OpenGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, DW, but that doesn't really work above-water, does it? Nor in split-screen, eh?

I'm real glad that AJ has taken the initiative to redo the game's palette. Now with the varied saturation, we no longer have gray water in Software, which is really quite nifty. I'm personally an OpenGL user, but it will still benefit things like title-screen textures. Those also tend to look pretty bad when you don't have variable saturation.

SSNTails said:
Dark Warrior said:
I was rather hoping for in-game palette swap for underwater effects.

And how would that be done for when you're out of the water looking at it?

Well, it wouldn't. But it'd be better than a simple range of ugly colors. Like Blue & Gray are currently. I'd rather have blue-tinted everything than blue & gray.

FoxBlitzz said:
I'm real glad that AJ has taken the initiative to redo the game's palette.

Neo did it. SSN just hijacked it and ripped it apart. At least, judging from Finalpal.png, Neo's is far better. :<

Shuffle. What does "Anisotropic" mean?

Anisotropic filtering is a special feature on modern video cards that helps sharpen blurred distant textures. Basically, it keeps those textures about as sharp as without mip-mapping (nearest neighbor), but makes them less flickery, and moire patterns are much less apparent. I use it because, for one, I have the horsepower it takes, and two, it actually does some sub-pixel sampling on distant textures, to reduce the aforementioned flicker.

Anisotropic filtering, taken from wikipedia [citation needed]
Anisotropic_compare.png

Left is without, right is with. Gimme a second and I'll take a couple SRB2 screenshots, too.

Edit:
First is without, second is with. It makes a rather large difference.
srb20003.png

srb20004.png

Notice the blurring on the floor in the distance.

Dark Warrior said:
Neo did it. SSN just hijacked it and ripped it apart. At least, judging from Finalpal.png

Not PNG, BMP:
http://ssntails.sepwich.com/finalpal.bmp

I think the only parts of Neo's palette I ended up using are the oranges and the steel blue. He should definitely be credited for getting the ball rolling and getting me interested in doing something about it, though.

Dark Warrior said:
Neo's is far better. :<

You just want 16 pinks, purples, and cyans. ;) To be honest, Neo's palette doesn't have enough 'boring' colors, which are needed for good lighting and blending. But since OpenGL doesn't use the palette for lighting/blending, the problem only becomes apparent in software mode.

SSNTails said:
Dark Warrior said:
Neo's is far better. :<

SSNTails said:
You just want 16 pinks, purples, and cyans. ;)
To be honest, Neo's palette doesn't have enough 'boring' colors, which are needed for good lighting and blending. But since OpenGL doesn't use the palette for lighting/blending, the problem only becomes apparent in software mode.

I don't understand why a few couldn't be sacrificed, rather than eliminating the whole. I mean, Neo's palette opens up so many more possibilities for SRB2 than does the current 'new' one. Also, I don't see why colors such as that garish pink need to stay.

I'll Begin said:
Ah. But I doubt I have the horsepower for THAT. (before anyone asks, just look at my gaming rig details on my Xfire profile)
Actually, unlike anti-aliasing, AF has VERY little impact on performance, even when it's all the way at 16x. :P

When I play normally in Zim's Base Zone, the doors don't have knobs. But when I use OpenGL the doors have knobs. Weird. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back