offer you more than one alternate path and more than 3 lanes (or rails) to go from one to another.

In that case, I can tell you don't like Sonic Forces.

In that case, I can tell you don't like Sonic Forces.
So do I because it's still baffling me that we came from Generations to this one.

But let's not derail the thread even further because it's already an old one being bumped.

Yeah at this point I'm putting a halt to this discussion since it belongs in its own thread, not in that of a discussion that took place 14 years ago. How does one miss that a thread is 14 year old anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back