The Bots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Plushima

Princess of Dreams
Judge
Ok, we have to do something about all these bots. I know there's already something being done but it dosen't seem to be working. One idea I got was to, on registration, give the user an encryption key, simple stuff like A = D or something like that, have the key be random each time. Then give the user an encrypted password and have them decypher it and type it in. Have that be a manditory part of registration and I think we may have something. Sure it would be a kinda complex javascript script. But it would probably be effective.

We might've just fixed it. Mystic and I renamed the 'Submit' button to the 'Schubmitt' button, and bots won't know to click the schubmitt button unless they were really smart. Theoretically, it should keep those spam bots out for good, unless they actually parsed the HTML of the submit form, and we tried to obfuscate that as much as we could without breaking something.

hotdog003 said:
We might've just fixed it. Mystic and I renamed the 'Submit' button to the 'Schubmitt' button

:lol: ROFLMAO! the schubmitt button...I hope it works!

Creative, there are a bunch of things you could do.
timbuS
Supmit
Enter the freaking input!
Registrify

You did change the actual javascript name and not just the value didn't you?
Edit: Yeah, I just looked at it. I like how you just threw in <-- Wheeeeee --> for no reason. Also case sensitive bots won't even get as far as knowing it exists.

Oh, I renamed the value to 'Send' and the name to 'Schubmitt'. I think it'd be better though if we could have a bit of PHP code to generate a new name for the button each time the page is refreshed, but that'd be somewhat useless.

Now, to register, the browser sends a different request containing different values then virtually all other phpBB forums out there to the server, so we should be pretty good.

hotdog003 said:
Oh, I renamed the value to 'Send' and the name to 'Schubmitt'. I think it'd be better though if we could have a bit of PHP code to generate a new name for the button each time the page is refreshed, but that'd be somewhat useless.

Now, to register, the browser sends a different request containing different values then virtually all other phpBB forums out there to the server, so we should be pretty good.

Well, really that would be better done with javascript than php. You should rename the submit button to something other than post though. (Yes I've been looking at the source code.) Maybe something completely irrelevent, like Chao.

Well, see, the problem is that people with javascript disabled (i.e. about 5% of the people who use the internet) won't be able to register, and PHP would have to interact with the code so that it knows which name the javascript chose when the request is sent.

hotdog003 said:
We might've just fixed it. Mystic and I renamed the 'Submit' button to the 'Schubmitt' button, and bots won't know to click the schubmitt button unless they were really smart. Theoretically, it should keep those spam bots out for good, unless they actually parsed the HTML of the submit form, and we tried to obfuscate that as much as we could without breaking something.

Is that who Test-user is?

Would it be possible to have the same thing Invision Power Board has? (the pictures with number, enter them, etc.)

Billy said:
Weird, How do bots possibly register then?
Well duh, image verification dosen't make it impossible for bots to register. I still think my encryption verification idea would work.

I'm just amazed at how much trouble they go through to post a little ad that no one even pays attention to. And what's with these bots who come on here to supposedly "Meet people"? You don't come on the SRB2 Forums to "Meet people"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back