• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

New Netgame Launcher - Version 0.50 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogaland

I'm working on a launcher for SRB2 that queries the master server automatically, and allows game-joining without the need to enter an IP manually. However, I don't want to spend any more time working on it if there's insufficient interest or if the fantabulous-but-unreleased new official launcher (Mystic's, I believe) already implements its new features.

If you have any opinions on the matter, I'd be glad if you'd post them. Thanks.

EDIT: Version 0.50 is out. Click here for more information, or to download it.

Oogaland

Sounds like a pretty good idea, and could tide us over very well until Mystic's new launcher launches with 1.09. Just make sure that you don't include JUST the master server enteries; You've really got to install a direct IP connection method too.

I give it the "Go ahead".

Sounds like a good idea, it'd be nice if you could get the wad browser thingie to check in sub-directories, too, I always have to use the -file parameter to load up wads in different folders :/.

Launcher

Thanks - I've extracted and adapted the necessary code from the game itself, but this should still come in useful.

Oogaland

Re: New Netgame Launcher - Worth the Bother?

Oogaland said:
I'm working on a launcher for SRB2 that queries the master server automatically, and allows game-joining without the need to enter an IP manually. However, I don't want to spend any more time working on it if there's insufficient interest or if the fantabulous-but-unreleased new official launcher (Mystic's, I believe) already implements its new features.

If you have any opinions on the matter, I'd be glad if you'd post them. Thanks.

Oogaland
The "official" launcher that I update is not going to support that feature simply because I'm a totally incapable coder in Visual Basic. The fact that it works at all is a miracle. I simply keep updating it to make it work under newer versions of SRB2.

SRB2 Netgame Launcher Version 0.31 (WIP)

Version 0.31 of the new Netgame Launcher can be found at http://fanmade.emulationzone.org/gregorsoft/launcher.htm. It's not complete by any means, but it implements most of the more frequently used options.

Most of what's visible (and enabled) works. One notable exception is SPMoves skin selection: the -skin command line argument just seems to be ignored. Has anyone else had the same problem?

I'll try to iron out any bugs some time soon. Version 1.0 should be a lot more fully-featured, but I should probably work on something slightly more useful -- i.e., unrelated to the Launcher -- for the next week or so.

Oogaland

Box.PNG

Horray for visual basic...

I just changed the picture. I got MSCOMCT2.OCX working properly, but now it's this.
*edits with a hex editor*

To fix on a copy of the binary .exe file:
Change offsets 6ddch-6e0ah
453A5C4F6F67616C616E645C4D7950726F6A656374735C535242324D534C61756E636865725C6D736572762E646C6C00
to
2E2F6D736572762E646C6C000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
in a hex editor. Works fine for me.

D'oh

I left an absolute pathname in the code. That's reprehensible, is that. [Hits head off wall repeatedly.]

Oogaland

Right...

Thanks, Hotdog. I would have had it that way originally, 'cept that VB kept whinging at me when I tried it that way earlier (For good reason, of course, but I didn't see it that way at the time. I found an absolute path kludge more pleasing. Serves me right.).

Anyway.......

Point your browser at http://fanmade.emulationzone.org/gregorsoft/launcher.htm for v0.33, which uses relative paths (yay!), and also offers a version with an installer for those deficient in OCXs.

I've tested it on another PC and it seems to work.

[Holds breath.]

Oogaland

Wow. This... wow. Greta job on pretty much everything; It works fine aside from the dll bug and it has some really great options concerning netgames. Thanks for including SPM in the list, by the way. It means a lot to me, and probably JTE but he's not here right now :roll: I also noticed that you allowed new versions of SRB2 to be added; That's a great big help, as SPMoves 12 is right around the bend for you guys =)

You might want to add ZIM to the list of characters, by the way. A lot of people (Like me) use him frequently, even though he's virtually a spindashless, slow version of Knuckles ^_^;

Also, if you need any graphic art (Like in the normal SRB2 launcher), or if you need a readme or something, tell me and I'll be happy to oblige.

Anyway, great job! Keep it up; and remember to fix that dll bug!

(PS: I did this with SRB2-Player and I'll do it again; Can I package this launcher in with SPM 12...? It'd be awesome if I can)

(PPS: I found a much, MUCH easier way to fix the dll problem, Ritz. Put zeroes over everything but C:\, copy the hex digits from the dll filename and put them after the C:\, put the dll in the C:\ directory and you're set. Sorry if that was confusing, it's the best I could explain it X.x;)

(PPPS: The -skinparameter doesn't work in SPM because it was replaced by a newer command. I forgot what it is though, so I'll check later today...)

(PPPP---*shot*

Heh, now it checks in E:\Oogaland\MyProjects for the dll files, looks like you messed up again ^_~

Shuffle: v0.33 should fix that. I hope. It worked on another PC for me, and it has a different directory structure. Please do tell me if the problem persists with this version, and I'll (try to) fix it.

Omega: Thanks. Feel free to bundle the launcher with SPM, but you might want to wait till v1.0, since there might actually be a small chance that that version will work...

Oogaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back