Making a sprite look like a sprite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapheros

Ok, I have made SOME type of progress on the wad i've been trying to make, except there is just one problem:
2m3pv2x.png
23iylug.png

The sprites have a white border around them that makes it look really obvious in game. I want to figure out how to get rid of them and make the sprites look like well... sprites!
Btw, I'm using Slade to do insert all the sprites.

Interesting looking sprite. Anyways, I haven't posted on the MB in a while, time to answer a simple question.

To make something appear transparent when importing a sprite into Slade, you'll need to change whatever it is you want transparent to cyan which is number 247 with SRB2's current pallete.

Hope that answers your question. Good luck.

That is one way on doing it. If you're like me who uses GIMP, I make the sprites different layers and then I add an alpha channel and I delete the background so it'll look transparent. I think other programs have this as well like PAINT.NET but I am not too sure since I have been with GIMP for a long time.

That is one way on doing it. If you're like me who uses GIMP, I make the sprites different layers and then I add an alpha channel and I delete the background so it'll look transparent. I think other programs have this as well like PAINT.NET but I am not too sure since I have been with GIMP for a long time.

I can confirm this. Paint.net does have the ability to remove stuff allowing transparency.

Well even with the ability to delete the background, you're just better off using cyan for the background as it's easier and quicker. It's just the matter of finding the right color. Or you could just use the color code for it. What ever works.

Interesting looking sprite. Anyways, I haven't posted on the MB in a while, time to answer a simple question.

To make something appear transparent when importing a sprite into Slade, you'll need to change whatever it is you want transparent to cyan which is number 247 with SRB2's current pallete.

Hope that answers your question. Good luck.
This is technically wrong. You can set it to cyan, but you don't need to; SLADE will happily convert any color of the palette to transparent for you, including the white color the OP currently has surrounding his sprite.

Cyan was just a convention some Doom editors used back in the day, as the Doom palette didn't have a cyan color, so it kinda stuck. Doesn't even have to be palette index 247; that was chosen because it was redundant with palette index 0 in the Doom palette, and no art in Doom used it (not true for Doom 2 or Final Doom, though). Other games like Heretic, Hexen, Strife and, yes, SRB2 actually do use palette index 247 at spots, so it'd be erroneous to assume that's always transparent when it's not (not that anyone here was making that assumption, but still, don't).

Oh, I had no idea. Over the years I've been using this since I was told to do it like this. Anyways, I will keep that in mind the next time I work on something Doom related.

Personally, it's easier to have something transparent than to use cyan. Thank you for clarifying this to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back