Can any of you suggest a free video convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellybones

Lawful Neutral
I've googled "free video convertor" but I am not sure what is the best to get, and I don't want to try all of them. I already tried a few that didn't even work for what I wanted.

I'm mainly looking for a (free, of course) video converter that can convert .avi, .mov, to .wmv (Or whatever it is that makes it playable as a video clip in windows movie maker) and it should have a feature to add subtitles in different colors to the video clip.

Any suggestions?

Well, VLC can convert into .MP4, along with other things (such as .OGGs), but I don't think WMV is on there. See if its what you need.

VLCs can produce ASFs, which Movie Maker can digest happily. There's a preset for that.

I already have VLC player, I didn't know it could convert. I think I'll check it.
Open up VLC, Media>Convert/Save, Add, open up the file, Convert/Save, Set the destinination file WITH THE EXTENSION, set the correct profile, start.

I have a little question myself when it comes to video recording/converting: I have recently been working on an animation in Flash, and wanted to export the animation into video. However, I am currently using Flash 5 (yes, I'm due for an upgrade) and wanted to know if there's a decent converter to take the .swf file and turn it into video out there.

Flash 5 does have an export video function in it, but it requires what I'm guessing is an old version of Quicktime. Or maybe it's just something with Win7, I don't know...

Sure, I could just try to google something up, but I do like it more hearing someone's recomendation then try to wing it.

Open up VLC, Media>Convert/Save, Add, open up the file, Convert/Save, Set the destinination file WITH THE EXTENSION, set the correct profile, start.

I'm not sure what to do with the profile. I selected .ASF/WMV, then saved it to it's destination and testrun.asf and converted, but windows movie maker still won't run it.

SUPER is the self-alleged ultimate video converter, which also makes it buggy as hell but when it does work, it's nifty for freeware.

As for subtitles, I have no idea, Sony Vegas maybe? I know there's ways to create subtitle files and merge them to video files, but no idea how it's done in entirety.

WinMEnc. It works with any audio or video format supported by mplayer/mencoder. It's small, powerful, and doesn't have some ugly non-standard UI skin that it doesn't need.

Just so you know, you can use AVI files in Windows Movie Maker. As long as you have a DirectShow filter for it (which most likely you do), you should be able to import the clip.

I don't think you can use MOV though. But hey, nobody uses MOV outside the Mac world anyways...

WinMEnc. It works with any audio or video format supported by mplayer/mencoder. It's small, powerful, and doesn't have some ugly non-standard UI skin that it doesn't need.

I'll try this out, and if it doesn't work, then the buggy one Master Jace posted. :P
EDIT: Winmenc looks good, but how do I just convert my .mov to what'll work movie maker?

Just so you know, you can use AVI files in Windows Movie Maker. As long as you have a DirectShow filter for it (which most likely you do), you should be able to import the clip.
That's what I thought, but all of a sudden they stopped working with WMM. They worked fine before..

I don't think you can use MOV though. But hey, nobody uses MOV outside the Mac world anyways...
I wouldn't care MOV if that's what the files imported from my camera didn't come as. But they do, so I have to find something that'll work with it..

Admin Edit: Please do NOT attempt to stealth-bump your topic by making a new post and deleting the old one. We can see deleted posts, and it makes you look really obvious. Don't try to pull this again. -FB

Last edited by a moderator:
olol I'm caught. Stealth-bump is a cool name, too.

When you upload videos, youtube might have some ads showing good converters.

My search for a convertor is over, I just need to figure out how to use Winmenc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back