Chili Dog's Opinion on your OLDC Levels

Chezi

Chili Dogs
1. Toffee Tor Zone, Act 1 by RoyKirbs
Aesthetics: As far as how it looks, it's just your generic grassland area with a river flowing through it. Nothing revolutionary. But for me, Yogurt Yard’s theme from Kirby’s Adventure put so much more life into it (It’s definitely not because I’m a huge Kirby fan).
Level Design: Despite it looking like an average grassland, it puts an emphasis on one mechanic: rolling around on a stone ball that can float in the river. While this does seem it would be an easier RVZ, it is an entirely different situation. First off, I was surprised that the ball would float on water. I then realized that the level naturally guided me downriver and was presented with basic ball-rolling challenges. Some other stone balls started coming at me from further down the river and realized that they could mess me up in a totally safe environment. This level screamed nothing but good game design for me.

2. Wild West Zone, Act 2 by Dead
Aesthetics: I’m a sucker for western themed stuff, so that’s an immediate plus in my book. The way the level transitions from it’s three main themes, mineshafts, canyon, and ruins, is seamless. Nothing feels out of place. Also, the way the ruins section gives off a mysterious vibe is perfect. I kept wondering why it was in the middle of the desert.
Level Design: Setting bizarre enemy placements aside, this level was really good. At the beginning you’re offered a choice between the minecart path or the regular path, and both paths are designed really well. They also seem to interconnect, so that makes it more open-ended

3. Hectic Harbor Zone by ACStriker
Aesthetics: A very unique type of level. It takes advantage of one of DOOM’s fatal flaws: restricted geometry. The fact that ACStriker was able to take that disadvantage into a lot filled with shipping containers is something that strikes nothing but creativity within the level’s design. It also looks astounding with a variety of colors that the containers bring. The music slaps really hard and I’m glad to have it stuck in my head.
Level Design: Holy heck, I could go on forever about it. There’s a clear path and, if you follow it, it’ll take you straight to the goal. But if you decide to start exploring, you’ll soon find out that there are multiple optional paths that are just open for you to explore. You eventually stumble across a Chaos Emerald and that’s when you realize that there are six more hiding behind containers, on top of buildings, and behind locked doors. The exploration in this level is fun, especially when you go to the ending area and pick up a wind shield that helps you explore the previous parts of the level. The enemy placement is done really well, only putting a few of them in one area to present more of a challenge, although, they never really get in the way.

4. Oasis Palace Zone by So2ro
Aesthetics: Really feels like a ruined temple. The enemies fit the theme well and the music taken from Twilight Princess helped to set the mood. One of the few cases where slow-paced music actually helps the level
Level Design: This was really fun to play through. It took great advantage of the dust devil mechanic and there were some extra paths that you could take with them. It really does feel like an official SRB2 level. I also thought that locking some springs, and therefore paths, behind spikes was an efficient way of making character exclusive routes. The enemies presented a challenge, but I never felt like I was being bombarded with them

5. Spyro Ripto Blast 2 - Snowflake Ridge by TrickyTex & Tatsuru
Aesthetics: Looks really pretty, but nothing too interesting about it. Pretty much just a generic snow level to me. Aside from the level itself, the hud and the little bug dude that hangs out with you looked really cool and unique.
Level Design: Although the platforming was a little difficult, it presents a 3D collectathon type of level to SRB2. I haven’t played any of the Spyro games, but I’m pretty sure those were in that genre. Collecting crystals were made easy by the little dude that would go out and collect them for me, which still preserved that highspeed action that Sonic games are known for. The enemy placement was a little wack, but it was an overall fun level.

6. Aqua Paradise Zone by Twins'R'Awesome
Aesthetics: Absolutely gorgeous. You can tell that there’s definitely some Hydrocity textures in there, but it definitely fits. The music is also a pretty big bop. I did notice one error in texturing and that was in the first major room. To the left there is a dip by the wall that I’m pretty sure is not supposed to be there that contains a softlock and unfinished textures. Other than that, amazing looking level
Level Design: The level design feels like an official SRB2 level. There’s exclusive paths, gimmicks, and a unique style to the level’s platforming. The only gripes I have is that it could be a bit more interesting in how the platforming is presented and the extreme overabundance of springs and rings

7. Cluttered Cave Zone, Act 2 by Riolucariolu
Aesthetics: The textures fit the themes perfectly, especially in the volcano area where there was tons of magma being spit out from the ceiling, even if they served no direct danger to the player. Really cool and well designed.
Level Design: This level knew when it wanted to go fast or focus on platforming. There were big open areas and small corridors. Rings were used as a guide of where to go and it was an overall great time. Not much criticism to be had.

8. Metallic Madness Good Future by Kwiin & Kanna
Aesthetics: A really pretty zone. I audibly gasped when I entered the fountain room. The music is also really good
Level Design: Very interesting platforming and zooming around. It’s very fun to play through, but there’s one section that has a glass window that you’re supposed to run through. Because the window doesn’t show any terrain behind it, you can’t tell what you’re running into. In my first playthrough of the level, I died to that pit because I simply didn’t know what to expect. Aside from that, most of the platforming is very forgiving, usually dumping you into a path that still leads you along the right way. I noticed that there were no enemies, but that’s simply just a byproduct of it taking place in the Good Future

9. Rustic Templar Zone by MK.exe
Aesthetics: The way the zone was textured gave the feeling that I was running in and around an old temple. The way it smoothly transitions between scenes felt natural. The song also gave off that desert vibe while still being fast paced enough to fit in a Sonic game.
Level Design: Overall, it was a really good level. There were obvious character splits that you can tell just by looking at them. The only thing that I think needs real redesigning is that huge momentum ramp that launches you into some springs. That part is fine, but it was very inconsistent when trying to hit the other springs

10. Valley Falls Zone by Hamsandwich
Aesthetics: The background is beautiful and was a good part of the 2D sections. Everything else was pretty much GFZ textures, so it didn’t look all that unique. The music was pretty good and reminded me of the beach themes in Kirby games.
Level Design: For the most part, it was a decently designed level. The underwater maze was unneeded and the 2D parts could use some work, especially on the transitions and making sure everything is visible. I couldn’t tell what were bottomless pits because terrain was in the way.

11. Concordian Coast Zone by Ktoby & Pronicthewedgehog
Aesthetics: It’s a pretty cool looking beach level. The aesthetics were used pretty well in coordination with the level design.
Level Design: Short and sweet. If the level was longer and kept this type of platforming the whole time, I’m not sure if it would have done as well, but it wasn’t. This was nice little level and might even be cool for speedrunning.

12. Magma Falls Zone by RadicalChaos_6922
Aesthetics: Nothing too interesting, but it did give me some Jurassic Park vibes. Some of the fan textures were misaligned, so it came off as a bit jarring.
Level Design: The areas were greatly detailed, but I found myself getting lost and confused a large amount of the time. The best part of the level is definitely the beginning where you have a clear path and you can go off of it to get an extra life. If the rest of the level stuck to that method, the whole thing would’ve been fantastic

13. Shadow of Atlantis Zone by akirahedgehog
Aesthetics: Really good looking zone. There was a lot of detail put into it and it really sells the fact that you’re travelling through an underwater ruin. Not much else to say, but it look really good
Level Design: The beginning section was a little iffy because the spring didn’t seem to put me directly in the zoom tube and the platforming that put you above the beginning section has you make a few tedious jumps and if you fall you have to basically restart. Other than that, it was a pretty solid level and I enjoyed my time here

14. Wasteland Wilds Zone by SunCyclone
Aesthetics: Kinda bland. The same few textures are used for everything. The music, although repetitive, kinda bops.
Level Design: Feels a lot like a 2.1 level where it boils down to just running and jumping with nothing too special happening, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t fun. Although it kinda is a forgettable type of level, it still allowed me to run free to my heart’s content

15. Overgrown Heights Zone by InferNOr
Aesthetics: The lighting is a bit jank, but other than that the level is astounding to look at with its junglescape. The music also sounded like a rave party and I was bopping the whole time.
Level Design: Aside from a couple of bits where you either can’t see what you’re doing or don’t know what to expect, it was a pretty solid level with some pretty solid running and jumping.

16. Cyan Heights Zone by PencilVoid
Aesthetics: The textures in this level are super unique and give a Hilltop Zone vibe to them. This especially helps when the main gimmick is gliding around.
Level Design: Aside from the beginning where there’s a confusing spring section, this was a pretty solid level. The gliding gimmick was pretty cool, but was upset that it ended after the second one. This level really does feel like more of a tech demo and I hope I’m able to see more of it later.

17. Crystal Cave Zone by CST1229
Aesthetics: You can really tell what CST was trying to go for, but it doesn’t really work out in the end. Everything just kinda blends into each other and becomes uninteresting for a while. Some of the pillars made entirely out of crystals look more solid than anything else and some of the paper textures didn’t look right the way they were placed
Level Design: Nothing really new or innovative, but a short paced level. It did feel very claustrophobic and not very camera-friendly and the enemies didn’t really help with that either. It feels like a Mystic Realm level, which would be good if this was version 2.1.

18. Heroes Hall by Zaxel
Aesthetics: Heroes Hall looks really cool. There’s a lot of story here and you can tell the castle has been lived in. There’s tons of rooms to explore and they all look like necessary parts of a place where a group of heroes once lived.
Level Design: The fact that the castle looks like how a castle should look makes it so that there’s hardly any room for real level design. There’s an awful amount of enemy spam and there’s certain points where you get lost because there are just some pointless rooms that don’t need to be there except for story building. If this wasn’t a Sonic game and there was an actual point to going to a room to get something other than a Ten Ring Monitor, it would make much more sense.

19. Hypertower Zone by WasifBoomz
Aesthetics: A generic tower level with not too much variety in its appearance. I noticed several missing textures and a lot of the moving platforms looked trippy because their bottom wouldn’t move with them. There was also no indication whether a falling platform would actually fall. The music is also super repetitive and sounds very bland.
Level Design: You know those Mario Maker levels that are made by little Timmy’s? That’s what this feels like. I’m not trying to diss on the level or WasifBoomz at all, but this didn’t feel like a Sonic level. There was a random zoom tube that put you all over the place in the first room and everything was super cramped. I can definitely see that this was a solid attempt at a level, but if it had WAY more polish and a lot more room to actually run around in, it would’ve been pretty good. There was a lot of heart put into this level and you can tell that by playing through it the way it was intended.

20. Anteggtica Zone by Radicalicious
Aesthetics: This might be one of the levels that has a cool design concept, but it doesn’t do much aside from the “snow-area-with-a-bunker-in-the-middle” theme.
Level Design: There is no form of challenge anywhere in this level. There’s no difficult platforming and the five enemies you do find in the level are right in front of the signpost, so they don’t even get anywhere near you

21. Myriad Memories Zone by ManimiFire
Aesthetics: Way too dark. I couldn’t see anything and the lighting was all over the place. Everything seemed to blend in together and nothing stood out. The only time I was impressed by any aesthetic was when the Zelda Puzzle Completion song played, but that only happened when I solved a room in the wrong way, making it feel more like a slap in the face.
Level Design: As I’ve stated before, this level was extremely dark. This didn’t help when I needed to platform or look for a missing piece because they were hidden away too well. Another gripe I have with the level is that the few platforming sections it had were just terrible. The first pulley room felt like it was designed for Modern Sonic, which is a problem since I was playing with Sonic & Tails. The pulley wouldn’t launch me in a way that hit the balloons and even after that, I had trouble with the next pulley because I couldn’t see the springs that were on the opposite wall and hidden in darkness. Also, the gargoyle puzzles are not that much fun when it involves pushing one across a long hallway. I also did not like the gun room because that felt a lot like enemy spam. Just know that if the majority of your players use Tails to to cheese it, there’s a major problem

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back