OpenGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone uses it.

Oh, it runs slow on you because you are either using terrible drivers for your graphics or just a terrible graphics card.

Nobody's forcing you to use OpenGL. People prefer it because in their opinion it looks better, but it's entirely up to you if you want to use it or not.

I use always software render, no exception. I preffer it, even though OpenGL runs fine here. Just I preffer software render. So...

First, I hate OpenGL because it blends the pixels by default. While this can be fixed, it's not very welcoming at first.
Also, the sprite scaling makes the game look like cardboard. The fact that I haven't found a way to turn the scale ratio down helps none.
Lastly, the walls are tilted oddly. They just are. :/

And for those of you who say "OpenGL doesn't mess up when you look up and down", I'd just like to say that I don't look up and down in first person. I like shooting my rings parallel to the ground, thankyouverymuch.

Edit: Also, OpenGL has some loose polygons floating around. This is a major problem in open-air levels, and it's not fixed in any of your "OpenGL EXEs" such as JTE. Doubt it can be.

I don't know why everyone seems to hate OpenGL's sprite scaling effect. I, personally, love the thing. OpenGL's anti-aliasing is also great I don't need totally pixelated display. Also, OpenGL doesn't use Trans. Tables. Meaning all custom palettes actually work without screwing up the entire game.

While the pixel softening thing looks great on textures, it makes sprites too ugly for my taste. Namely, the white outline. :X

I only use OpenGL when playing in a netgame, because if I kill an enemy in OGL, it crashes.

Dark Warrior said:
Meaning all custom palettes actually work without screwing up the entire game.

You know someone could just add their own transtables that WORK with the new palette, right? ;)

Technically the game COULD build them on startup, if you don't mind waiting a second or so longer.

Sik said:
I use always software render, no exception. I preffer it, even though OpenGL runs fine here. Just I preffer software render. So...
I use software. but you cant do 3D card options in software mode.

SSNTails said:
Dark Warrior said:
Meaning all custom palettes actually work without screwing up the entire game.

You know someone could just add their own transtables that WORK with the new palette, right? ;)

Technically the game COULD build them on startup, if you don't mind waiting a second or so longer.

Presuming you actually feel like making them. (Which, logically, you would anyways), but it does make beta testing palettes a pain, since you'd have to rebuild it every time a slight alteration is made. In that instance OpenGL is, by far, the preferable choice, because you don't have to build the tables.

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea to have SRB2 generate the tables at startup. Far preferable that than rebuilding the tables every time a change is made.

These are my reasons for using OpenGL:
Software-fails.png

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/SRB2Shuffle/?action=view&current=srb20024.png

I also prefer filtered sprites to pixelated sprites, as well as getting a solid 35 FPS pretty much all the time.

You must have the image quality cranked down on your driver settings. I don't get white outlines in OpenGL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back