PSN hacked; personal (and maybe financial) information stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was lurking Reddit when I found this interesting article on why the PSN was down here.

If you don't want to click the link, here is what it says:
Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (removed link for srb2mb, think it breaks the rules somehow). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out by 3rd parties (not Rebug) to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.
Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.
1. Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
2. First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11. 3. Word of "shady" sites finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website). 4. PSN goes down on 4/20/11
Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.
Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.
Edit #3: Ok, it looks like some various news sites have picked up this story and taken it out of context. Once again, this is all speculation and information gathered from various devs in the PS3 scene. It might very well not be the real reason PSN is down, but as the timeline fits, it's a reasonable explanation. Now, as to Rebug directly allowing this to happen, that's not the case at all. Different CFW's have had access to the dev network the whole time. This is not new news for people in the PS3 scene. It's what people have figured out what to do with the said network that has caused all the recent issues. Saying that Rebug is what did this is like saying a gun manufacturer is responsible for every death that happens with a gun.
This was interesting to me, as a lot of people have PS3s and this is the only article that actually makes sense on why the store was down.

Do you think this is the matter of why the store is down? Or is it something else? Discuss

Whatever be the reason the Playstation Network is down, I just consider having a monopolyzed system in wich ALL online PS3 games are tied to PSN is ridiculous, even in things such as Need for Speed or Metal Gear Online, in wich you use other company's accounts to log in.

I just feel such shame for the users who wasted their money on Playstation Plus.

An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/22/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/

A lot of people are suspecting hackers are bringing down PSN. This goes along with a certain group of people being unhappy that Sony sued Geohotz(..The guy that released the code for the Ps3?) and him having to settle the case.

Never heard of this Rebug thing until today. Good info!

If this is ridiculous, they're making it worse for people, Sony doesn't give a damn about not having online services, actually, if it goes on for long, it'll mean less money spend for them, seriously, woudn't it have been better to make all PSN games free or something?

Remember, PSN is free. Unlike a certain competitor which charges over 50 dollars a year for online. If they didn't care, they wouldn't try to put PSN back up.

I just find it to be a complete and total embarrassment that it took them a full week to come out and say that their systems were compromised, especially when there was even a remote possibility that their customers' private information had been leaked. The sheer extent of the information the hackers obtained is besides the point here.

Sony has failed on every conceivable level on this incident.

In addition to news of the theft hitting practically every international news outlet with clout, Forbes cited a data security research firm estimating that Sony could (in theory) wind up losing in the ballpark of $24 billion from this fiasco. Now, not everybody who used PSN handed over credit card information i'm sure, but still, take into account the surely pending litigation and angry politicians that will be breathing down Sony's neck at some point, and...

Fatality?

Last edited:
Unlike a certain competitor which charges over 50 dollars a year for online.

I guess that money goes to good use, haven't seen my credit card details stolen as of yet.

This is going to end up with a lot of lawsuits I suspect. Especially if you're in a country with a Data Protection Act.

Unlike a certain competitor which charges over 50 dollars a year for online.

Compared to paying over 70 dollars for every 6 months of playing WoW, saving about 10 dollars for a year subscription with Xbox live is decent IMO...

Again my opinion. There are better subscription prices out there, but when it comes to Live, I feel like what I'm paying for is worth it.

Q: Was my personal data encrypted?
A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/
So some misinformation going around. Yes, not everything was encrypted but the most important was.

Last edited:
An Adelaide PlayStation user whose private details were held by the Sony Corporation has had $2,000 of unauthorised charges run up on his credit card in recent days.
"I logged into my bank account just to check everything was OK and I found out there was some just over $2,000 in charges which I didn't personally accrue," he said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/28/3202046.htm

First reports of stolen credit card info. Although, there is no proof that this was due to the Sony leak. It is highly likely it is because it happened days after the data breech.

Edit
Funny comic
110427.jpg

Last edited:
So PSN finaly comes back

I heard that PSN will be coming back next week. What are you going to when it comes back on? Im going to play crysis 2 multiplayer

Nothing, I don't like how PSN actually forces you to have online to play games right, it's just ridiculous. And I'm also busy finishing Need for Speed Carbon at 100%, wich unlike most PS3 games, doesn't freaking depend of online features.

I hope hackers get the PSN down again, to see if Sony wants to keep their ridiculous monopoly with the accounts and not let you play anything if it is down.

I hope hackers get the PSN down again, to see if Sony wants to keep their ridiculous monopoly with the accounts and not let you play anything if it is down.
After all the nonsense I've seen you post, seeing you say this still shocks me.
By any chance, are you even sure what the word monopoly refers to?

Duh, obviously it refers to an entire merchandising system in wich a single company or person is the one who possesses all the products, and other enterprises depend on it or are controlled by it.

PSN is not far from being the same, all stuff you buy, play, use online while playing on the Playstation is being done trough one and only system, the PSN, heck, you even use a "Playstation Wallet" to buy the content game makers were too lazy to put in-game.

...and this needed a separate thread from the main PSN thread... why? I'll possibly be piercing Space Pirate skulls in Metroid Prime 3 on my Wii, or kicking ass on random matchmaker in Brawl. Most likely I'll merely play minecraft while watching ponies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back