A problem with my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed Ubuntu on a partition. After that, Windows gets a weird freeze in applications, the apps just freeze for about 5 seconds, which is abnormal. I thought Ubuntu was the problem, so I went and installed Debian Lenny. When I start up Debian, it asks to login. I enter in my username and password, and it just....freezes. I can still move my mouse, but it just won't give me a GUI after that, just the default Debian wallpaper. This is the i6886(Don't kill be if I got that number wrong) version, on a separate partition.

Firefox has frozen approximately 5 times writing this message, which took 2 minutes.

Sounds like Windows is doing something stupid polling a Linux partition over and over hoping to use its file system. Do you have any temporary/cache folders paths that point to your former partition?

Sounds like your Debian install is hosed too. Boot it in a console and try apt-get install'ing kde, xfce or gnome.

a bee said:
Sounds like Windows is doing something stupid polling a Linux partition over and over hoping to use its file system. Do you have any temporary/cache folders paths that point to your former partition?

Sounds like your Debian install is hosed too. Boot it in a console and try apt-get install'ing kde, xfce or gnome.

KDE was in Debian when I installed it. Apprantely I unrealized the fact that not all Linux distributions had a GUI upon starting.

There was a IFS driver that let Windows read ext2/3 drives. I removed it and it seemed to have worked at first, but the freezes are still there. Avast 4.8 scanned it and it didn't find anything.

As for the partition, it was made from free space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back