• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Tortured Planet: Final Demo Before Release!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looong post, part 2: Gritty Columns Zone

GCZ1:
To be honest, I don't like the visuals at all. The theme is nice, and the texturing fits, but the scenery is really awkward. First of all, what's up with these thing-based cacti in square formations? That doesn't make sense and it certainly does not look well. The same goes for the sector-based cacti, they don't look too much like cacti either. The AGZ-style textures don't fit at all. Apart from looking like remnants from 1:X (which they are), they kind of clash with the ACZ textures.
Now on to the gameplay. The opening rooms lacks direction and purpose, because it's too empty for being so wide. I'd suggest putting some visual eye-catcher there, to both start the level on a high note and give the room some purpose. You could also use it as a starting point for an alternate path or put secrets there, but you should do something. I really like how the cave section after that looks, since it has kind of a gloomy feel to it, but there's not much going on before I'm thrown out into the starting room again. After the first star post, we get to a interesting gimmick with moving floors and a nice-looking outside section with an unfortunately wasted rock spawner. Rock spawners only work when you make sure that the player isn't able to hide too easily. Here you can just tag to the wall and survive with ease. The next section comes totally unexpected, and if you thok at the wall in front of you, you fall directly into the quicksand and trigger it. That basically means you have two options: Button mashing or suicide. Make the quicksand rise fast enough to kill the player, and put a star post in front of that section. Also, try to make the player see that this is coming, so that he can prepare for the challenge.
Going outside again, I noticed the railway bridge. It's a nice idea, and it would have even been better if you included a second path there, but it's too obvious for a hiding space, especially when you hide things in both spots. After that, we are introduced to the DSZ1 crushers for the first time. There's a reason why the ones in DSZ1 had two rows: They are pointless otherwise because they don't provide a threat. The chance to get caught between those is low enough if ignore them, so they're ridiculously easy when you take care of them.
The room with gargoyle pyramid after that was somewhat irritating. Am I supposed to do something there? If not, why is it there? Give that room a purpose, regardless what it is. Directly after this, I get to hop over some crumbling platforms over quicksand. That wouldn't be a problem if the platforms weren't so ridiculously near to each other. Increase the distance between them, and if you wanna be really awesome, combine this section with another gimmick (PolyObjects, for instance) to make the room more interesting.
After another room with those pointless crushers (it doesn't get better the second time around), we get to an outdoor section that suffers from one thing: it's too uninteresting visually. If you change the setting of the level (like going outdoors), make sure to give the player some breath of fresh air by making this room look interesting. I really like that cave entrance shortly thereafter, but I don't need to be refreshed at that point. The cave itself sucks, however. Mazes are bad, and you should know it by now. The ending section features a good idea, but the room is so empty that I actually got bored while waiting for the quicksand to lower.

GCZ2:

When I said that this zone blew me away, I actually meant this level in particular. First off, I really like the torch idea, especially with those light blocks around them. Those square pillars give the level a sense of architecture. Overall, these elements made me forget that the textures still suck. Then we have that gimmick with the alternating crusher over small platforms. It might not be the most innovative thing ever made, but it works really well, and provides a bit of challenge that absolutely suits a fifth zone.
The gargoyle section with the scroller is shamelessly copied from Ezer.Arch's example wad, but since it's an example was, that's not a problem I guess. I really admire the idea, but I wish you could've done more with it. Right now, the left button is the only one needed. Insert a second path here, or put some obstacles in the way.
Tell me the room with nine buttons is a joke. If so, it's a bad one, if not, get it out of your head. It is as boring as you can get to press nine consecutive buttons just to open a door. Even if the visuals in the following room redeem you somewhat (it's exactly the change of pace that I meant in Act 1), it's simply a bad idea. In the following room we get the same crusher gimmick over a death pit. I like how you gradually increase the difficulty by doing so.
The next real room (as opposed to corridor) features some neat ideas with PolyObjects and moving FOFs. It plays really well and keeps me on my toes, but I would suggest two things: Make that room less bland visually. I see you concentrated on gameplay here, which is fine, but you forgot design the room itself somehow. Doing so results in your level feeling like an obstacle course. The second issue regards the PolyObjects. I'm sure you can do more with them. Right now they don't do much to me and I can just ignore them. You should make them go forward over the outside of the platform (as they do now) and back over the inside (to push you down if you don't take caution). The spinning ones also cause irritating glitches on the floor of the room, but that's not your fault.
I also like the next segment, especially how the Minuses follow you if you choose to get that 1-up. The next room has the same issues with the crushers as Act 1, and the scrolling floor looks weird. You could make that a waterslide with sand textures to make it look more realistic. Also, try to make the scroller faster, so that the crusher actually provide some danger.This could be automatically fixed by making it a waterslide, however, since you can't turn around then.
The rising FOF in that large square room with multiple levels reminds me of Aerial Garden Zone somehow. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say you stole the idea, sicne you didn't, and it's a fond memory anyway. I like how avoiding the Minus makes the platform sink again. I don't like however that the mid-levels of the elevator don't contain all that much. Put something in there.
The next few rooms are the highlight of the map. They include a adrenaline-inducing race against quicksand (this time it kills you if you're too slow, which is good), and the two-sided crusher platform that requires some careful maneuvering. The quicksand comes a bit unexpected again, so I'd suggest some visual cue. I also like the ending of that section with the crumbling platform, but I'm disappointed that there's no path on top. After a fast-paced section like this, an alternate path that requires enough speed to reach would be perfect, but as it is currently, this part feels a bit anti-climatic.
Then we get another of those "dark" rooms with crusher over death pits. A second one is perfectly fine with me, and since it's longer than the previous one, it raises the challenge a bit. I don't know if you meant the player to jump back and forth between those two columns, but it isn't needed to progress. The next room also needs a visual cue, or at least something that stops me from entering at full speed. I was killing several times by rushing headlong into that crusher without knowing beforehand. Make me stop dead before entering, and I'm fine with it.
The pillars in the last few rooms get in my way and succeed in totally annoying me and makes the section feels maze-like. It don't know what these rooms are supposed to be either. They're just "there" basically. Also, I feel that a level as energetic as this one needs a more fitting conclusion. See ACZ1 or RVZ1 for example. Throwing the End Level Sign into some random empty room feels anti-climatic.

GCZ3:
Good god, CAMERA MODIFICATIONS. They mess up my camera and render the boss almost unplayable. Not that it matters, because it's unplayable anyway. The quicksand kills me without giving any chance, which is bad because the boss can't really be beaten without falling in once, since it speeds up every hit. The concept is not bad, but I simply cannot enjoy this... well, not even beat it, in this state.

Overall, I think I like your mod so much not because of what it is, but because of what it could be. For some odd reason, it inspires me to have tons of ideas that I'm never gonna implement because I suck at mapping. There's still a lot of work to do, but this has a lot of potential as well.

You and Brown are the ultimate constructive critics. Seriously, I love the way you break down the level, go over what you like and don't like, and offer lots of suggestions on how the levels can be better. I'm busy with FSZ and LGZ right now, but once I've completed all the levels, I'm DEFINITELY going back to GCZ and doing lots of what you recommended. In fact, I copy-pasted your post into a text document so I can easily reference it later.

BTW, I've already fixed the camera modifications in GCZ3. One big update in the next beta (the last beta before the first true release) is that I've removed all (or at least most) of the inappropriate camera modifications throughout the mod.

Time for my review. I won't rate or review the boss levels.

SAZ1: I like the tide in this level. However, the level as a whole is a bit confusing, so I would rate this level lower for that. The brightness level is perfect for the theme of the level, and the secrets are well placed. The whole level is a bit short, but that's understandable for a first level in a mod. I got a bit confused with the waterslide area. No overuse of crawlas, which is excellent; but there should be maybe another enemy in this zone, though I'm not sure what. 7.8/10

SAZ2: This level was longer, and more intricate. I like the beginning with the canopy and the layer like effect you put in it. Very good texture variation in this level, and perfect light levels. The water part in the beginning if you fall out of the canopy is a bit annoying to get out of, as it's maze like. Overall a tad linear, but oh well. 9/10

ECZ1: Really good blend of fire and metal, though it's a little difficult for a second zone in a mod. Liked the platforming in this level, especially the way the lava came out of those tubes. 9.5/10

ECZ2
: Haven't played yet.

DDZ1: Too dark. But I like the general theme of this zone, kind of Dark City mixed with DSZ. Could have a bit more texture variation, and a custom tune would be nice. I can really say that DDZ as a whole was the most frustrating zone in this mod. I recommend, like SpiritCrusher, custom textures. I have some that you might want. PM me on the Shelter or here if you want them. 6/10

DDZ2
: Again, too dark. But of course, the loop part is AWESOME platforming. I love it. However, this zone has too many puzzles in it; the waterslide, the gargoyle puzzles, it's all too much. And the parts when you push a button and the water rises aren't too good for the level. It was frustrating. 5.3/10

SNZ1: Nice platforming, cool ice level. Haven't played much of it though.

SNZ2: Haven't played yet.

GCZ1: Really nice blend of ACZ textures and AGZ textures. It looked very nice. And the level was super long, which is good. 9/10

GCZ2
: Nice level, but haven't played it through yet.

Last edited:
But of course, the loop part is AWESOME platforming.
This is a contradiction. A loop is not platforming at all. You enter it, it spins you round, done. There's no kind of action involved, and it doesn't even look good, because it's blocky.

WoW! Fume Shaft Zone Act 1 & 2 are finished! Cant wait for beta 4

I think it s the "Best mod of SRB2 2.0"

Really? ...well, thanks! But it's in a very early stage, as you know, so it's going to be a lot better than this eventually.

Best levels of the mod: Drowned Downtown and Gritty Columns. I really enjoyed that levels! good work dude ;)

Man...I've just started Liftoff Gantry Zone, and I kinda feel way in over my head...It's meant to be based on ERZ, except with a few fundamental differences (like the fact that it's all still on Mobius!), but I just replayed ERZ, and it's way, way WAAAAY better than anything I could ever do.

Oh well, I've still got a few original ideas...

You don't have to make a zone as good as ERZ. That would be somewhat impossible, so just do it on a smaller scale and just try to make the level enjoyable. Comparisons to ERZ are always unfair.

Hey...get this! I have successfully managed to replicate the death-ray machine from Egg Rock Zone Act 2 that blasts a hole in the wall, and insert it in LGZ1 so that it works perfectly!

Naturally, I'll be editing its appearance and other things about it, so that it's not a 100% ripoff. But IMO, that was one of the coolest things in ERZ, so I thought I'd try to include it somehow...

Last edited:
I know you mentioned at some point that you might redo the levels entirely but some of levels are questionably frustrating because of your spring placement. Sometimes you can end up going in circles just to find out the exit is hidden in the level. If I see a spring after falling from a high place, I think "maybe I'm supposed to be going the other way" and end up confused. Don't get me wrong, the levels are nice to be honest, but maybe someway to prevent/limit the amount of backtracking that might be made from going down another path that links up with the main path. Do you get what I mean?

Ok, so as promised, here is my review.

First Level

• The sky needs aligning better
  • Some grass edges was on the ground but had the same floor texture on both sides, making it feel kinda pointless
  • Some of the caves was too dark, brighten them up a little
  • As the level progressed, there was hardly any thing-based scenery. try adding some more near the end of the level
  • Secrets felt way too easy to get, try hiding them better
  • The level ended too quickly, and there wasn't much exploring to do, since it only had 1 path (or 1 path that I could find)
  • Overall the level is pretty good, but still need alot of work. 5/10

Second Level

• The first part of the level (The place you start) felt very bland and lacking in scenery, try adding some more up there.
  • Again, secrets felt way to easy to find, make them harder.
  • Same problem again with the first level, the caves felt way to dark, lighten them up more.
  • Again, thing-scenery was in some areas, but lacking in others. Add some more in areas that need it.
  • Overall the level was good, but at times it felt like I was playing the first level again. Try changing some parts of the level to make it different from the first. 4/10

Third Level

• The level felt way too dark, lighten the place up
  • The design of the level was very plain and felt rushed, add some more and make it feel less repetitive.
  • Because of the design of the level, the boss fight felt alot easier than in the original GFZ, try working on the design to make a more challenging boss.
  • Overall the level felt rushed and lacked in scenery. 3/10

Fourth Level

• The same problem with the level again is some areas was way to dark, lighten it up.
  • The level needs more texture variety, especially the wall texture.
  • Some areas felt way too cramped, widen some areas up
  • The crusher part felt too much like THZ's one, change some of the crushers around
  • Some enemy placements felt cheap, like the one where you go on a spring, and as soon as you land on the platform, you hit the enemy with no way of avoiding it.
  • Overall, the level felt hard, and had a nice design, but some areas felt like they needed alot more work. 5/10

Fifth level

• Although not your fault, the moving platform is very buggy and hard to get on without falling off.
  • Some areas felt too dark (especially near the end), try to make them brighter
  • This level has very little thing-based scenery, try adding some more in some areas
  • Overall, this level is alot better than the others, but felt way too short and too much like TFZ at some points. 6/10

Sixth level

• The level felt pretty plain, try adding some more stuff to it.
  • The level suffers from what the third level did, the level feels rushed and repetitive.
  • The lava shouldn't be an instant death, make it damage fire instead.
  • Overall, the level was good in looks, but didn't play well at all. 3/10

Seventh level

• First thing I noticed was the level felt way to dark, brighten it up more.
  • At times, the level felt more like a maze than an actually level.
  • Texture is pretty much the same throughout the entire level, try adding some different textures here and there.
  • Some enemys was glitched in 1 spot, you might want to fix that.
  • Overall, the level layout was ok, but it had the same texture almost all the level, and it felt too dark to play in. 4/10

Eighth level

• Ok, I think it's safe to say all your levels are too dark, but even on the brightest setting, this level was just unplayable it was that dark, it seriously needs more light.
  • After dying several times, I gave up trying to complete this level, the water is just way too dark and you're surrounded by death pits that it's just impossible to complete. 0/10

Ninth level

• I like what you did with the water and enemys to make it more challenging, but the water came out of no where and gave me a wtf impression. I just feel the place the level is set and that water idea don't go well together.
  • The level was pretty basic, lacking texture variation and felt pretty rushed design wise.
  • Overall, this level was good, but needs more work. 5/10

Tenth level

• I have to say, I don't think the sky fit the level at all, try changing it some something more fitting.
  • Some area's felt rushed (Like the clouds), try giving them more detail
  • Some areas lacked in scenery whilst others had lots, try adding some scenery to the parts that need it more (mainly the outside areas).
  • Overall I found this level pretty good, it had some nice scenery in some parts but felt rushed in others. 6/10

Eleventh level

• Some area's lacked in scenery, try adding some more.
  • Again, the moving platforms aren't your fault but makes the level more harder than it has to be.
  • The level could have done with 1 or 2 more checkpoints
  • Near the end of the level, there was way too much thing-based scenery, try to get rid of a few.
  • I felt the oil deathpit was kinda cheap, it would be best if you changed it a little.
  • Again, the sky didn't seem to fit the level, try changing it to something more fitting
  • Overall the level was good and fun to play, but some areas need more work. 5/10

Twelfth level

• This level is the same as all the other boss levels, and that is that it's just flat out basic and rushed.
  • Ther was little to no scenery in this level
  • The boss fight was way too easy, killed him in around 30 seconds.
  • Overall, this boss was rushed, and could have been alot better. 2/10

Thirteenth level

• I had a hard time making out the theme of this level. some parts were a canyon-like level, and some was a pyramid-like level, and they didn't go well together at all.
  • The part where the sand rises, rises too fast, and if you're online, it's impossible to complete after that, that issue needs addressing
  • The level felt like it needed more checkpoints.
  • The extra life at one part was way to easy to find, try hiding it better.
  • Near to the end of the level, there was a lack of scenery, and in some caves as well, try adding more there.
  • Overall the level was fun in some parts, but annoying in others. 5/10

Fourteenth level

• Some areas lacked in scenery, try adding some more
  • Again, same problem as the previous level, as soon as the sand goes up, the level is incomplete-able.
  • There isn't much else I can say about this level, as I couldn't continue once the sand raised. Overall the level was pretty good in terms of gameplay but the level felt like it needed more scenery. 5/10

fifteenth level

• Same as all the other boss levels, it's just way too simple.
  • The sand is just so cheap, you sink way too fast, and you can't get back out
  • There isn't anything else to comment about really, as there isn't anything to comment about. Overall the level played pretty badly, and there wasn't hardly any scenery either. 3/10

Eighteenth level

• This level must be in progress, because there isn't anything in it apart from a ton of acid, a moving log, and a boss, so I'll save the rating for later.

Mod overall review - The mod still has along way to go. I noticed the maps aren't the correct gametype, so that will want fixing, and some levels need alot of work still. 5/10

Last edited:
Sniperific, this mod is single player only for a reason. It doesn't support netplay, so it doesn't need fixing for it.

Sniperific, this mod is single player only for a reason. It doesn't support netplay, so it doesn't need fixing for it.
I know that, I just normally test it in private netgames as it makes it easer moving from map to map. It doesn't NEED fixing, but it would be nice if it was.

Final version means that all levels are available, not that you stop working on it, I hope. I'll try this out and give you another overlong review later.

SAZ1: The main thing I don't like about this level is that is confusing and annoying. I went through what seemed to be a secret path, and ended back up at the beginning. >=(

SAZ2: I forgot how this level actually plays, but I remember that the springs confuse me and makes it seem like I am going the wrong way.

SAZ3: This boss seems soc'd. And if he is, he acts like he is on crack or something.

ECZ1&2: This level has looks, but it gets extremely cramped at some parts.

ECZ3: I don't think the lava should be insta-death, it should just hurt and some springs would allow you to get back up.

DDZ1&2: The water is WAAAY too dark.

DDZ3: I don't know anything bad or good to say about this one...

SNZ1&2: The background doesn't fit. But I LOVE the ice reflections.

SNZ3: FRRRRRRICTION!

GCZ1&2: Had many really cheap gimmicks and deaths...

GCZ3: Stupid purple stuff camps on the QUICKsand...

FSZ1: So far the worst zone here. The idea is great, but just badly executed.

FSZ2: The worst act of the worst zone. EXTREME lag makes this impossible, I got passed the lag by looking away from the laggy areas...

FSZ3: Spikes just don't work with eggmobile in this situation.

LGZ1&2: There are many minor problems with this level. (I'll post them in an edit)

LGZ3: My least favorite boss in this mod. But I don't blame you for these devastating glitches, I blame SRB2.

SZ3: This boss is easy compared to many earlier bosses.

AAZ3: OOPS. I skipped this one accidentally.

SSZ3: Are you sure this is act 3? This feels small for some reason, and damn this glitchy last boss of SRB2.

Also, I have to say the music I listened to on these levels =3.

SAZ: Waking Every God - Pain of Salvation
ECZ: Don't Say a Word - Sonata Arctica
DDZ: Prophets of War - Dream Theater
SNZ1: Winter Skies - Stratovarius
SNZ2: Paid in Full - Sonata Arctica
GCZ1: Nada - The Refreshments
GCZ2: Beyond the Pale - Pain of Salvation
FSZ1: Backdraft - Thrice
FSZ2: St. Anger - Metallica
LGZ1: The Truth is Out There - Sonata Arctica
LGZ2: The Outlaw Torn - Metallica
LGZ3, SZ3: The Final Countdown - Europe
SSZ3: Vicarious - Tool

These songs actually FIT most of the levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back