Bring back 1.09.4 Colors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen, this may seem like a rant, and I'm kind of new here, but..

Why not bring back 1.09.4 colors?

I liked them a lot, especially Dark Red.

And, if you don't want them, at least give one good detailed explanation of why you think these colors shouldn't be brought back (other than the fact that some colors clashed with others).

Because I for one, think that at least some colors should be back.

So basically, would you rather have even less colors, or a variety to chose from?

Because I for one, want a variety of colors.

Have you tried out SRB2CB? That's got some, if not all, of the old 1.09.4 colors (dark red, dark blue, etc...).

As for vanilla SRB2... I doubt that the developers want the old palette back 'cause the old palette, IIRC, had a lot of shades of brown, and I believe they wanted to emphasize other colors in the palette. That and they're working feverishly right now as I type this message to finish version 2.1, so any considerations to change the palette are in the back burner.

Last edited:
Have you tried out SRB2CB? That's got some, if not all, of the old 1.09.4 colors (dark red, dark blue, etc...).

Dude, SRB2CB does allow that, but however, I have a really good graphics card and other stuff.

But you see, I don't like SRB2CB a lot because (this does not apply to everyone though) I get sudden frame rate drops and it seems like it's gonna freeze entirely, I can barely even move, I have a good connection, good graphics card, a dual core processor, and a really good video card.

What could I mainly do to fix this?

And, if you don't want them, at least give one good detailed explanation of why you think these colors shouldn't be brought back
The main reason the player colours were changed around when SRB2 2.0 was released because of the palette the game works with. The Doom engine supports 256 colours at a time and the colours used in the palette was changed during development, as a result some player character colours had to be removed or changed to avoid breaking the new palette. The change was made for technical reasons.

The main reason the player colours were changed around when SRB2 2.0 was released because of the palette the game works with. The Doom engine supports 256 colours at a time and the colours used in the palette was changed during development, as a result some player character colours had to be removed or changed to avoid breaking the new palette. The change was made for technical reasons.

Actually, I'm pretty sure all the removed colors are still possible with the 2.0 SRB2 palette - see SRB2 Riders/SRB2 Kart, for instance:

charskincolorreftable-srb2riders.PNG

As you can see here, most of the removed 1.09.4 colors, if not all, are possible color choices, as well as some new colors (and of course the 15 vanilla SRB2 colors).

Now see, the reasoning I remember hearing for the removal of the colors is because they were dark colors, and so could lead to players in Match/CTF with those colors being overpowered in dark stages, blending in with the level itself and allowing them to easily sneak attack others.

...Well, I think that was the reasoning back then, anyway. Besides, they might be adding some new colors in 2.1, AFAIK - maybe even some of those old 1.09.4 colors, who knows?

The awesome part is we removed the dark colors, then removed pretty much all the dark stages other than Desolate Twilight and Mystic's castley level thing.

Even though SRB2 proper doesn't have too many dark stages, you can make a dark level for a contest or something. It is good to actually see every player and not have a color be a advantage/disadvantage in match/ctf.

I wonder though if dark colors would be back in if there was a slight highlight to the character in dark levels (only in match/ctf). That might not be a good idea either *shrug*.

Even though SRB2 proper doesn't have too many dark stages, you can make a dark level for a contest or something. It is good to actually see every player and not have a color be a advantage/disadvantage in match/ctf.

I wonder though if dark colors would be back in if there was a slight highlight to the character in dark levels (only in match/ctf). That might not be a good idea either *shrug*.

Okay then, that little statement you made there with dark levels is actually true, being a dark colored person in a dark level and sneak attacking anyone (especially with rails), is just cheap.

And if possibly when I get around to learning LUA scripts, maybe I can probably bring back at least some of the 1.09.4 colors.

Anyways, thanks for the reminder with the dark colors, thanks Torgo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back