A Few Thoughts on Level Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned before in IRC, I think it would be a good idea to let non-devs contribute to the multiplayer maps. Unlike the single player campaign, the multiplayer rotation is just a compilation of unrelated maps, with no clear order and no TUDD that must be followed. When somebody last proposed this, Mystic's response was something along the lines of: "We don't use maps of non-devs because we can't edit them without permission from the author." The solution is simple: Only accept maps of authors who give you permission to do whatever you want with the maps.

It's not like popular community maps haven't shown up in the MP rotation before, anyway.
The last time I can think of that a map by a non-dev was included was in 1.09.4, with Tree Ring and Isolated Canyon (and maybe some others). Aside from the fact that they're both not very good, I think one of the reasons why Tree Ring was never ported is that the author wasn't around anymore.

Aside from the fact that they're both not very good, I think one of the reasons why Tree Ring was never ported is that the author wasn't around anymore.
First off, I'm pretty sure people thought Tree Ring was good. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have been included in the official rotation.

Second, it's more that we never knew who submitted it in the first place...

First off, I'm pretty sure people thought Tree Ring was good. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have been included in the official rotation.
Tree Ring is a notorious example of a map that was well-received at the time (got a perfect 10 and all) but didn't seem so great anymore a few years later. Pretty much every time it's mentioned around here, it's accompanied with an acknowledgment that it actually sucks.

Second, it's more that we never knew who submitted it in the first place...
Even I know who submitted it, and I wasn't around at the time. It was a user called "some guy", and that was his actual nick, not "we don't know who it was, so let's say it was some guy". The same user made Metal Flower and Egg Palace.

Even I know who submitted it, and I wasn't around at the time. It was a user called "some guy", and that was his actual nick, not "we don't know who it was, so let's say it was some guy". The same user made Metal Flower and Egg Palace.
Except last I checked, Mystic explicitly said it was "we don't know who it was, so let's say it was some guy".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back