Files never finish downloading from server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppyfaic

Exactly this. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I can never finish DLing even a SINGLE file from ANY server on SRB2. No matter what it is, it will always suddenly just stop short, even if the file is 100KB or smaller. I'm not sure if it's just my internet, or something's wrong with SRB2? I wasn't sure where to put this, so this is just a shot in the dark.

That happens to me sometimes too. I often can't predict when it'll happen...I'm almost certain it has to do with the strength of the Internet connection.

I've heard somewhere that this is a bug with SRB2 and it happens when another person joins while you're downloading, but no guarantees on that.

Yeah, that issue is fairly common unfortunately.

I don't think it has to do with speed though, I have a 10mbps~ download speed and people with a tenth that speed have reported the same file to hang at the exact same amount downloaded.

It mostly happens to me when downloading multiple files or downloading a big wad in size, like the ones that are like 2.2 MB.

Maybe it's the netcode?

We all know it's crappy, but it might be the problem, and certainly not internet speed, implying that despite the speed, it's probably the strength of the internet too.

It happens a lot to me. I mean, it always stops at a certain amount. I believe it has to do with the netcode since almost everyone is having this problem.

It can't be our internet problem. It would be too much of a coincidence.

'New' news from old news?

I and 123Runite, long time ago, commented how unstable SRB2 2.x is to download large files*. It was when we are hosting Oceanic Cove Zone and other maps; and 123Runite was forced to send the files by other means since it's nearly impossible to download any file bigger than 200kB. Tip given.

(* _ side note: within 2 months, late 2006, my SRB2 folder had downloaded approximately 1GB of wads. Nowadays joining a server with wads is a pain even with a connection 5x faster than the one I had in 2006. If people want to make their wads more 'available', that's an issue that needs to be addressed.)

Last edited:
I've seen somewhere that if a person downloads a file, then another person starts to download the same file too,the download is becoming slower and slower, until when there is too much people downloading the wad/soc/whatever, it times-out.
Also,by using SRB2Net Launcher to join netgames, I noticed that a huge file could be downloaded(maybe after a few tries though). Once I was able to download a ~1500Kb file (After a few tries IIRC).

This happens to me often, but instead only on one occasion - when I'll get a TimeOut or the server shutdowns. I'm not really sure if it has to do something with numerous people downloading the same file, but it's not nice to happen when the server got a biga- big WAD that he got from some unknown place stop in the middle.

It usually happens to me, aswell. When I say that I mean, well, I DL files like the size of 347kb. Wat? It keeps timing out.

I remember having the same problem again and again.
My detective work determinated that the cause of sudden stop of downloading may be caused by a download limit INGAME which cause some file to not download properly.

In other words, I have a wad that is 20KB(Not big).It will download just fine. Then I have a 2MB wad. Whoops, getting bigger. I may download it as well. Then there are cases where people have multiple wads that you don't have. Then you got one with 100KB other one with 3 MB and more wads like this and eventually pass "The imaginary download limit" that I talked earlier and FREEZE in the download. There are simple way but maybe long to fix the problem.

1- You must rejoin the game until you get all files.
2- Look on internet for missing files with their exact names.
3- Desesperatly try to download one and unique huge file from a server and hope it won't freeze...(It happened to me because both steps above couldn't work properly due to the rarety of the file itself...)

I hope it helped you to understand how it looks like and how to fix it temporarly(Not sure about that word...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back