• Don't know what homebrew is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonict

How many of you guys here have run "homebrew"? This:
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrew_(video_games)
Explains what "Homebrew" means.

If you want. Tell me what homebrew apps you run on your console systems.

I run on my DS: DSIRC, "Grey Area stuff"

PSP Homebrew: SNES emulator, N64 Emulator, Sega Genesis emu, firmware emu, and SRB2

GP2X homebrew: Sega Genesis/CD emulation, and SRB2.

I bet there is more, but I don't remember them all.

Sonict

P.S I couldn't figure out how to put that link in URL tags... I tried and failed.

Shu said:
A moderator doesn't know how to use URL tags. Shame.

Nope, not me.

You try putting a URL with brackets into a URL tag then, smarty pants.

I end my case.

PSP: DGENS (Genesis Emulator), SRB2

PS2 (Yes, I have a modchip): USBExtreme - It's not really homebrew, but it means I can stick all my games on a Hard Drive instead of using a load of DVDs and CDs... :D

I also play any old junk I can find for the PSP or PS2 that looks interesting...

Homebrew

Dreamcast: serial and broadband for SRB2 programing
XBOX: soft-mod, XBMC, tired to do SRB2 porting
Gamecube: SDload, N64 emu
DS: used GBAMP 2GBCF, moved to M3SD slot 2 2GB SD (battery is dead now, no better than a GBAMP now), and now R4DS slot 1 cart 1GB mSD w/ Ezflash V slot 2 cart
to play Moonshell (media player), QuakeDS, DoomDS, ComicBookDS, Dscent (Descent for the DS), dslinux, imgview(another comic book reader), lameboy, goomba (GBx emu for GBA), nesDS, SNEmulDS and "Grey Area stuff", rein(slot 1) and MP_save(slot 2) are very good for backing up my save games

Run homebrew? I make homebrew. :X

ChuChuDS.png

*runs*

Nope. I hope to find a flash cartridge for the DS and stuck some SNES emulation on it though. :3 I'm getting a DS soon, yeah. :X

I haven't looked at SNES emulation, but Genesis emulation is really slow. The DS must not have blast processing. :(

I've been into DS homebrew for some time. But I'll warn anyone who is planning on getting into it as well, emulation of SNES and Genesis are nowhere near perfect.

You're not likely to ever play SMRPG on DS due to the co-processor it uses. The DS is already more or less maxed out emulating just the base SNES, co-processors are out of the question. Earthbound is playable, but even if a game is playable there are still problems with mapping the SNES graphic layers to DS layers. The emulators currently available deal with this by allowing the user to change layer settings manually. The leading SNES emulator for DS is SNEmulDS, and it works extremely well for playing the DKC series on the go without getting the awful GBA ports.

Genesis emulation is actually full speed with jEnesisDS if you use the hardware renderer, but at the expense of sound. It's not likely that we'll ever see anything like perfect Genesis sound emulation due to the amount of additional processors that need to be emulated. Not simply emulated, but done so at full speed and in sync with each other. It'll take nothing short of a programming miracle. However, it's still great for playing Sonic games handheld, including the fantastic rom hacks like Sonic 1 Megamix.

GB and GBC are extremely well emulated by Lameboy, which even features a pseudo-bilinear upscaling mode which actually looks pretty good. It also has RTC emulation for the second generation Pokemon games.

The idea of turning my DS Lite into a type of PSP-ish device is a major dream for me right now, but I'm too broke to buy anything online, let alone, NDS homebrew. Anyone who does have DS homebrew, is a lucky gamer...

-_-

About that, the Datel "Games 'n' Music" is actually a pretty good introductory homebrew device for the DS, and is sold in real world stores as well as the internet. I use its predecessor, the Max Media Dock. Neither device is extremely well supported by Datel, but homebrew development has got to the point that simply using an alternative loader is enough to work around their faults.

I've been more interested in the M3 Simply and the SuperCard Lite series, seeing as those are oddly enough, where I look, the cheapest homebrew devices I can buy if I save up.

The idea of listening to every music track I have on my PC, on my DS Lite, is a fantasy, that needs to come true for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back