I need help with a custom character I'm making

UrBoiToot

So I've been making a custom character mod, and I've set everything that is so far necessary up, and now I'm stuck for two reasons.

1. I want to add more abilities, specifically swimming whenever you are underwater, replacing the main ability until you are out of the water (I'd also like to make it so you can swim while in the low gravity sections of Egg Rock) and also infinite lives, but making and coding LUAs is beyond my expertise.

and 2. I can't draw SRB2 sprites, no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to do it. I have created concept art for what the character looks like (His name is Skapello The Hedgehog), but I did draw him off of hesse sonic since I can't draw hedgehogs myself (trust me on that, I just straight can't for some reason) and he is supposed to look similar to hesse sonic. and I may attempt to use the concept drawing on the left, which is him normally, as the character select screen graphic, but other than that, I can't draw the ingame sprites for him.

So basically, all I'm asking for is help with character graphics and the LUA for swimming and infinite lives.

I'll give you the link to the concept drawing here (It was also kinda done in a short amount of time, so I'm sorry if it looks a little bad):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QC_ltgvUbScy1RUPCJ6s6ztaaRKj7dvu/view?usp=sharing
And the link to the PK3 file of the mod so far (And I'm sorry for the random sound effects I added to this thing, those are just test sounds):
Moderator Notice:
link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, i've looked at this and i gotta say that the character looks great i guess, i haven't played with him yet but i might tho (but it would be helpful if you took some screenshots :V) Since i don't know what ability he has or if he doesn't have one then CA_SWIM would be the ability to make him swim and about the sprites idk how to make the srb2 style too but i like that you're having the idea of making original sprites instead of an recolor. You can give more information about what abilities you want your character to have, soo we can help you more easily.

Ok, i've looked at this and i gotta say that the character looks great i guess, i haven't played with him yet but i might tho (but it would be helpful if you took some screenshots :V) Since i don't know what ability he has or if he doesn't have one then CA_SWIM would be the ability to make him swim and about the sprites idk how to make the srb2 style too but i like that you're having the idea of making original sprites instead of an recolor. You can give more information about what abilities you want your character to have, soo we can help you more easily.
Well I mean, the current ability he has so far is CA_DOUBLEJUMP, since I'm thinking out of the water he should have double jumping as the ability, but when in water, he will swim, and I've put sprites that I found for that ability in as a reference or something. as for the sprites, I wouldn't say necessarily limited to SRB2 style, specifically I was thinking kind of how that one Toei/Junio Sonic mod right now kind of does it's thing with the sprites, but like how I drew Skapello in that drawing, both his normal and his super forms (I call his super form his 'Galaxy' form since it looks like he has a galaxy on him) to be exact. also i think making his hat a separate entity from his actual sprites would kind of make it easier, since the height of the actual sprites don't seem to have enough room on the top for said hat, but it could also double as a means of the hat having seperate physics as well, example being if Skapello falls for a long time, the hat will gradually rise off of his head into the air while still being on his head metaphorically, if that even makes sense.

Also thank you for complimenting how he looks

Last edited:
we can't make your character for you, but i suppose we can give you some advice and pointers as to where you should go

this is a tutorial playlist made by one of the srb2 developers that explains the barebones of how lua works. this should get you at least a basic perspective of how it works, and how to at least make a basic ability. the #scripting channel in the official srb2 discord server is also a place to ask questions regarding mods, but nothing more.

in terms of spriting, well there's nothing we can really do for that either other than give criticisms as to how it can look better.

nothing really else to say other than good luck on your character, i suppose.

we can't make your character for you, but i suppose we can give you some advice and pointers as to where you should go

this is a tutorial playlist made by one of the srb2 developers that explains the barebones of how lua works. this should get you at least a basic perspective of how it works, and how to at least make a basic ability. the #scripting channel in the official srb2 discord server is also a place to ask questions regarding mods, but nothing more.

in terms of spriting, well there's nothing we can really do for that either other than give criticisms as to how it can look better.

nothing really else to say other than good luck on your character, i suppose.

Well then, I guess I could do the LUA thanks to the tutorials, but with the spriting, I still don't think I'll be able to make Hesse Classic Sonic sort of sprites no matter what, and that hat thing, so I'll still need help with those problems. I could probably do some of the smaller graphics like the lives counter and the little continue icon and some of the smaller graphics, but I generally only need help with the actual character graphics.

Edit (This is one day later): also, what I meant by "double jump ability", was I had the idea of giving him the Whirlwind Shield's ability, basically giving you a double jump, at the cost of being vulnerable to attacks when on the second jump. I don't know if anybody has tried to attempt this yet, but if anybody has, I'd like to see the LUA, it'd make it a little easier on the brain if I only had to do the swimming LUA and the infinite lives LUA. but if not, then I guess I'll see what I can do, and if I come across a roadblock, I'll come back here. my main concern at the moment is just how I'm supposed to actually get the ability part to work, specifically how to get the part where it swaps out the double jump ability for the swimming ability when underwater.

A thought I've had but never actually done was if you could add TWO abilities using the S_SKIN lump, kind of in the way you give more than one flag to a character. I mean, it probably doesn't work (It would most likely break the game if you had two abilities mapped to the same input, in this case, both of the abilities are the jump button) but it would still be nice to know, just in case it comes in handy later on.

Last edited:
A thought I've had but never actually done was if you could add TWO abilities using the S_SKIN lump, kind of in the way you give more than one flag to a character. I mean, it probably doesn't work (It would most likely break the game if you had two abilities mapped to the same input, in this case, both of the abilities are the jump button) but it would still be nice to know, just in case it comes in handy later on.

Nevermind I just tried it and it doesn't work
I assumed as much
I Put it in like this

ability = CA_DOUBLEJUMP|CA_SWIM

All it did was give him metal sonic's float

Ok I've been trying to follow the LUA tutorials and stuff

either I'm just really dumb or this is just way too confusing for my expertise and I'm pretty sure it's both

Basically what I'm trying to say is
Yeah I can't do LUAs nothing is making sense to me

I definitely need someone to help me with the LUAs
In the meantime I'll be working on the sound effects for the mod

Edit: Forget what I said I think I just broke through the problem with the swimming and the double jump

So basically, while I was looking around in the LUA tutorials, if I'm correct, there's a way to give the character any shield ability even if they don't have a shield, basically making it their primary ability when not in water. all I need someone to do is basically make an LUA that does that, and maps the LUA shield ability to the jump button instead of the spin button, and i think that part will be good to go, making it so the last LUA parts for Skapello are making it so he can use the swim ability in the low gravity sections in Egg Rock (probably a somewhat hard but maybe actually pretty easy part) and giving him Infinite Lives (Probably easy)

And then after that's done, I'll just need someone to make new Hesse Classic Sonic-style sprites, just like Skapello's concept art I made (the hat could probably be added to the actual sprites instead of being a separate entity like I had originally suggested) and I can do the custom sounds, and then he'll be good to go!

Last edited:
Uh
I've been playing the game with the Skapello mod so far and I noticed something:

Moderator Notice:
link removed

...The Icon for the Extra Life monitor is not on the monitor. it ceases to exist.
What is wrong and how do I fix it?

(Also if you noticed, yes, this is a newer version of the test Skapello PK3, I edited more sprites, the lives icons for super and normal are finalized, I just have to add the hat)

Edit (After going into options): oh wait a minute the icon does show up but only when the models are turned off which kinda sucks

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I have an idea for the mod but I don't know if it's possible

Am I able to add a sound to the super transformation animation? because I want to make Skapello say "I'm the Scatman" when he goes super.

While it's fine to ask for assistance with your creation of character sprites and lua assets, it's not ok to ask others to create them for you. Rule #15.
I will also ask that you not post links to your mods in this section and instead post the section of code or graphics that you need assistance with. I will remove the links you have posted already.
I won't lock this thread immediately because I have faith you are trying your best to make your mod, just please keep these things in mind while continuing your topic.
I'll also ask that you make any links you share on the mb public so we are able to moderate them accordingly.

Last edited:
ok then.
I'll keep those things in mind, as you wish.
I wasn't generally trying to ask for people to make them for me, it's just really hard for me to explain stuff. what I was generally trying to say is I just need some help trying to make the graphics, since I can't figure out how to try and piece together the sprites to look like the design of my character, especially because all the rotations mess with my brain when I'm trying to make them, and I also need help trying to understand how to make the LUAs, since I've looked at all the tutorials I could find, but I couldn't make much sense out of them.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back